Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Microsoft might insist you buy a new computer, for your own good...

While Windows 11 is free for all Win10 users, that doesn't mean all Win10 users can migrate to Win11.

Quite a few will find their processors simply do not meet Win11's unexpected insistence for TPM 2.0, a  hardware-level security feature meant to reduce threats of malware. Meantime Microsoft has announced an end date for Win10 on October 14th, 2025.

It may be the first time a hardware requirement has had nothing to do with performance under a new OS. 

So if your computer is a wee bit behind the times,  you have four years to upgrade your computer to one of these newer processors or better:

WINDOWS 11 SUPPORT FOR INTEL
Intel 8th Gen (Coffee Lake)

Intel 9th Gen (Coffee Lake Refresh)

Intel 10th Gen (Comet Lake)

Intel 10th Gen (Ice Lake)

Intel 11th Gen (Rocket Lake)

Intel 11th Gen (Tiger Lake)

Intel Xeon Skylake-SP

Intel Xeon Cascade Lake-SP

Intel Xeon Cooper Lake-SP

Intel Xeon Ice Lake-SP

WINDOWS 11 SUPPORT FOR AMD
AMD Ryzen 2000

AMD Ryzen 3000

AMD Ryzen 4000

AMD Ryzen 5000

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2000

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3000

AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3000

AMD EPYC 2nd Gen
AMD EPYC 3rd Gen

Apparently you can also meet the TPM 2.0 requirement by purchasing a separate hardware component, but scalpers are already buying these up en masse to resell on ebay at jacked up prices, much as they have with all of the videocards the past year or two.

Sources:

Windows 11 is free, but your CPU might not be officially supported

What Is a TPM, and Why Do I Need One for Windows 11?

Windows 11 May Spark Scalping for TPM2.0 Chips, a Requirement To Run the OS

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

I really hope they don't make another tablet style OS, or copy Macintosh.

Whatever your computer is at the moment, in 5 years time by the end of 2025 you will need a new one regardless.. 

Hey, all I can say is that the user friendly flavours of *nix gets better year by year...

• Like 3

I wouldn't give too much on that announcement yet.

With the Windows 10 support confirmed until 2025 there is still a huge amount of time. When Windows 10 is officially end of life in 2025 hardware not having TPM2.0 will be at least 8 years old by then. Hardware that old is usually replaced earlier anyways, so I doubt that many will be forced into new hardware by Windows 11, since they will switch sooner anyways.

Second is that Microsoft wants to push Windows 11 as fast as possible, so if the majority of users can't upgrade they will have to postpone the TPM2.0 requirement for some years anyways.

Looking on the bright side: Windows is the best operating system for desktop clients available. With features like running Android apps natively on Windows 11 including stuff like Amazon App Store by default there are great things and opportunities to come which will make working with Windows even more efficient.

• Like 1

unless you're hardcore gaming and chasing top fps~.. it's unlikely to switch hardware before it ages to 4-6years/+, it's more common than not

it's only in the movies that everybody have a top-notch pc collecting dust in the basement.. and a mega cluster server rack just heating the room casually, relic from that one time 'you' picked up computer science 101 class for half semester...

8 years ago the majority of all processors still had only 2 cores, I doubt that many still stick around with those Dual-Core CPUs. So yeah 6 years sounds like a usual time for switiching hardware. And 6 years would still be 2 years before Windows 10 is EOL given that the last processor generations which haven't got TPM2.0 were released in like 2017.

11 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

8 years ago the majority of all processors still had only 2 cores

My current processor is an i7 4790. It's a 4 core (8 with hyperthreading) Gen 4 cpu that came out in Q2 2014 according to intel ark, that's just a bit over 7 years ago.

This cpu doesn't support TPM 2.0.

Unless they give us a way to disable that requirement it's gonna be

cant_run_windows_11_hero.jpg

44 minutes ago, perji said:

My current processor is an i7 4790. It's a 4 core (8 with hyperthreading) Gen 4 cpu that came out in Q2 2014 according to intel ark, that's just a bit over 7 years ago.

This cpu doesn't support TPM 2.0.

Unless they give us a way to disable that requirement it's gonna be

cant_run_windows_11_hero.jpg

Do you plan to use this CPU until 2025?

12 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Do you plan to use this CPU until 2025?

A difficult question to answer. Right now, I have to say yes. I've been unemployed for over half a year and can't afford to throw money on upgrading the PC when I need said money to live.

Realistically, even if I do get a job I'm not keen to get ripped off. Buying a new CPU means buying a new motherboard which means jumping on the overpriced DDR4 bandwagon. On top of that, there's the issue of paying three times its base value for some shitty video card because that's the only thing you can find. The video card market has been what is is for years and there's no reason to assume it'll change much over the next 4 years.

But to get back to this topic, CPU upgrade or not, Windows 11 is coming faster than you think. We're not looking all the way to 2025, we're just looking towards 2022.

So just have to wait for 2022 and Intel's new Adler Lake CPU with DDR5 support, which should make some things cheaper than they are right now. It is these new hardware releases over the next 4 years that will make the difference, at least for me.

11 minutes ago, perji said:

Windows 11 is coming faster than you think. We're not looking all the way to 2025, we're just looking towards 2022.

And? you just wont be able to upgrade. Will still use the Win10. Even after its discontinued end on 2025 you still be able to use it. it wont self-delete from your system. So you can use it all the way to 2040 if you want with the same i7 CPU. Absolutely irrelevant what the requirements are for Win11. I have an ancient laptop that still runs Win XP as i need this OS to be able to run very specific old programs that are not great on new computers even via compatibility mode. And you know what? that Win XP still works great and connects to internet and what not..

Edited by Skatyna
  • Like 1

By the time we reach 2025 there will be a lot of second hand hardware available which will run windows 11, so people with ancient PCs will likely be able to upgrade to 2020-2021 era hardware for not that much money, especially since DDR5 and the likes are also on the horizon. People buying new hardware in the near future will no longer have any use for their current motherboards, cpus and ram. The chip shortage also won't last forever, 4 years should be more than enough time for that to become a thing of the past.

Now what I'm more worried about is what Windows 11 will be using TPM for. For example, with the firmware based TPM, what happens if your motherboard dies and you need to replace it, or what if you simply upgrade to a new motherboard? Can you kiss your data and windows install goodbye because you no longer have your keys to the castle? If so, should people really want to depend on the firmware based TPM instead of a hardware module? With scalpers going after the latter many people will likely opt out of said hardware module, will they come to regret that choice? Microsoft hasn't really shared enough information to be able to base an informed decision on.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

TLDR:

I wouldn't be worried about Win 11 at all.

Things will be great, promised.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:15 AM, Ecrir said:

By the time we reach 2025 there will be a lot of second hand hardware available which will run windows 11, so people with ancient PCs will likely be able to upgrade to 2020-2021 era hardware for not that much money, especially since DDR5 and the likes are also on the horizon. People buying new hardware in the near future will no longer have any use for their current motherboards, cpus and ram. The chip shortage also won't last forever, 4 years should be more than enough time for that to become a thing of the past.

Now what I'm more worried about is what Windows 11 will be using TPM for. For example, with the firmware based TPM, what happens if your motherboard dies and you need to replace it, or what if you simply upgrade to a new motherboard? Can you kiss your data and windows install goodbye because you no longer have your keys to the castle? If so, should people really want to depend on the firmware based TPM instead of a hardware module? With scalpers going after the latter many people will likely opt out of said hardware module, will they come to regret that choice? Microsoft hasn't really shared enough information to be able to base an informed decision on.

With the increase of hardware based exploits, the main drive of Windows 11 is significant security improvements, and tpm integrated chipsets will help with that. 

The biggest drive of Windows 11 is for hybrid work and security, so that's where the big features come from. 

There's always scalpers hoping to make a quick buck but with Windows 10 lasting until 2025, I don't think there's an overwhelming need to update ASAP. I'm sure any 1st gen amd or 7th gen or lower Intel chip will likely be gone by then.

Disclosure: I work at Microsoft 

Edited by Archaed
  • Like 1

This seems totally unlikely to have any massive security issues /s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Sure, now it will install, but how long until something breaks and windows stops working well? Are you just inviting a massive headache down the line from who knows how many different issues (BSOD, etc) this might cause? That article even mentions near the end that while it does work with the leaked build, they have no idea if it will work with the final version. So I really wouldn't do stuff like that unless you're alright with a full format and then a reinstall of windows 10 if everything starts breaking (aka, make some backups before trying anything like this).

People will always find a way to hack around something, but just because you can do something doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do it. ;)

it's no different from running any windows os pre-11.. it's no different from running win11 w/o tpm2..

it's about using old hardware after all..

--edit

I'm not that hyped for 11 anyway, whoever wants... can run it on VM to see what's to miss next few years.. every next release skipping one is usable.. lets wait for 12😄

Edited by Finnn