Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Starting trades

This is an attempt to get new players into the game a little bit more, and avoid the newbies quitting because they feel that they are bad at everything, and everything takes too long.

1. New players get to choose a trade from a list.
  2. Players are awarded 20 points in a couple of skills appropriate to that trade.
  3. Players are given decent quality starter tools appropriate to that trade.

For example:

Woodsman - woodcutting, foraging - hatchet, sickle

Hunter - tracking, archery - bow and arrows

Smith - blacksmithing - hammer, pelt, whetstone

Carpenter - carpentry, fine carpentry - mallet, file, carving knife, pelt

Farmer - farming, gardening - rake, sickle, scythe

Many other crafting specialities could easily be added to the list.

-1, I think this would be unfair to alot of people honestly. If they don't want to work for it then this was not a game for them.

• Like 3

Just now, Dranana1 said:

-1, I think this would be unfair to alot of people honestly. If they don't want to work for it then this was not a game for them.

The problem is that they see what the game is like for new players with crappy skills and crappy tools, and they have no way of knowing what it's like to have more skills and better tools. If we give them just one or two of those, they can see the difference. They can know that things will get better.  They might stay and provide more revenue for the developers.

I've played MMO games or even came back to old MMO games where they introduced something like this idea.  Where the new user gets skills, exp and items really fast for the first 10 or 20 levels and it just takes all of the fun out of it. Easy mode.  Plus it also then creates a big disconnect when after getting all of that easy items and skills, you then get hit with really slow leveling up.  Which makes it feel very jarring.

It also generates an attitude of wanting more or wanting more things for free or even more of an easy mode.  I've seen it myself.  Wurm is a very slow and grind filled game.  The wurm trailer tried to hide that fact for promotion purposes of course and they did a really good job getting new users in to try the game but then when those users saw the long wait timers and how slow paced wurm was and such....they left.  If you are not up front with the new users then they will expect one thing and then feel ripped off if there is no follow through. 

You could always just increase the speed that skills can be leveled up for the first 20 levels in all skills for example but that might piss users off.  Then again any change will piss users off so....

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 1

Several players I know didn't quit because of the grind they quit because of extreme lag and other bug issues that never get fixed. They saw no point in putting money into a game they couldn't even play half the time.

9 minutes ago, Zexos said:

I've played MMO games or even came back to old MMO games where they introduced something like this idea.  Where the new user gets skills, exp and items really fast for the first 10 or 20 levels....

But that isn't really anything like this idea. Players would see the normal rate of skill gain and they would be able to see how their chosen skills and tools compare with the starting levels. It's giving them more information about the game, and how it would look if they put some time in, without giving them lots of freebies or accelerated gains.

Perhaps give the player the option to choose a trade route or start from the normal route. 

Uh no, big -1 on this. Like Dranana says above, if they don't want to work then they won't stick around even if you give them some nice tools. I used to give tools and mats and help to newbs all the time since my deed was right near Summerholt, most of them still have those tools on their long-dormant toons. I found that 85% of them stopped playing after a bit and never came back, and it wasn't for lack of help and decent, mid-level gear (like 60-70ql). It was because this game is not for the masses, never will be. I think more people quit because of connectivity issues like Katrat mentioned above, or, like I've heard countless times, because the game doesn't tell them what to do next. Personally, that's one of the main reasons I love this game, I'm not being shepherded down some pre-ordained path. Hell, I don't even do missions or journals or anything like that. Leave me in the sandbox to do what I want and I'm happy, and I'd say that's the attitude of the typical Wurmer. Stop worrying about trying to get Fortnight or CoD/GTA players in here, and focus on the niche that you excel in. A slow game that gets easier as you gain skill and decent tools, where you can do what you want, go where you want, and build what you want.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

I used to give tools and mats and help to newbs all the time since my deed was right near Summerholt, most of them still have those tools on their long-dormant toons. I found that 85% of them stopped playing after a bit and never came back [...]  

What percentage of people you didn't give tools too quit the game, and what were their reasons? That's not really enough to be considered an argument. Perhaps half of one. But for all we know, you were contributing to the problem, by providing exactly the sort of starting environment that Zexos was talking about. You haven't provided enough information, almost certainly because you don't have it. I don't think any of use really do. We're just going on our impressions and experiences. I personally think that some people are quitting — who wouldn't otherwise, and who might be a good fit for the game — because the initial task timers and failure rates are so off-putting. Things get better, yes, but not for people who don't see that.

I'm not proposing to give people lots of free stuff. I'm proposing that they be given a choice of background and a couple of examples of the difference that 20 skill points and 20 quality points can make. In other words, a little bit more information about what the game will actually be like later on. That should help them make an informed decision about whether the game is right for them. 

Edited by Sheffie

The skill gimme would be offset by the "decent" tool ql.

I have to say the current mechanic generally suits the overall pace of the game quite well.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sheffie said:

What percentage of people you didn't give tools too quit the game, and what were their reasons?

What? I gave help to anyone who I came across and communicated with in local. I built an off-deed Inn with a chest of basic tools, a bsb with mats, beds, etc. for them to use. You can speculate all you want on why people quit the game, but I am still opposed to your idea of making it easier by introducing classes or trades or whatever. Part of what got me hooked immediately was that it was so hard, and it feels like a natural progression from dying every few minutes (I had a dozen corpses scattered around Summerholt the first week or two) and not being able to feed yourself, to finally getting enough skill to actually play the game. Don't take that away from newbs.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

Uh no, big -1 on this. Like Dranana says above, if they don't want to work then they won't stick around even if you give them some nice tools. I used to give tools and mats and help to newbs all the time since my deed was right near Summerholt, most of them still have those tools on their long-dormant toons. I found that 85% of them stopped playing after a bit and never came back, and it wasn't for lack of help and decent, mid-level gear (like 60-70ql). It was because this game is not for the masses, never will be. I think more people quit because of connectivity issues like Katrat mentioned above, or, like I've heard countless times, because the game doesn't tell them what to do next. Personally, that's one of the main reasons I love this game, I'm not being shepherded down some pre-ordained path. Hell, I don't even do missions or journals or anything like that. Leave me in the sandbox to do what I want and I'm happy, and I'd say that's the attitude of the typical Wurmer. Stop worrying about trying to get Fortnight or CoD/GTA players in here, and focus on the niche that you excel in. A slow game that gets easier as you gain skill and decent tools, where you can do what you want, go where you want, and build what you want.

I'd say that 9 out of 10 people that I've helped by giving them better tools, armour, weapons, healing mats, animals, vehicles and even food have quit.  I can assure it wasn't for lack of good gear.

An added note: I'm wondering how many players have had all their gear imped to 70ql at an impalong and still quit?

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 4