Sign in to follow this  
Drayka

Make starving, hungry animals unhitch & unhitchable

Just wondering how the playerbase would feel about this being a thing, and what bugs might arise from it to explain why it isn't already a thing, so they could be pre-emptively addressed.

Also, it isn't yet possible to throw grain through a locked gate to horses trapped on packed tiles - I've tried, when I didn't have permission to get into breeding pens to replant grass.

• Like 2

The only unpleasant situation I can see is having a couple well equipped animals go hungry while you are offline then getting unhitched and wandering off.

Maybe they should remain hitched but not count towards the "horsepower".

I'm talking about animals about to drop dead from starvation. Your valuable equipment would be on their dead corpse if you logged back in without feeding them in that situation.

• Like 1

-1 what does it add to the game. Just more inconvenience

"oh ###### i had an emergency and had to deal with real life"....

*comes back the next day*

"oh thats wonderful not only did my family member die but i lost my horses how am i getting home *f* this game"

Er, horses would be dead anyway? From starvation?

I'm only asking that they be given the equivalent of Last Gasp, to save themselves from death.

What does it add to the game that you come back to find your horse has dropped dead from starving to death in the traces, because you weren't there to hand-feed it?

Edited by Drayka

Love the idea for keeping the horses alive as opposed to dying to starvation as mentioned, but I will say the one flaw I can think of and it is a small case.

When a player uses horses that aren't branded, so they can't be tracked and stores valuable equipment on those horses. Granted the horses would die and the items would be lootable, but in the small chance that players are kind and don't loot it or the player logs in not too much later they could get the items back at least. 

horses normally have saddles.. and wont move.. they'll die anyway

--edit

wasn't this same thing suggested a month or 3 ago?

Edited by Finnn

1 hour ago, Zuelatak said:

Love the idea for keeping the horses alive as opposed to dying to starvation as mentioned, but I will say the one flaw I can think of and it is a small case.

When a player uses horses that aren't branded, so they can't be tracked and stores valuable equipment on those horses. Granted the horses would die and the items would be lootable, but in the small chance that players are kind and don't loot it or the player logs in not too much later they could get the items back at least. 

Could have previously hitched horses return to cart-tile after feeding, as per AH update mechanics for saddled horses. (They remember they are 'hitched', but the cart does not agree, UNLESS their traits dictate an overruling behaviour.)

35 minutes ago, Finnn said:

horses normally have saddles.. and wont move.. they'll die anyway

--edit

wasn't this same thing suggested a month or 3 ago?

As per AH update as I understand it, saddled horses should move to feed but return to where they were, unless they have a trait that makes them lose their survival instinct.

If this was previously suggested, please add cross-ref link.

Edited by Drayka