Sign in to follow this  
Seriphina

The Evolution of Lorewood *updated 6/24/2021*

I've been playing Wurm for quite some time now, and over the years I've primarily lived in one spot. Though the location has stayed the same (H23 Xanadu near Summerholt), the deed has changed repeatedly. It went from my beginner hovel, to a series of buildings, to a major orchard. There was a brief time when the deed was massive and had a large castle at the center. Now, it's a village. As new features are introduced and needs change, parts of the deed still change. Buildings are torn down for one reason or another, or updated as new options become available. I invite you all on this screenshot journey as I update the changes happening at Lorewood and talk about the reasons and inspriation behind some of the changes. Through it all I'll give short tours and backstories on various parts of the deed, as well as the sister deeds that are under construction.

Welcome to Lorewood.

EdZYgq0.jpeg

North Gate Main Entrance

Edited by Seriphina
Title Update
  • Like 7

Today's project has been creating a temple/church dedicated to Libila. I managed to finish my archaeology statue today and was eager to get things in place. I still need to fine-tune the interior, but here are some pictures of the project thus far.

I'm hoping to get my hands on some thornwood shafts or branches to make wooden benches in that deep dark green color that goes so well with the purple of HOTS. Also I plan on adding a few other decorations like a bookcase, a coffin, and of course more skulls.

VTzMSbv.jpeg

Exterior: Temple of the Summoned

NtgXp9y.jpeg

Temple of the Summoned Entrance

Xu9HOC2.jpeg

Temple of the Summoned Entrance

xlWgfW6.jpeg

C4NuaQ6.jpeg

Mtmbzb0.jpeg

4XysFIv.jpeg

Rear view/Bridge entrance

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 7

Today is a day for deed maintenance. So much of the past few days were lost to distractions and construction that some of the regular work has fallen to the wayside.

Then there's the garlic field. This one in particular. Story time: I decided it was time to put some effort into my farming skill. After a bit of reading, I determined garlic would be my best option. There are 3 open areas on deed I use for farming extra crops, and one sits at the newly adjusted deed border with no fence. I recently reduced the size of my deed. It took me a long time to finally give in and do it because I'd have to relocate two pretty major components; the wine cellar and the deed token. A lot of my hesitation was the hopefulness that we'd eventually get the option to relocate the token. No such luck. So finally, I surrendered, disbanded, and reestablished my deed. With relocation of the wine cellar, there was an area that needed to be surface mined for me to finish the wall that goes around the exterior and still have it look good. So, this seemed as good of a time as any to go ahead and get that surface mining done before I start planting crops. So my surface mining adventure began.

As I neared the home stretch, I got a warning that the rock I was mining sounded strangely hollow. Great, so there's some random unknown cave tunnel just in my perimeter. I opened 8 different tiles to try to get into that cave, but was blocked again and again, particularly by reinforced cave walls. Being off deed I couldn't remove them. Finally I was able to find a point of entry and went inside. Knowing my Magranon priest, Harruq, would make quick work of the tunnels inside, I explored a bit. All in all there were about 45 tiles that would need to be strongwalled after I found a few other collapsed tiles that lead to branches of this tunnel system. While Harruq did his job, I noticed an iron vein. Recalling that grape season was coming soon and I'd need iron for ribbons to make wine barrels, I decided to take advantage of this iron vein and mine it out. That was my undoing. After several crates of ore, I called in reinforcements. Legios did some prospecting for me and determined there was a good bit of ore in there. A few weeks of mining remained here, indicating that there was something between 5,000 and 10,000 ore remaining. Figuring it would be closer to the bottom end of that range, I trudged on. Oh boy was I wrong.

Three days later, and several wagons of crates filled with iron ore taken to my refinery for smelting, I finally received the notification from Legios that the ore would run out soon. When it was all over, I had well over 10,000 iron lumps to help with my wine barrel production. I may never need to mine ore for ribbons again. The tunnel system was fully collapsed by Harruq, and in the end he and Legios finished the surface mining. The tall wall at the deed's edge was finished and the garlic finally got planted. Then it was time to harvest the grapes.

IjFj2Q7.jpeg

Near the finished wall, here is Lorewood's East Gate. The guards were relocated here when the village was reduced, and they spend a lot of time wandering the orchards and stealing my crops.

i3bMqZG.jpeg

While pruning my orchard I discovered my sweet champion wildcat had a baby. It's so tiny compared to it's mother! You can see her there between mom's legs.

GffedTY.jpeg

Currently there are a number of trees and bushes in season, as it always is when we get to autumn. Grapes, lemons, apples, and chestnuts are all harvestable right now. I've finished all but the chestnuts at this point. Looking forward to more of the nuts coming into season in the orchard. As I wander around and maintain my plants I notice I should consider adding a few lights to spruce up the area for night work. Working during the day is extra calming when the sound is up and the birds are singing. Unless The other village members are doing smithing or brick cutting and noisily interrupting my peaceful day.

4niuYpG.jpeg

xeb136g.jpeg

Here are my large planters where I cultivate mushrooms. It's also where I have my storage for all of my gardening and farming tools, including sprouts and grasses. The kitchen's dining room is surrounded with a covered porch where the herbs are grown for the various dishes, though pizza is usually on the menu.

The building just ahead there with the green milk cart is the dairy barn, where the cows are waiting to be milked.

MWrXn5j.jpeg

i8ZM4TG.jpeg

Finally, I've been doing some updates for the contest. This is the hay barn I've added to my stables area. The HOTA keeps my branding irons hot without being bothered by lighting a forge. Very helpful! And I'm also going to do some work on farming fields to get them photo ready and updated to be more cozy. I'll post that progress here as I complete projects. Don't worry, the final pictures will be taken in the daylight hours.

rYfQCyq.jpeg

tZ74m0D.jpeg

k8SrFBT.jpeg

cyL8vAP.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Cat 1

New day, new project in Wurm Online. I'm adding a few signs and lights around deed today, starting at the bookbinder. It's tucked away in a small corner of Lorewood's Guild District. I'll be working in there later to make books for the Temple of the Summoned. For now, looking for a specific book of recipes is an extra challenge when the merchant can't remember where he put it.

CuJ2ZGr.jpeg

WUJlRO9.jpeg

foBa7I1.jpeg

trzszwK.jpeg

In other news, there was a lovely eclipse today.

0nkeszX.jpeg

You see the most lovely things when you stop to look around. Next was making string from the overabundance of cotton I've got in bins. It will take ages to get it all done, but I'm working my way through it a little at a time.

oX8faYw.jpeg

Please don't judge the mess that is my tailoring storage! I'm working on it!

gPXFKHg.jpeg

As evening rolled around I went indoors to make some pizzas. Though not particular about affinity, this deed has some very hungry workers so I try to make them as big as I can!  Today's were over 23kg.

WEMDHuA.jpeg

jtFeb5g.jpeg

The rest of my time was spent tending the fields, caring for my flock, milking the cows, and maintaining my orchard.

DGzsYf6.jpeg

otnT6j2.jpeg

• Like 5

Today was uneventful as I didn't have a lot of time in the lands of Wurm. I do have some exciting new piglets that have the potential to become prize winning entries in the next village fair. The way they've been breeding I may need to consider expanding the pig pen! Hopefully that's a good sign for when I take them to market.

KVpf4v1.jpeg

Legios is a bit backlogged on his brick making duties. He swears it will get done. His slow pace is holding up my plans for a market north of Lorewood. I'm eager to get started, but there is still a lot of terraforming and work to be  done.

twlJJSv.jpeg

Across this bridge is the land that we've claimed for Dragonwyck Market. It will have all manner of livestock as well as crafted goods and interesting items. Applications have already been submitted by several merchants who are eager to get in on this exciting new project.

O3obhXO.jpeg

The bridge and river we've created here makes a lovely spot for fishing or just a relaxing boat ride.

H6RVv9c.jpeg

zuDJd1n.jpeg

The small river is beautiful all year, but autumn is particularly magical.

CwiZxkI.jpeg

• Like 4

Today I remembered that I'd wanted to gather a new set of reports for my almanac, and with lingonberry in season, it was the perfect opportunity to run around and grab reports. With my forestry so high, I am able to sell completed almanacs for a little extra money to put toward my upkeep each month, so I get extra reports each season. This is particularly helpful for people who want a completed almanac but can't find lingonberry, or who don't have high forestry but want more accurate times for harvest. So, today I'm gathering reports on Lingonberry, Raspberry, Hazelnuts, and Walnuts. I had been distracted recently and missed getting reports, so I'll have to wait until next season rolls around for each of those. I had already harvested everything on my own deed, so today became an exploration adventure.  I had good luck finding hazelnuts and raspberries on some old fallen deeds.

DQm7WMu.jpeg

9CsNG2c.jpeg

Autumn is one of my favorite seasons (Spring too!) because the flowers stand out so much more against the dry grass. If you get far enough off the beaten path, you may even find some white dotted flowers like I did today, though I forgot to grab a screenshot in my excitement. While I was out in the wilds I did a bit of archaeology as well and happened on an old deed I had already in my journal and managed to complete the report. All told I found over 400 fragments. Once back home I eagerly identified them at the Historical Preservation Society, a building dedicated to the recovery and identification of artifacts and relics of long lost villages.

5HCbe1X.jpeg

HR5lLI6.jpeg

After my fragments were identified, I popped into my house and put away the reports I'd written today. I've learned that paper won't decay when stored in books, though the books do take damage over time and will need improvement and repairing. This allows me to keep reports, recipes, and letters from friends safely stored on my bookshelves without having to worry they'll one day disappear. Since I plan to someday make a village for new players near to my own, I have been collecting the recipes from trolls, goblins, and ogres to share with them as well.

HH0WiZg.jpeg

Then it was time for bed. Another long day full of accomplishment.

92NUcpf.jpeg

• Like 5

This is absolutely stunning and inspiring to boot!

Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2