Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Let's try to improve unique creature battles

So we just need to go to 40 to make a boot? 0.07 something like that all Im. Saying is it  needs looked at by someone who can say "Hey " this needs work. There's been tons of ppl have given maybe how to why is it still the same 12years later. 

• Like 1

Like stated above. They are avail for anyone to try and find. -1

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tigerclaw said:

So we just need to go to 40 to make a boot? 0.07 something like that all Im.

Lmfao, that was pretty funny. I am glad I don't care about the hide and scale. It would drive me nuts lol

I feel like responses have been divided into those who say, yes, this is a problem, what can we do?

And those who are saying, yes, people are robbing banks at gunpoint, but there's nothing to stop you from doing that yourself and giving the money to the poor.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

people are robbing banks at gunpoint, but there's nothing to stop you from doing that yourself and giving the money to the poor.

Correction

Yes, people are putting in the time and effort to acquire valuable resources to better themselves. But there's nothing to stop you from acquiring them yourself and sharing them with everyone!

Stop trying to demonize people for just playing the game lmfao, it's really quite sad.

Everyone is on an equal playing field. While information is definitely valuable and provides an advantage, there's nothing stopping players from asking around (as i've seen plenty do the last few months), taking the time to experiment and learn details themselves, or just searching blindly. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I feel like responses have been divided into those who say, yes, this is a problem, what can we do?

And those who are saying, yes, people are robbing banks at gunpoint, but there's nothing to stop you from doing that yourself and giving the money to the poor.

I used to feel angry about the "bank"robbers too haha. I like to find them cause its fun and exciting. There was a time awhile back where the same group got every unique on every server and that was annoying. I was an angry soul. Let me put it a better way, You can find them if you go out and look; however, it is hard to find them before the well organized group gets their little paws on them. It is possible though. 

• Like 2

I don't care that much about the loot let's take that out of it and think about what's going on. You put something in a cave and get others to kill it fuk the loot part of it for now. you  think thats fun standing around doing what ? I just think it's sad and could be a lot more fun.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tigerclaw said:

I just think it's sad and could be a lot more fun.

I agree, it is much more fun fighting it out in the wild. for sure!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tigerclaw said:

I just think it's sad and could be a lot more fun.

I mean, that's just wurm combat lol.

I've seen quite a few slays be done just a few hours after the unique was found, and they really just boil down to the same thing, minus the cave. Everyone groups up outside of aggro range, buffs, then charges at the thing and stands swinging until it dies. 

There's not really anything else that can realistically be done considering the capabilities of the wurm dev team.

Nothing wrong with taking ownership of "public resource". Everything in Wurm is a public resource, until a deed is popped on it. But nobody cares if that resource is iron vein, because they're everywhere. Make dragons non-unique, and nobody cares either. Is that what we want?

I've been hunting for scale for 5 years, through slayings that have been public (and one private, for whatever reason I got invited) and I still don't have my armor set. But I would not want it to be any easier to obtain. It's as end game content as it can be in Wurm, why would you want to walk in scale set just after 6 months of playing? What will be there for you to look forward to?

Those that want private slayings to be stopped because they want more scale and hide - would you still care if you already had a scale set on yourself and every alt? Would you still care if scale was as easy to get as goblin skulls?

Those that want private slayings to be stopped because they want more public events - would you still care if that'd be happening every weekend, on fixed schedule, with no other reward than "social interaction opportunity"?

Too long, didn't read past this in the OP

7 hours ago, Sheffie said:

The problem

We have a situation where hunting groups are forming with the purpose of controlling the distribution of loot from slaying unique creatures.

Planting a deed to trap a unique creature is a form of privatization of the commons; that is to say, something (e.g. a dragon) which was a public resource beforehand becomes private property afterwards.

The fact that this happens routinely, and that there may even be competition to do so, may be taken as confirmation that the cost of founding a deed purely to trap a unique is far outweighed by the benefits of doing so.

In other words, there is a consensus that there is profit to be made in taking something that was public and making it private.

Opinion

I believe that the privatization of public resources is a problem for the community. I believe it's elitist and divisive. I believe it brings a sour note to events that could and should be much more inviting to all. I believe that the player community is poorer when these creatures are taken into private ownership.

@SheffieYou just stated that you believe that lawful-ownership is THE problem. You just successfully argued that PvE servers are intrinsically toxic to the community. Bravo! Ready to come play the game as Rolf intended it to be played yet?

Solution: Join a PvP server. The solution to your problem is already coded in: It's called a portal; either an Epic Portal, or a PvP Portal, depending on whether you are in SFI, or NFI.

Happy Wurming!

• Like 1

I think the events should be better for sure. come up with something that makes it fun for everyone like the rift.some ppl have said making it where you have to work up your skills to build something to have it where you can spawn unique in the game. make it where you do need 20 ppl like your alliance can build this thing as a team and have it spawn in when you want. ..  like everyone has there way they thing the game should be i get that the way the uniques or now "I" dont like it and wish they would put some work in to it and have a think about it.

10 hours ago, Tigerclaw said:

So we just need to go to 40 to make a boot?

Or we can buy the mats, just like we would in any other situation where we want to make something, but don't have the time or inclination to do the work of producing the mats ourselves. 

For example, if I want a big castle, but I don't feel like making bricks, I have to buy them.  And I'd be laughed out of town if I were to instead complain on the forums about how unfair and anti-community it is that the only players get to have bricks are the ones who make bricks.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Minnie said:

Or we can buy the mats, just like we would in any other situation where we want to make something, but don't have the time or inclination to do the work of producing the mats ourselves. 

For example, if I want a big castle, but I don't feel like making bricks, I have to buy them.  And I'd be laughed out of town if I were to instead complain on the forums about how unfair and anti-community it is that the only players get to have bricks are the ones who make bricks.

Isn't this precisely the premise of the 'derestrict priests' debate?

11 hours ago, Tigerclaw said:

So we just need to go to 40 to make a boot? 0.07 something like that all Im. Saying is it  needs looked at by someone who can say "Hey " this needs work. There's been tons of ppl have given maybe how to why is it still the same 12years later. 

yup..

• Like 2

It’s my position that the rewards for trapping a unique far exceed the costs of doing so. 

That is demonstrated firstly by the competitiveness of groups seeking to do so, and secondly in the vehemence with which they defend the status quo. 

I tried to make that clear in the first post. 

7 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

It’s my position that the rewards for trapping a unique far exceed the costs of doing so. 

That is demonstrated firstly by the competitiveness of groups seeking to do so, and secondly in the vehemence with which they defend the status quo. 

I tried to make that clear in the first post. 

Theres no competitiveness. Anyone can go out, hunt a unique, and trap it for their own private/public slaying.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gawain said:

Theres no competitiveness. Anyone can go out, hunt a unique, and trap it for their own private/public slaying.

True, I agree, judging by the same names doing it over and over.. it totally looks "normal and fine", like stated in many threads about uniques.. many think thing's broken how it is.. and needs improvement so more can enjoy the content or have different source to achieve forming an armor in less than 20 years IRL or be forced to pay money to somebody with a cooking clock and a pocket calendar.

18 hours ago, Tor said:

My suggestion: increase unique difficulty dramatically and make it unable to be penned, make it roam around and destroy villages, kill on sight. Private killings are fair game as long there's a challenge provided, the loot can be whatever idc. Maybe make the unique walk or fly away if it's not slain in like day or two after spawning. Or just make them pvp server only,

Uniques on Epic pretty much never get killed without outside help from the Freedom cluster....

Might want to check before you suggest stuff for Epic, try living there a couple of months. Only recently we managed to down some uniques because 14 players from freedom (thank you guys, you're awesome) helped us to do so. Uniques that were alive for years. That says everything. In other words it's not fun having a forest giant bashing your deed every week and having to repair it because the rest of the 4 players there can't kill it. Also penning it was bugged every time using every method possible. 

12 hours ago, Shmeric said:

Nothing wrong with taking ownership of "public resource".

Actually there's plenty wrong with that. There's also been a lot of cases in wurm history where gm's had to intervene because of that. 

If you make a deed over someone's parked wagon/cart and surround it with walls that player will ask for gms to recover his cart, potentially also disbanding your deed in the process. If you deed a public mine, gms might get involved, because the definition of public means no one should be a private owner. Another thing you can't deed over : can't deed over a highway and wall it off because it's a public resource, everyone should be able to use it. Pretty much every civilized country in the world has laws that prevent private entities taking ownership from public space. Doesn't change the fact private persons keep trying, but every time the people fight back.

I'm just bitterly amused that 10 years later, thread #661 about uniques keeps popping on the forums and we're pretty much in the same spot after such a long time. The devs do need to change something, there's clearly player desire to do so, otherwise we wouldn't have 660 other threads asking for it. 

The two sides of the discussion often times tend to eventually  boil down into "But you're F**** lazy go out and hunt uniques and keep the system (greedy) as is!" and the other side saying "But we want end game content to be accessible to all". 

There's a lot of issues about dragons that are also inherent in wurm coding. Such as people being in local and getting scales for free. As @Oblivionnreaver pointed out, you can't really know who is stealthed or not. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 2

A simple solution is making spawns more regular and random. Penning a dragon should have no effect on subsequent spawns. Right now some uniques are indefinitely sidelined in pens.  This does remove a "public resource" (In the form of the opportunity to find them).

If you choose to hunt uniques, and do find them, you deserve the reward. Plain and simple. The current system just needs to be modified a bit to allow for greater opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reverent said:

A simple solution is making spawns more regular and random. Penning a dragon should have no effect on subsequent spawns. Right now some uniques are indefinitely sidelined in pens.  This does remove a "public resource" (In the form of the opportunity to find them).

If you choose to hunt uniques, and do find them, you deserve the reward. Plain and simple. The current system just needs to be modified a bit to allow for greater opportunity.

yes, firefighter's solution - add more fuel, the fire will take care of the rest..

• Like 1

These "discussions" are so predictible and boring.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

what's your point, it's pointless to try to improve something that cant be or wont be?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elentari said:

Uniques on Epic pretty much never get killed without outside help from the Freedom cluster....

Might want to check before you suggest stuff for Epic, try living there a couple of months. Only recently we managed to down some uniques because 14 players from freedom (thank you guys, you're awesome) helped us to do so. Uniques that were alive for years. That says everything. In other words it's not fun having a forest giant bashing your deed every week and having to repair it because the rest of the 4 players there can't kill it. Also penning it was bugged every time using every method possible. 

Like i said, uniques are just a loot chest and no one wants any loot on epic as everyone consider it as a dead server. But it's nice you have gotten a help at least, not everyone is loot drivern

6 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

agree - its like i read the exact same discuission a few times now.

• Like 1