Sign in to follow this  
AAetius

Guard Towers and Tower Guards

This would be a big update to tower guards that would make them more interesting, if not more realistic in line with more human behavior.

Currently you can arm tower guards, but you have to painstakingly run down each guard and try to arm them before they run away!

I suggest multiple updates.

First of all, make Guard Towers something that can be opened by same kingdom players.   You could then deposit medium shields, (JK) longswords, (MR) Axes, and (HOTS) Mauls.  Tower guards would then fall back to the guard tower to grab desirable equipment, before returning to their normal duties.  

Second of all, allow tower guards pick up desirable weapons/shields off the ground or from fallen Tower Guards.

Per Wurmpedia, Each kingdom's tower guards has skills in various weapons

• Like 3

+1 But I would say equipment dropped by killed guards defaults back into the tower inventory. It only drops to the ground when the tower is destroyed.

Otherwise, BRILLIANT! Love it!

6 hours ago, AAetius said:

Guard Towers something that can be opened by same kingdom players

Could you elaborate here a bit? We made a HOTS guard tower. Are you suggesting that it should no longer be possible?

5 hours ago, Votip said:

But why? Can you provide reasoning that furthers the discussion?

I think this is a great idea, but I would be concerned with two things.

1) The AI needed to do the picking up might be a bit much and could bring with it a lot of lag?

2) I think with Drogos' concern and in addition the ability for people to manage your tower without permission would suck

With this in mind my idea would be:

Whoever builds it has ownership and can manage the perms just like a hitching post. They can choose who can use it and they can transfer ownership. You put equipment directly into the tower that acts as a container and when a guard spawns it automatically equips them with gear in the tower. When they die I think it should be the player's responsibility to restock the tower and pickup any equipment on the ground. 

28 minutes ago, Zuelatak said:

I think this is a great idea, but I would be concerned with two things.

1) The AI needed to do the picking up might be a bit much and could bring with it a lot of lag?

2) I think with Drogos' concern and in addition the ability for people to manage your tower without permission would suck

1) This is why I say the tower should 'own' the equipment. It would show up as equipped on a guard, but in the code it would still be in the tower itself. Just an echo/pointer on the guard feeding information to the tower. Meaning you can't take it off the guard; it's game-assigned as the tower-guards spawn.

2) The rules for Freedom Towers can be tailored for PvE conditions. The OP was clearly PvP mechanics biased, in its primary consideration.

1 hour ago, Drayka said:

The OP was clearly PvP mechanics biased

Ah, yeah, that would make sense. I wonder if it was all PvP stuff then, or how this would affect PvE.

17 hours ago, Drogos said:

Could you elaborate here a bit? We made a HOTS guard tower. Are you suggesting that it should no longer be possible?

I'm saying that you should be able to open your kingdom's guard towers and add weapons/shields.