Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 17/JUN/2021

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

What I couldn't see in your post is what drags the wagon, is it bisons or normal/hell horses? traits? if it's horses - ql/enchants

They Are old Hell horses no Enchants were used for the purpose of testing but the Traits are ,(It has lightning movement, It has very strong leg muscles, It has fleeter movement than normal , ). Those were traits needed for Cart to gain speed of carts/wagons before the animal update Came out that's why I. said ill need retesting with New Draft horses and will be with bisons / hell horses due to that why have traits up all the time . those traits are not for comparing but that's what I have on hand right now those traits aren't draft so they have 0 impact on the load , the goal from the test was to see if Ql helps or not Probably  With draft traits u will see a huge gap in speeds Between Load And QL. 

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

and it's tragic to have this speed for ql90 vehicle, isn't ql 90 'endgame'?..

Traits are key here my Hh's docent have any draft traits Which help in vehicle speeds and Load.

I know a friend got his cart to 35 km/h with the new traits .

Patience is the key here :D 

• Like 2

-

Edited by Yserin
no longer playing, Per the mismanagment of AH update
  • Like 1

It's too long, I cant, what does it say, somebody give us the TL;DR in few sentences

--edit

I want to.. but it seems like a wild rant.. I like the long posts lighting fire at dumb rng mechanics.. because they are needed to get to a better spot.. the game needs a serious amount of that to get past the wogic wall and make it easier to play, understand and explain to other people or better yet NOT HAVE TO.

I just cant force myself to read after starting to read 2paragraphs long fake logs to see some point proven.. we're not that stupid.. get to the point.. our time matters.. can't expect us to read a wild rant of 2 pages to get the 5 sentences you want to say.

Edited by Finnn

thanks for your interest.

Edited by Yserin

I doubt the priest to breeder comparison is overly convincing, and I fear many have not even bothered to read it. I agree to your conclusion though. The changes indeed are a big nerf, they run against all usual Wurm mechanics and philosophy.

It is a shame and a tragedy that devs worked hard to make the game more attractive by a large number of smaller of bigger QoL changes, and now trample it down by practically destroying animal husbandry,  or at least all AH fun for casual breeders, who have no chance to get acceptable results unless killing scores of baby animals. This is even true if any time in the future a stable method of breeding traits in reproducible and sensible trait sets will be restored.

And in addition hurting the game where QoL is most vulnerable, by nerfing movement speed. Years of progress of game improvement destroyed or at least heavily set back.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

It's too long, I cant, what does it say, somebody give us the TL;DR in few sentences

TLDR  - Too high RNG for breeding, OP does not like how bisons have speed traits (which are useless), and we have a convoluted breeding system that pads the game with too much randomness. 

• Like 3

• At 20 AH all bred animals show in the inspect window as being wild creatures.
  • Breeding timers still completely and utterly broken.
  • Hungry status is always not hungry, no matter the condition of animal.
  • I am now up to 7 horses that have either been born with no names or have lost their names when aging up, and this is after culling a couple that were born with no names, no traits and no parents.
  • Combat window UI focus still broken.
  • Wild parents do not show up in inspect window.
  • Untraited bison and untraited horses have exact same pulling power hitched. Bison have no bonus?
  • "Mules are also as good as draft creatures as horses". - Incorrect, untraited mules are substantially faster than both horses and bison hitched (A pair of mules was around 3kph faster when hitched to a large cart, and in testing performed better than horses with the 2 twenty point draught traits, as they did not vary in speed with traits turning on and off).
  • Easy on gear continues to be an utterly useless trait having zero effect on anything.

The TLDR of the post by Yserin up above, and pretty much I think how almost everyone feels, is that this whole update is a god awful mess, and people are so frustrated with it they are struggling to explain how they feel without being vitriolic. I started and stopped this post multiple times as it just started to get that way, and I was trying to make it constructive.

For the sake of making different appearing horses (both new appearances of which are exceedingly ugly is the general opinion I have seen expressed) you have completely reworked a system that had some flaws that could have been addressed mostly by doing what was done this patch to decrease negative traits.

The fact that bonus abilities for higher AH simply don't work at the moment is an added insult.

With this round of horse breeding now coming out on non PvP, I see the negatives are gone, but still when breeding a horse with 3 speed traits to one with 4 speed traits, I more often than not drop to either 2 speed traits or 2 + the mostly useless water trait, making them slower, and a bunch of traits that nobody wants. Horse coat colours are still seemingly random.

Without having been mentioned anywhere, it also seems that speed and draught traits have been made mutually exclusive. Nothing born with a speed pool has ANY draught traits and vice versa. Now that the also unmentioned negative effects of speed traits on hitched speeds has been removed, I'd literally prefer to be able to breed for the three working speed traits and a couple of draught again... but even at 100 AH, the fact that useful traits have gone from effectively costing 10 AH each up to 15 or 20 in most cases, would make this impossible even if I could.

The idea of breeding to a dominant pool and just randoming the rest has got to be about the worst of it, there is no longer any skill involved in attempting to breed a custom line, just mash two dominant pools of the same type together and hope for the rng to do something good with the remainder, and 20 odd useless traits far outweighing useful ones. Frankly, it just plain sucks.

Things I believe need doing:

Get rid of output traits on animals to which they don't apply

Get rid of speed and draught traits on animals to which they don't apply.

Rebalance point cost back to where 10 points equals a useful trait.

Go back to both parents contributing to breeding outcomes - if both parents have a matching trait, it is greatly favored to pass on over introducing new ones.

If one parent has a trait and the other doesn't it 50/50's which one is passed on.

At very high AH, give an abililty to once a day remove an unwanted trait from 1 horse, thus removing the inherent penalty of simply getting traits you don't want as a result of your having high AH skill.

The higher AH having a reduced chance of negative was long suggested in forum threads, it's a pity it took this mess for it to be introduced, but that at least was a step in the right direction.

Trying to have patience with this, but the frustration level is so high that I have gone from enjoying the game, to having to stop and take breaks to unclench my jaw and stop grinding my teeth.

Edited by Delone
  • Like 7

yeah the complete inability to custom build the horse lines you want is what is angering me the most right now, there is absolutely no inheritance of traits just a dominant category and a random spattering on top

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Delone said:
  • I am now up to 7 horses that have either been born with no names or have lost their names when aging up, and this is after culling a couple that were born with no names, no traits and no parents.
  • Untraited bison and untraited horses have exact same pulling power hitched. Bison have no bonus?
  • "Mules are also as good as draft creatures as horses". - Incorrect, untraited mules are substantially faster than both horses and bison hitched (A pair of mules was around 3kph faster when hitched to a large cart, and in testing performed better than horses with the 2 twenty point draught traits, as they did not vary in speed with traits turning on and off).
  • Easy on gear continues to be an utterly useless trait having zero effect on anything.

The TLDR of the post by Yserin up above, and pretty much I think how almost everyone feels, is that this whole update is a god awful mess, and people are so frustrated with it they are struggling to explain how they feel without being vitriolic. I started and stopped this post multiple times as it just started to get that way, and I was trying to make it constructive.

For the sake of making different appearing horses (both new appearances of which are exceedingly ugly is the general opinion I have seen expressed) you have completely reworked a system that had some flaws that could have been addressed mostly by doing what was done this patch to decrease negative traits.

The fact that bonus abilities for higher AH simply don't work at the moment is an added insult.

With this round of horse breeding now coming out on non PvP, I see the negatives are gone, but still when breeding a horse with 3 speed traits to one with 4 speed traits, I more often than not drop to either 2 speed traits or 2 + the mostly useless water trait, making them slower, and a bunch of traits that nobody wants. Horse coat colours are still seemingly random.

Without having been mentioned anywhere, it also seems that speed and draught traits have been made mutually exclusive. Nothing born with a speed pool has ANY draught traits and vice versa. Now that the also unmentioned negative effects of speed traits on hitched speeds has been removed, I'd literally prefer to be able to breed for the three working speed traits and a couple of draught again... but even at 100 AH, the fact that useful traits have gone from effectively costing 10 AH each up to 15 or 20 in most cases, would make this impossible even if I could.

The idea of breeding to a dominant pool and just randoming the rest has got to be about the worst of it, there is no longer any skill involved in attempting to breed a custom line, just mash two dominant pools of the same type together and hope for the rng to do something good with the remainder, and 20 odd useless traits far outweighing useful ones. Frankly, it just plain sucks.

Go back to both parents contributing to breeding outcomes - if both parents have a matching trait, it is greatly favored to pass on over introducing new ones.

If one parent has a trait and the other doesn't it 50/50's which one is passed on.

At very high AH, give an abililty to once a day remove an unwanted trait from 1 horse, thus removing the inherent penalty of simply getting traits you don't want as a result of your having high AH skill.

The higher AH having a reduced chance of negative was long suggested in forum threads, it's a pity it took this mess for it to be introduced, but that at least was a step in the right direction.

Trying to have patience with this, but the frustration level is so high that I have gone from enjoying the game, to having to stop and take breaks to unclench my jaw and stop grinding my teeth.

I'd rather have it at 50-70-90 +1 or have it as hourly cooldown ability, it's silly to limit it to 1 per day.. if you breed 20-50 horses to roll rng.. at the end of the day.. if you make 20 bad horses or half-useful every week.. do you have 20 days to fix the existing by the time you get the next broken batch?

Maybe have it as 3-2-1hour cooldown ability for 50-70-90.. even then it's kind of insult to the amount of work.. and amount of going back and forth to fix rng nonsense for high skill...  it's some kind of fix to existing mess.. but still unpleasant and a slap in the face; imagine farmer having to cow 100 corn and having to take 1hour cooldown break or a day off.. to continue.. it's ... still some walk away from well planned mechanic.

The perfect spot might be .. putting 1-3hour cooldown for treatment on the creature itself based on player's skill 90-70-50 and ability to remove 1 trait with some treatment AH/NS/Alchemy(not actual blessing alchemy again).. 

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

I'd rather have it at 50-70-90 +1 or have it as hourly cooldown ability, it's silly to limit it to 1 per day.. if you breed 20-50 horses to roll rng.. at the end of the day.. if you make 20 bad horses or half-useful every week.. do you have 20 days to fix the existing by the time you get the next broken batch?

Maybe have it as 3-2-1hour cooldown ability for 50-70-90.. even then it's kind of insult to the amount of work.. and amount of going back and forth to fix rng nonsense for high skill...  it's some kind of fix to existing mess.. but still unpleasant and a slap in the face; imagine farmer having to cow 100 corn and having to take 1hour cooldown break or a day off.. to continue.. it's ... still some walk away from well planned mechanic.

The perfect spot might be .. putting 1-3hour cooldown for treatment on the creature itself based on player's skill 90-70-50 and ability to remove 1 trait with some treatment AH/NS/Alchemy(not actual blessing alchemy again).. 

The idea is to be able to clean an unwanted trait off a breeding line when it occurs, not to clean up every horse - you then use your cleaned up horse to breed with, thus requiring you to selectively breed for the line you want over time. I'm also not suggesting it as a way of removing negative traits, we have Fo preists and rites that can do that already. If we go back to being able to breed custom lines, remove the added output traits, and higher AH lowers negative trait chances, we are back to where we were, but with the addition of a few desired traits, and a once or maybe twice a day ability to clean off an unwanted neutral trait would mean that high AH was not a punishment as you were given a way to deal with being thrown a curve ball occasionally as result of your skill. 

It would still be hard work to introduce a particular desired trait each time your AH raised to the point where your cap allowed another trait in, but you would at least not be so much at the mercy of the RNG when it adds something you don't want - you may not progress towards your target on a particular foal, but you would also not be forced to discard it due to the appearance of a trait you don't want.

Edited by Delone
Typos
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Delone said:

The idea is to be able to clean an unwanted trait off a breeding line when it occurs, not to clean up every horse - you then use your cleaned up horse to breed with, thus requiring you to selectively breed for the line you want over time. I'm also not suggesting it as a way of removing negative traits, we have Fo preists and rites that can do that already. If we go back to being able to breed custom lines, remove the added output traits, and higher AH lowers negative trait chances, we are back to where we were, but with the addition of a few desired traits, and a once or maybe twice a day ability to clean off an unwanted neutral trait would mean that high AH was not a punishment as you were given a way to deal with being thrown a curve ball occasionally as result of your skill. 

It would still be hard work to introduce a particular desired trait each time your AH raised to the point where your cap allowed another trait in, but you would at least not be so much at the mercy of the RNG when it adds something you don't want - you may not progress towards your target on a particular foal, but you would also not be forced to discard it due to the appearance of a trait you don't want.

it's weird to be not a skill related mechanic but a path ability with one day cooldown.. no other skill have this harsh limitation

whole split to have skill-related nonsense and dependency to priest is broken

a lot of things in AH still do not take AH skill level and scale to it

half the information in inspect animal window is still questionably working or bugged at times, some lose parent information when they are next to them.. other are hungry but not showing, other can breed in window but actually wont, other are in cooldown and shouldn't but - actually can breed.. unsure if some of the odd ready to gather resource messages are cleared now, or the odd traits that just cant be useful in any way at all on the creature they are on; dominant skills transfering from only 1 parent seem off and in my experience it's mostly speed, on creatures where that shouldn't be dominant trait at all

skilling up high is questionably useful, it's mostly allowing you to achieve higher point sup to your skill, but does not guarantee it at all

we're not talking about need to trade skills and services but only one way dependency here, what does a fo priest need from AH skilled character?

a lot of things in this patch that is whole content update is just a total untested mess that barely works and do not feel like wurm world bound rules, I expected finally freedom from fos.. but no we have bigger dependency to it than ever, and with the major expansion of 'good' traits that can transfer around but are absolutely useless.. we have more reasons to slaughter and re-roll

if you claim there's some balance.. I do not see it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Delone said:

Well said.
Coupled with the ongoing communication failure I can only think of this dictionary entry as an accurate description of this patch: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/cluster######

• Like 5

Just as an update of one of the horses I have been monitoring: 40 foals born now and none of them have had tough bugger, that's a whopping 0% inheritance rate from the mother or the father.

I don't think I can have any more damning evidence than this that the process is only taking the dominant pool and randomising that and then throwing other random from any pool thereafter, some of which are more heavily weighted than others. Obviously the one im looking for isn't in that heavily weighted list.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Just as an update of one of the horses I have been monitoring: 40 foals born now and none of them have had tough bugger, that's a whopping 0% inheritance rate from the mother or the father.

I don't think I can have any more damning evidence than this that the process is only taking the dominant pool and randomising that and then throwing other random from any pool thereafter, some of which are more heavily weighted than others. Obviously the one im looking for isn't in that heavily weighted list.

that's easy to notice as it takes the speed or draft traits and dumps a variety of random nonsense after that.. adds a bit of negatives for fun... and the misc/'good' and combat traits are still useless but not called that way.. I haven't gotten to the point to get traits up to my skill... really pissed off by this system.

Of course its easy to notice and anyone can make a statement but having the foals to back it up holds more weight than your cursing eveywhere

• Like 2

I'm not working here... don't know what you expect. This is not the bug section, it's just comments.

This is faster, easier and more reliable to unit test, compared to asking people what they get after 5-10 day creature pregnancy for different animal types and to track what everybody replies in different threads.

Now that I have a pair of draught horses with the 3 common effective traits (It has a strong body. It can carry more than average. It has strong legs.) I am seeing a lot of "sticking" with speeds. Without changing gear or weight carried the speed at which a cart will travel will spend long periods stuck on one speed or another and not change. Dismounting and remounting can often make a lightly laded cart with these horses and 70ql shoes with 80's woa go from being stuck on say 16.73kph for 10 minutes, to being able to do 22+kph again.

I understand that the traits are kicking in and out.... but it certainly seems that they are doing so at very long intervals, unlike what i see when riding a horse with speed traits, where the speed is almost continuosly changing as the traits turn on and off.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

4 hours ago, Delone said:

Now that I have a pair of draught horses with the 3 common effective traits (It has a strong body. It can carry more than average. It has strong legs.) I am seeing a lot of "sticking" with speeds. Without changing gear or weight carried the speed at which a cart will travel will spend long periods stuck on one speed or another and not change. Dismounting and remounting can often make a lightly laded cart with these horses and 70ql shoes with 80's woa go from being stuck on say 16.73kph for 10 minutes, to being able to do 22+kph again.

I understand that the traits are kicking in and out.... but it certainly seems that they are doing so at very long intervals, unlike what i see when riding a horse with speed traits, where the speed is almost continuosly changing as the traits turn on and off.

imagine using 92-95ql normal and rare set of shoes with 90-100 woa and moving at 19-21km/h on 76ql normal cart, not that ql helps a lot..

similar experience.. moved back and forth on a low-slope road.. neither the climbing or going downhill seemed to help for any speed change unless the slope is too big to slow you, downhill -down think it's a mechanic to speed up

what I noticed is.. 21kmh speed on farmland.. and 19 flat speed or worse on the road..(traits can mislead or keep you slowly moving for a while) - we have no control over what triggers, when it does, and for how long it lasts.

tNs7xVO.jpg

Is this seriously meant to be acceptable? I find this even worse than the average drop to 2 speed traits, and a bunch of random crap... how the hell is the game working out traits and available AH points to come up with a foal like this, with 45 points unspent from two 65 point parents with matching traits?

Is there a Dev even paying any attention to this crap? Communication once again AWOL. 

The changes to animal husbandry with this update, have taken it from being a skill.... to a lottery - with the odds stacked against you.

Edited by Delone
  • Like 3

Rant incoming: Just curious whether all these terrible nerfy results were intended to teach the wurm animal breeders that they should have just shut up and be happy with what they had previously, or is it unintended but oh well, just better learn to live with or leave the game? I also went to extaordinary lengths to do the caring for pretty ponies with a myriad of premmed alts, several of which groomed to get to 50 AH, paying for a lot of land to keep ratios under control, having a fo priest on ice to prem during breeding cycles, enchanters to keep tiles maintained, and most of all loving my fast cart and wagon. Why does it seem that now it is only possible to have either speed or draft traits per animal? What exactly is the thinking here? Why include more random crappy traits we can't get rid of with an even bigger chance to get random weirdness? Why nerf slow vehicles even more instead of giving it proper speed bonus with decent base speeds? Not everyone has hours to travel or fight off mobs that keep catching up because you can't travel fast enough. I have seen many updates over the years, and some sucked, but people could generally ignore them. In this case, these nerfs affect every player. Is the thinking that the game will attract a new, younger generation of players with this update to replace the oldies who leave because of it. Or to see how far the current loyal people can be pushed before the leave? Truly curious about the motivations for the changes.

• Like 5

-

Edited by Yserin

@DeloneI choose to focus on the fact that you have no water speed trait, and that is a plus in my book and eyes, congrats;

if it's really bred AFTER last patch.. it's sad to see that still only 1 parent passes 'dominant' traits.. from the looks of it - not even all, and that's it. : /

1 hour ago, Yserin said:

this is exactly the kind of trait point cut I saw with the two inbred pairs before this last patch. so for whatever reason I am willing to bet my cattle that the game thinks those parents are related and the foal is considered inbred.

Except this was bred after the last patch, had the game considered it to be inbreeding (and I know for a fact that it isn't) I would have got the nice orange warning text to tell me so, and should also have been penalised with negative traits, of which there are none.

I have attempted to deliberately inbreed just to see if the warning actually takes places, and it does, so that would also rule that out.

1 hour ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Yes, we are watching and reading and taking in information, Delone.

That's great, because I'd like to hear from somebody who knows how the code is supposed to be working, and have them explain how the foal in the above example is in any way considered to be a reasonable outcome of a system that is supposed to be breeding towards dominant trait lines, yet regularly reduces either the number of points by giving lesser value ones, or straight out drops traits, especially when there are so many unspent available points?

I got better results than this when I had 30 AH pre update. Hell, a 0 AH character got better results than this when breeding 2 horses with 4 matching traits. To be seeing it with 75 AH is absurd.

This is the extreme end of the spectrum, but it really isn't that different to 50% of my foals turning up with less points in the dominant trait pool than either parent, and a bunch of useless output  and misc traits. Potentially useful combat traits and draught traits are simply not even showing up (which must be especially annoying to PvP) - I have yet to see fight fierce or tough bugger in any foal, and draught traits are also conspicuously absent from speed dominant parents, and vice versa. 

Is this really intended, or is something broken? 

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this