Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

This app can't run on your PC

I last successfully ran WO on 18 May 2021.  

On 15 June 2021 I get a Windows message that "This app can't run on your PC." (Running Windows 10 - 64bit).  Having uninstalled the launcher, then uninstalled Java, then reinstalled Java then the WO launcher, I get exactly ONE instance of the launcher displaying a progress bar for launcher update but it never moves beyond 0%.  After 2 or so minutes, the progress window vanishes, and we are back to "This app can't run on your PC."

I have installed the 2021-05 Windows 10 cumulative update and successfully run WO since.  I have NOT yet installed the 2021-06 update.

Edited by TheTrickster

Maybe I didn't make it clear in the original post, but I thought posting in "Technical Issues" had the clear implication - I am looking for assistance.

Please provide some screenshots of the error messages you have been getting, and the progress bar you mentioned so we can narrow down where it fails.

Reinstalling Java won't help, as the native launcher does not use system-installed Java and instead uses its own runtime.

Only thing I can think of right now would be some antivirus software as that seems to be the only thing recently popping up that has prevented some players from launching the game.

I'm not sure what this means though:

I have installed the 2021-05 Windows 10 cumulative update and successfully run WO since

Did this happen after first being unable to start the game? And successfully run means you actually got through the launcher and into the game?

Thanks, @Samool.

I actually think I have resolved it.  I had to go to work, though, so will have to verify later.  It seems that one of the first things that running the launcher does rename the launcher .exe file and create/download a new launcher.  My modem/gateway seems to have partially crashed, resulting in the first download failing, which then results in a new launcher .exe file that is non-functional.  A factory reset and hard reboot of the gateway seems to have fixed that.

(BTW - I was simply saying that as of the 2021-05 Win update, WO was still functional for me - all the way into the game.  Win updates are so good at breaking things I thought it worth ruling out.)

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1