Sign in to follow this  
Gumbert

An Epic Migration

26 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Who's going to play if devs reset every server?

- It's a free ticket to sklopoloposhmopowopolishj(know the name but it doesn't matter and you get the point), that or whatever other wu server with 10+ people will suddenly get super rich on players and donations, while ccab closes doors in 1 to few months due loss of trust. Why do you think freedomers didn't move to NFI? They have stuff on SFI.. creatures/items/skills - wipe that.. see what happens - the gates are open.. for new games or wurm with more reliable service, all you expect is to have something to return to, the other thing that wurm have done well is the world persistence as long you maintain it.. with activity and/or upkeep, even if you aren't active you can still hold your things as long you pay the rent.

I get all that Finn and you are right also, no one wants to loose anything, be it freedom, epic or w/e NFI cluster players. However, the one thing that i believe literally everyone agree on is that there are way too many servers for the population of players. No one does argue about that. And there's literally one way to fix it all - close all. As i said i don't see it happening ever probably, but that's the only one solution there is. Devs were never thinking long term ever in wurm, they cashed in on the opportunity at the time well knowing it will lead to this.. Everyone seen it coming straight away when they kept announcing new servers. But theres nothing to be done apart closing old and releasing new era of Wurm. No tweaks or nerfs ever gonna fix the problems we are dealing with. Its been tried and tried again and always result was the same. If you restart only epic servers its not gonna solve anything. Its still the same player base, you might get initial month or 2 higher population count but within few months it will die again. its proven by now numerous times. End of the day the way i see it - if really nothing ever gonna get critically done the Wurm project will end up closed for good anyways. Then we also loose everything including the game too

• Like 1

There is no fresh start in Wurm.

Only fresh land rush.

Any new players, that would join wiped Epic, would be totally dominated by experienced players sooner or later. In skilling, in crafting, in pvp and on the trade field.

We had a sample of this on Defiance.

New players should not get false promises about fresh start that will be "fair for all".

• Like 2

Closing all the servers and starting new with less servers wont fix anything is they don't fix the current issues. (well, would help with low population)

There are some things that are broken. You all keep mentioning them.

PVP.....major issues with PVP, don't think so?  Then why does every PVP server start with a huge pop then slowly empty? 

Decay....major issue that the world cant correct itself and looks like a dump site. Don't just up the decay rate a little, make it speed up as the item decays.  Have land that's not deeded slowly return to original. 

Just another idea that can be tested on Elevation

To put it simply,  wipe it and start over, wont fix anything. Make a new server with all the same rules, fixes nothing. Need to try some new ideas. Use Elevation to test it

• Like 1

I can fairly certainly say that I would not come back to a Wurm after wipe, even not when all skills were preserved, and certainly under any circumstances never when not. If all ppl would stay on board after a wipe and boil down to 4 servers, it would be a nightmare, not only due to gankers. I recall how unnerving the northern servers were, and partially still are, with those crowds of players. It is not true that "everyone" thinks we have too many servers. We have enough of them, ok.  But NFI with only 2 servers to sail to is dead boring travel wise. Time for cluster opening. As to experimenting with Elevation, I am not against.

Elevation as an experimental server would do nothing for the game or the server. Just look at the challenge servers. Challenge was made by rolf to test the game . It was literally 100% F2P no prem needed. Max skill gain/timers and all of them except the first one died within 2-3 weeks

If you can't even get people to play on a experimental free to play server what makes you think a paid to play server would work....

I get your point, Acerifle. But: Rolf was even more terrible on PR (not to mention design and implemenation) and community communication that the team in general, and that does mean something. They improved a bit though still creating disasters like the AH/vehicle nerf/catastrophe. With a testing attitude of "swallow that, may be arsenic, plutonium, or something utterly novel and productive, just find out" you are sure to find many friends.

If things are done wrong continuosly, and fail, that is no proof that they cannot succeed when done properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AceRifle said:

Elevation as an experimental server would do nothing for the game or the server. Just look at the challenge servers. Challenge was made by rolf to test the game . It was literally 100% F2P no prem needed. Max skill gain/timers and all of them except the first one died within 2-3 weeks

If you can't even get people to play on a experimental free to play server what makes you think a paid to play server would work....

nobody knows that wurm exists.. no promoting online, game is full of unpolished mechanics after so many years.. last few big patches are unnecessary nerf after nerf;  start to end progression should be planned all over and if something's missing should be added or polished if the current state is still rough and unwelcoming.

Game made sense to be this slow and harsh in RMT mode.. in this one.. it's further casual sub model game, and sub model games have rough time, we can barely name a few, some turned to buy to play because they can afford it and kept printing cash shop items for microtransactions and expansions/dlcs..

I'd start with.. 'would you recommend wurm as game to a friend', even as F2P.. the amount of time it takes is insane, the daily play is slow and maybe 'rewarding' for some, but as the years pass we have seen people start craving more and more instant gratification and not slow buildups.

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

nobody knows that wurm exists.. no promoting online, game is full of unpolished mechanics after so many years.. last few big patches are unnecessary nerf after nerf;  start to end progression should be planned all over and if something's missing should be added or polished if the current state is still rough and unwelcoming.

Game made sense to be this slow and harsh in RMT mode.. in this one.. it's further casual sub model game, and sub model games have rough time, we can barely name a few, some turned to buy to play because they can afford it and kept printing cash shop items for microtransactions and expansions/dlcs..

I'd start with.. 'would you recommend wurm as game to a friend', even as F2P.. the amount of time it takes is insane, the daily play is slow and maybe 'rewarding' for some, but as the years pass we have seen people start craving more and more instant gratification and not slow buildups.

Advertising and promoting wurm is a separate issue that needs to be addressed. No doubt about that.

Maybe Epic could use some advertisement as well. Why don't I see any mention to RvR anywhere?

When people are told Epic is PvP they think it's this cruel world where people are waiting in the woods to kill you. While is possible, but it didn't happen to me even when it was more populated. Never saw any same-kingdom fight.

It is very unique from many other games in that you can help your realm in many more ways than combat: building defenses, crafting, scouting etc. Why is this never sold?

And wiping Epic? Weren't there wipes already and how did it help? People hate starting from scratch in Wurm, come on...

• Like 1