Sign in to follow this  
Gumbert

An Epic Migration

54 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Bank accounts.

If the North and South are ever to be merged, this will need to be unified anyway.  

How extensive is the bank account separation currently? aren't all bank accounts basically the same and stored on GV?  Would money transferring on Epic not be one suitable first step to uniting the economies?

54 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

disrupt the separation between the clusters.

Disrupt the separation between the two economies? or do you mean some other disruption?

I think that any merger to the economies would come as less of a shock if transfers were already starting to take place on Epic.

When Pristine and Release were on a New separate cluster, some people were using Epic to transfer silver between 'Old' and 'New' clusters, I understand devs at the time even suggested it to players, but I didn't see that that harmed the separation, both economies remained bouyant, in fact it probably only served to smooth the final economic merge.

Just some ideas.

Edited by Muse

7 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Right another idea: As the devs are so slow with everything concerning Epic, the cluster merge may be complete before a decision about Epic. Wouldn't it a better idea to merge Epic with Defiance then instead of Chaos?

Why would it be a better idea?? Why would a 10 year old server be better off merging with a one year old server....

There should be no Chaos or Defiance. Rolf biggest mistake to the pvp community was reopening Wild and renaming it to chaos. The second he did that people who were losing on Epic left and went back to Chaos along with people who didn't want to regrind accounts.

Delete Defiance. We got 3 active deeds on that server one for each kingdom. The rest are just war deeds or have upkeep from launch. Turn off pvp on chaos for good. Allow all accounts to go to epic via portal. Add a week cooldown on portal so people cant just jump over to defend against raids and jump back to freedom. Remove template kingdoms. Either have PMKs or Village vs Village warfare on epic. Re add minehops, make boat travel faster at least double the current speed.

Split PVP community problem solved.

Edited by AceRifle

1 hour ago, AceRifle said:

Why would it be a better idea?? Why would a 10 year old server be better off merging with a one year old server....

There should be no Chaos or Defiance. Rolf biggest mistake to the pvp community was reopening Wild and renaming it to chaos. The second he did that people who were losing on Epic left and went back to Chaos along with people who didn't want to regrind accounts.

Delete Defiance. We got 3 active deeds on that server one for each kingdom. The rest are just war deeds or have upkeep from launch. Turn off pvp on chaos for good. Allow all accounts to go to epic via portal. Add a week cooldown on portal so people cant just jump over to defend against raids and jump back to freedom. Remove template kingdoms. Either have PMKs or Village vs Village warfare on epic. Re add minehops, make boat travel faster at least double the current speed.

Split PVP community problem solved.

this on top of removing all the ridiculous mechanics added to elevation in the first place, you know kind of like a 1ql shield on a non prem with 1 shield skill being able to block 100% of attacks, characteristics being rounded down by 30% effectiveness and the rest of the silly ######

• Like 1

I play both on Epic (seldom) and on Freedom (since 1 and a half years).

I wouldn't like Epic to become an extension of Chaos. The game there has what I think would be the perfect pace to play Wurm.

But 2-way transfers of skill... that would be good. I would play more there, because I would know something remains on my character. Even if they give the 3x boost thing back on Freedom. I would still play.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree. I like Epic a lot, but rarely play there. A major reason is that there is no skill retransfer.

A question to old Epicers (and to OR as he seems to understand the mechanics better than me): Would it be ok to abolish shortened timers on Epic? Without them, the skill transfer calculation back to Freedom would be trivial if I don't overlook something.

Make EPIC a version of a test server. Elevation, not the home servers. I have to many ideas to post here and some of it doesn't fit this topic so will start a new one. 

The main problem with this game is PVP.  We all know it but every post on PVP is the same, old school, pvp'ers speaking. (the same people that only come back for a new server)

If the issue was "skill gain" this server cluster would be full and Freedom would be empty, right?

I been playing this game for 15 years but moved to epic just after the skill transfer apparently. (ever heard of it) I came here cause I love to build and with the short timers I can do an awesome deed in a few month, not a year. But eventually you have built enough. I want GOOD pvp, not what we currently have.

Why kill this server cluster? Use it to test some new PVP concepts. If people hear of it and flock to it you know what to do on the rest of them. If not no loss and very few folks to ###### about the changes. 

Full loot PVP ruins every game, the question is how do you do partial loot fairly so its worth fighting but not worth rage quitting when you loose. That's my new post.....

7 hours ago, Gunnbjorn said:

Make EPIC a version of a test server. Elevation, not the home servers. I have to many ideas to post here and some of it doesn't fit this topic so will start a new one. 

Issue here after the AH update is the playerbase clearly does not want to play premium to be game testers / bug testers. That's a full job in itself. Also Epic has a history in itself where certain mechanics had to be changed and remove, some belatedly so and this left the players there feeling life beta testers. 

7 hours ago, Gunnbjorn said:

Full loot PVP ruins every game, the question is how do you do partial loot fairly so its worth fighting but not worth rage quitting when you loose. That's my new post.....

I'm ok with anything that implies partial loot pvp or even no loot pvp. And honestly every pvp wurmian agrees on this else they wouldn't have bothered buying res stones en masse to save their own gear. Pvpers will contradict and say that the "joy" , "fun" and "adrenaline" of pvp is in the possibility of losing your hard earned gear. After so many years I can honestly say it's a load of manure. They don't want to lose gear. They want the other people to lose theirs to sell their gains for profit. 

But now RMT is gone. The economic aspect of raiding and stealing stuff to sell them for real life $ is gone. Perhaps a new change in mentality is required to foster pvp in the long run. 

Ask yourself this, dear pvp Wurmian, what are the main barriers of entry to pvp? ( I assure you full loot pvp is one of them)  

And do you really want to keep them up as pvp dies more and more on chaos / defiance till there's only the hardliners who advocate for full loot pvp ? Sure you can be a king of this argument but you will be a king on a lonely island at this rate. 

11 minutes ago, elentari said:

Ask yourself this, dear pvp Wurmian, what are the main barriers of entry to pvp? ( I assure you full loot pvp is one of them)  

And do you really want to keep them up as pvp dies more and more on chaos / defiance till there's only the hardliners who advocate for full loot pvp ? Sure you can be a king of this argument but you will be a king on a lonely island at this rate. 

the main pvpers have pushed to lower barriers of entry for better part of the last decade, everything from changing armor, breeding timers, imping speed, removing sotg on defiance and epic, reducing sotg, reducing body strength damage reduction, removing of sorcery for elevation and defiance, the list goes on. what it comes down to: the game is just simply not appealing to the vast majority of people, let alone pvp being appealing

at what point do you settle with the 40 people that currently have and have had that possess the intestinal fortitude for pvp? 

if you want a battle royale server go suggest it and see how it does

im glad you make the assumption that people buying res stones only want to do it because "they dont want full loot pvp". no, you do it because you want to get your enemies loot and to not lose yours. 

to be honest you've probably pvp'd less than half a dozen times in your entire wurm career, stop telling pvpers what they want/how they feel. and stop arguing about epic skilling mechanics when you clearly have no idea how they work

Well, a challenge type server with testing the idea of no loot  pvp wouldn't really harm anything. Even a short one for 3-4 months would be a good attempt, maybe for further Wurm implementation.  Logging in to a  Wurm pvp server without worrying about loot and just go out and fight could probably bring some new fun into the mix. Yeah I haven't played much on elevation and didn't pvp much, but I didn't shy away from pvp when raiders came, even if I knew 99% of the time I'd lose the fight, I still went out with my few rare gear I had, died, and went out again the next time. I keep hearing from some old pvpers how the old days of epic / chaos were the best when everyone was running around in chain and fights happened daily. I wonder if perhaps simplifying pvp would be a good way to go .

That's another thing that right now seems to be a bit lost in Wurm, just engaging without caring if you live or die and this circles back to the loot / gearing situation.. Everyone makes a long analysis of who's on, what offices are on,  how many priests are on which side, and generally make an estimate of whether you win the fight or not before it happens. 

And I'm not telling anyone what to do or feel, but at this point isn't there enough data data full loot pvp has had it's say and maybe it's just time to try something else?

Edited by elentari

34 minutes ago, elentari said:

Well, a challenge type server with testing the idea of no loot  pvp wouldn't really harm anything. Even a short one for 3-4 months would be a good attempt, maybe for further Wurm implementation.  Logging in to a  Wurm pvp server without worrying about loot and just go out and fight could probably bring some new fun into the mix. Yeah I haven't played much on elevation and didn't pvp much, but I didn't shy away from pvp when raiders came, even if I knew 99% of the time I'd lose the fight, I still went out with my few rare gear I had, died, and went out again the next time. I keep hearing from some old pvpers how the old days of epic / chaos were the best when everyone was running around in chain and fights happened daily. I wonder if perhaps simplifying pvp would be a good way to go .

That's another thing that right now seems to be a bit lost in Wurm, just engaging without caring if you live or die and this circles back to the loot / gearing situation.. Everyone makes a long analysis of who's on, what offices are on,  how many priests are on which side, and generally make an estimate of whether you win the fight or not before it happens. 

And I'm not telling anyone what to do or feel, but at this point isn't there enough data data full loot pvp has had it's say and maybe it's just time to try something else?

im going to be real with you, sorry i was dealing with some in game ###### and was pissed off waiting hours to get my horses back from bad game mechanics that weren't thoroughly tested prior to implementation and took it out on you in my previous psot

yeah, you're right. at some point you gotta try new things, thats pretty much what defiance was for and the end result was barely a net positive after 6 months. You can't really try no-loot without restrictions such as "character can't move for 30 minutes after being killed" or something, because at that point you can die respawn die respawn die respawn and continue to fight. We're already seeing this on defiance where one side is outnumbering but still being on the offensive side of things, and people just die willy nilly and run straight back out regared in 2 minutes because creating a set of gear takes 25 minutes at most. 

i think the biggest factor is player skill. a great example is (and im sorry wayin) the other day I caught someone on defiance that has a way more developed character than me, and I whittled both of his horses down, started grabbing aggressive animals and dragging them to him, and without even losing a single horse I killed him. I was able to utilize my knowledge of swing timers against him extremely well, and whether or not he lost loot, thats a very, very demoralizing experience. That kind of thing happens to literally every new pvper that steps into the game, idk if theres a way around it

im all for "something fresh" but, the problem is when we get something "fresh" and it doesn't work (see raid timers on defiance for capitals placed in the middle of the map controlling very valuable land) we never get any "okay, this didn't work as planned, lets try something new now." We end up just getting stuck because frankly this game doesn't have enough staff, nor office hours apparently, to put out a decent quality or frequency of updates

tldr; wurm

• Like 1

Guess we need a dedicated dev or two that would exclusively work on pvp for any suggestion or dream to happen. 

3 hours ago, platinumteef said:

the main pvpers have pushed to lower barriers of entry for better part of the last decade, everything from changing armor, breeding timers, imping speed, removing sotg on defiance and epic, reducing sotg, reducing body strength damage reduction, removing of sorcery for elevation and defiance, the list goes on. what it comes down to: the game is just simply not appealing to the vast majority of people, let alone pvp being appealing

and what exact game mechanic was changed here? i only see some stupid nerfs and "tweaks" that were known to fail before they even started.. Why? because those were the ideas of so called 'PVPers', what THEY think would make pvp more appealing to public. No one ever listened what non/semi-pvpers had to say why they dont go pvp and when some odd one did suggest something what he felt would make him get involved, he soon was shut down by the same few "PeVePe" community members. So you have what you have - the same 15 ppl to pvp with/against. 

Full loot is the reason why most ppl dont even reside on pvp server, never mind actually going out of the deed to pvp. Hell, even PVPers like you barely reside on pvp server, as you all grind on pve and only port to pvp server when there's some action. That is just wrong and destined to fail. There should be no "double" meditation paths, double faith and crap. Same skills everywhere with the same faith, same meditation regardless pvp/pve server. 

Damn, wasn't you the one stubborn about Epic- freedom 1 to 1 transfer in the other post? what's the intensive ppl get to play on epic? why not leaving epic as it is and adding all round 1-1 transfer for skills and gear? So noobs can have a server to skill up faster to catch up, vets can have a server to skill up faster to their 100s and everyone who wants to skill up or build stuff faster can reside on pvp server making a heathy community actually living on pvp servers at the increased risk of getting killed, ganked or w/e. No, PVPers like you care ###### about making pvp appealing, all you care is "why did i have to spend 10 years the beta player will get in 5" sort of stuff. No crucial changes were ever made so you cant expect no stuff to last. 

As i've mentioned before the only way Epic could get traction again is if it got a restart and was fully seperated from the other servers. No skill and item transfers.

For those wondering: The current portal system where most skills pass over from Freedom to Defiance is one of the major reasons why Defiance is close to dying already.

There is zero incentive for people to actually stay and grind on Defiance, which has no economy and is far less comfortable to grind on than Freedom is.

Epic solves this problem with it's homeservers, which offer relative safety and a bit of excitement for casual players.

However Epic will only be able to succeed if it gets a full rewind.

Those who currently play on Epic should get booted to Freedom or simply skill/item wiped and that should be it. I'm sorry if that's harsh to the few that still play, but they had the chance to migrate in the past when Epic was on life-support.

42 minutes ago, GroeneAppel said:

I'm sorry if that's harsh to the few that still play, but they had the chance to migrate in the past when Epic was on life-support.

It's a bit more than harsh. And in case you forgot, Epic was isolated for a long time and dying before the skill transfer. 

The reason we saw so many accounts repremming in the first place on epic was due to the skill transfer. I can assure you our population  back then was unhealthy at best and dying at worst. Having servers isolated from each other doesn't help. We've kept adding servers over the years further splitting the playerbase. 

An item wipe on Epic would be understandable but a skill wipe? Let me stress this again. A person paying for premium on Epic has the same rights as a person paying for premium who plays on Release, or Indy or Chaos, or whatever. 

Tell the folks on Deliverance "hey guys we're gonna wipe your skills after all these years you've invested so much time and money, hoping it will do the game good". I can handle losing all my items on Epic, I wouldn't be salty about that, even though I'd lose a few hundred euros worth of stuff earned over the years. But seeing people who simply wanted to play on the same servers they've played for years under the promise of permanency - which by the way is one of Wurm's defining features - and paying money just to wipe their earned skills, is more than harsh. 

I get it. It's an online game, connected to servers that can always shutdown at any moment. But still, Epic players deserve a better treatment than this. We can figure out some mathematical solutions to port skills as fairly as possible but I can't see how starting over from scratch will do the game any good. Keep in mind a lot of people from Freedom / Epic didn't want to start over on defiance precisely because it would be a further time sink to start anew. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elentari said:

It's a bit more than harsh. And in case you forgot, Epic was isolated for a long time and dying before the skill transfer. 

The reason we saw so many accounts repremming in the first place on epic was due to the skill transfer. I can assure you our population  back then was unhealthy at best and dying at worst. Having servers isolated from each other doesn't help. We've kept adding servers over the years further splitting the playerbase. 

An item wipe on Epic would be understandable but a skill wipe? Let me stress this again. A person paying for premium on Epic has the same rights as a person paying for premium who plays on Release, or Indy or Chaos, or whatever. 

Tell the folks on Deliverance "hey guys we're gonna wipe your skills after all these years you've invested so much time and money, hoping it will do the game good". I can handle losing all my items on Epic, I wouldn't be salty about that, even though I'd lose a few hundred euros worth of stuff earned over the years. But seeing people who simply wanted to play on the same servers they've played for years under the promise of permanency - which by the way is one of Wurm's defining features - and paying money just to wipe their earned skills, is more than harsh. 

I get it. It's an online game, connected to servers that can always shutdown at any moment. But still, Epic players deserve a better treatment than this. We can figure out some mathematical solutions to port skills as fairly as possible but I can't see how starting over from scratch will do the game any good. Keep in mind a lot of people from Freedom / Epic didn't want to start over on defiance precisely because it would be a further time sink to start anew. 

It was my understanding that the skill transfer existed purely to let people transfer away from Epic, not start playing on it. I'm absolutely fine with just transfering these people to Freedom and then restarting everything. The end result is still the same, Epic gets a full reset.

Comparing Deliverance to Epic is not how it works. Epic from the start was meant to get a reset once in a while, however this never happened in the end. This is the same reason why Epic actually died later on. Things simply got stale and the skillgap got far too large. All those changes tacked on later just made it worse.

Just resetting items + map on Epic will do nothing. Those high end accounts will just pump out 90ql tools in the first week and dominate the actual newbies, is that what you really want? That is also not what made Epic so fun in the beginning.

Not to mention, those hunderds of euro's don't apply to Epic. An item is worth as much as somoene is willing to pay for it. Those items on Epic have no more value left in them. Same thing on Defiance, there is no economy and items don't have the same value to them as on Freedom.

Again, the only solution is to wipe it all out and start over. What happens to the remaining people does not matter, but they can't stay on Epic and expect to keep their gear/skills

Edited by GroeneAppel
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, GroeneAppel said:

It was my understanding that the skill transfer existed purely to let people transfer away from Epic, not start playing on it. I'm absolutely fine with just transfering these people to Freedom and then restarting everything. The end result is still the same, Epic gets a full reset.

Comparing Deliverance to Epic is not how it works. Epic from the start was meant to get a reset once in a while, however this never happened in the end. This is the same reason why Epic actually died later on. Things simply got stale and the skillgap got far too large. All those changes tacked on later just made it worse.

Just resetting items + map on Epic will do nothing. Those high end accounts will just pump out 90ql tools in the first week and dominate the actual newbies, is that what you really want? That is also not what made Epic so fun in the beginning.

Not to mention, those hunderds of euro's don't apply to Epic. An item is worth as much as somoene is willing to pay for it. Those items on Epic have no more value left in them. Same thing on Defiance, there is no economy and items don't have the same value to them as on Freedom.

Again, the only solution is to wipe it all out and start over. What happens to the remaining people does not matter, but they can't stay on Epic and expect to keep their gear/skills

i know most would disagree but for pure nostalgia purposes i would love the four original servers in that scenario lol

the original skill transfer WAS meant to get people to start playing on epic though, so much so that they didn't allow us to transfer skills off until we all threw a huge fit about it being ######. It was changed to be "both ways" within two hours of original post.

47 minutes ago, GroeneAppel said:

Again, the only solution is to wipe it all out and start over. What happens to the remaining people does not matter

Totally agree with this part of yours. Wurm beta v1.151 should be discontinued fully and closed, stating it got 6 months or so left. Wurm v2.01 released, that from that day would get all the updates and improvements only. 4 servers EVER to be created much like epic. 3 home kingdom's servers for pve/limited pvp and middle server like chaos - no restriction PVP. Skill gain and timers stay like old epic. Done. 

24 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

Totally agree with this part of yours. Wurm beta v1.151 should be discontinued fully and closed, stating it got 6 months or so left. Wurm v2.01 released, that from that day would get all the updates and improvements only. 4 servers EVER to be created much like epic. 3 home kingdom's servers for pve/limited pvp and middle server like chaos - no restriction PVP. Skill gain and timers stay like old epic. Done. 

bro calm down here, we might actually agree on something

You wipe epic, boot all players, reset all servers and you might as well just remove it entirely.

You talk as if the reason we don't have many players here is due to the high skilled few that are left. I assure you that's not the issue. When new players show up here we are as friendly as we can be to assist them and hope they stay. 

This "skill transfer" was 4 years ago, some of us came here after that. 

1 hour ago, GroeneAppel said:

. The end result is still the same, Epic gets a full reset.

Things simply got stale and the skillgap got far too large. All those changes tacked on later just made it worse.

Just resetting items + map on Epic will do nothing. Those high end accounts will just pump out 90ql tools in the first week and dominate the actual newbies, is that what you really want?

Wasnt this the concept of NFI? everyone start on the same level?   within 2 months we had weapons smiths making 70+ql weapons.  3 months 90ql....   then a few were banned for macroing, shocking right.  That sound fair? or maybe players know how to cheat and did so becoming the new ruling class on the servers.

You bring your skills to epic, so why does removing the folks here make anything more fair? and who needs a new server, we are already spread thin enough.  

What we need are changes that ALOT of people agree with and this is the place to test these ideas.  NOT the home servers but Elevation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, platinumteef said:

bro calm down here, we might actually agree on something

I am calm lol. And i meant it. To be fair probably the best idea anyways. Scrap the current servers all together and start fresh. Don't do same mistakes again and might build up something. No ancient accounts, no transferred owner accounts, no hoarded rare materials or gear. Can even put back all the content like meditation, tomes etc. Just they would never pull that plug lol

• Like 1

This "reset idea" is prolly the most stupid thing I read in this thread, and I wonder that Skatyna agrees, who has read the prolly brightest statement in this thread, namely

because those were the ideas of so called 'PVPers', what THEY think would make pvp more appealing to public. No one ever listened what non/semi-pvpers had to say why they dont go pvp and when some odd one did suggest something what he felt would make him get involved, he soon was shut down by the same few "PeVePe" community members. So you have what you have - the same 15 ppl to pvp with/against. 

And now a "full reset" lol "idea" .. really bright. Gimme a break. 

What I can tell, what makes Epic attractive to me is its history, to be found in all remaining buildings, roads, canals, tarwalls .. Elevation is just battleground, no real loss to reset it. I somewhat understand Gunnbjorn's point about the shortened timers, but I also see that they make skill retransfer hard. And without that I fail to see much fresh blood on Epic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

And now a "full reset" lol "idea" .. really bright. Gimme a break. 

Full reset of all Wurm, Ekcin, including freedom, not Epic alone. Way too many servers with way too many issues and ancient accounts.  Instead Wurm II gets 4 fresh servers and that it. Assuming they do not spawn 50 more due to "massive boost of players" and screw things up again.. But as i said that would never happen. Tho they could easily upgrade the game engine and just say "look, the new engine doesn't support old data systems, gg"

Edited by Skatyna
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

Full reset of all Wurm, Ekcin, including freedom, not Epic alone. Way too many servers with way too many issues and ancient accounts.  Instead Wurm II gets 4 fresh servers and that it. Assuming they do not spawn 50 more due to "massive boost of players" and screw things up again.. But as i said that would never happen.

Ok 😎. Also far too many old players ofc. Would solve it all.

Who's going to play if devs reset every server?

- It's a free ticket to sklopoloposhmopowopolishj(know the name but it doesn't matter and you get the point), that or whatever other wu server with 10+ people will suddenly get super rich on players and donations, while ccab closes doors in 1 to few months due loss of trust. Why do you think freedomers didn't move to NFI? They have stuff on SFI.. creatures/items/skills - wipe that.. see what happens - the gates are open.. for new games or wurm with more reliable service, all you expect is to have something to return to, the other thing that wurm have done well is the world persistence as long you maintain it.. with activity and/or upkeep, even if you aren't active you can still hold your things as long you pay the rent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gunnbjorn said:

You wipe epic, boot all players, reset all servers and you might as well just remove it entirely.

You talk as if the reason we don't have many players here is due to the high skilled few that are left. I assure you that's not the issue. When new players show up here we are as friendly as we can be to assist them and hope they stay. 

This "skill transfer" was 4 years ago, some of us came here after that. 

Wasnt this the concept of NFI? everyone start on the same level?   within 2 months we had weapons smiths making 70+ql weapons.  3 months 90ql....   then a few were banned for macroing, shocking right.  That sound fair? or maybe players know how to cheat and did so becoming the new ruling class on the servers.

You bring your skills to epic, so why does removing the folks here make anything more fair? and who needs a new server, we are already spread thin enough.  

What we need are changes that ALOT of people agree with and this is the place to test these ideas.  NOT the home servers but Elevation.

Removing Epic entirely would be my alternative.

You are right of course with the pop being spread thin as it is. Nevertheless splitting north and south was a good idea as it gave everyone a fresh start.

Yes people rushed to high skill levels as soon as they could and i'm sure some cheated. We've entered an age where people have mastered the know-how on how to skill up, especially with the WU codebase giving out any secret that might have been. Of course some hardcore players abused the initial rush to made hunderds of silvers selling the first few horses and high QL tools. That is all part of having a "mature" playerbase.

However the load of newbies that didn't quit after the pisspoor early performance, all those newbies got the chance to experience the initial landrush. They got to explore actual lands not half flattened or littered with junk. They didn't get showered with cheap tools discouraging from smithing it themselves. A fresh start for the NFI and keeping it seperated from the southern isles was the best idea ever. The few that do complain about that are all part of the original playerbase that have extremely high skills and gear. Even there most were perfectly happy to start over and fresh in a new community.

The same needs to happen for Epic, and this time a reset should properly be done after a while. Just as was intended for Epic from the start. Sure people will cheat and macro, sure some people will rush to high skill levels. However the intial rush will attract a lot of people and will provide loads of fun and intense playtime. Overall the experience will be a blast. Letting people keep their high skill levels will ruin that much quicker. I'm sorry if you have a toon with stats or decided to join late, but it's just not going to work out for you. 

One last note: Cheating is a whole different problem, bringing it up as an excuse against a server wipe is a very poor argument. It's also a completely different subject. Cheating absolutely has been a massive problem on Defiance and NFI, and really needs adressing. Wurm's anti-cheat is sadly non-existant or at least extremely easy to bypass. Sadly considering the changes Defiance brought and the updates it got, I very much doubt this will change in the near-future.