Sign in to follow this  
LumpyGravy

Join the Freedom Isles - Is it time?

The servers are dying.. we need better trade..... time to let old friends who left return and new adventures to begin! What is the general consensus of having all the freedom isles linked now?

Edited by LumpyGravy
  • Like 6

If it does happen, I bet most old players who play on NFI will revert back to their toons from the SFI.

If there are no plans for attracting and retaining new players, I’d say merging is a not a bad idea if things continue as it is.

• Like 2

Define trade. Been healthy on both sides as far as I can see 

SFI trade channel is pretty dead past few weeks. Granted I loging late euro time and sometimes in the weekends too but I see few offers compared to what we had a year ago.

I heard SFI had no trade any longer couse people could get high ql items for free now days 

• Like 1

Market shouldn't really be the main reason a merge shouldn't happen. As others have pointed out the market in wurm should just be "another mechanic" and not the main attraction or reason to play the game.

If you want an example on what happens to servers that aren't linked to the core population of Wurm, look at what happened to Epic when it was kept apart from the main playerbase. It died off. There's enough precedent that shows what happens when you isolate a cluster from the rest of the playerbase. Do we need another?

• Like 2

I don't feel like trade is all that a relevant factor for linking (though I don't care much for trade so that could simply be bias speaking). What I do feel is relevant is that the player counts on both clusters are getting quite low now, once a community becomes too small you'll get a feedback loop of people leaving due to a lack of community interaction and it feeling like there is nobody else playing the game. The servers really should be merged before hitting that point, assuming we aren't there already. Besides that there's also the advantage of having more to explore, of being able to meet new people, etc.

With the current state of the servers I can't really think of a good reason not to merge them, especially now that enough time has passed that new players on the north cluster can already have competitive crafting skills for those interested in trade. Looking at the suggestions forum even Defiance is having player count issues, so said merger would be good for PvP as well even if it might introduce certain ancient, overpowered, accounts to Defiance.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 5

Yes, pls merge them, the gape when it comes to trade is closing in anyway, so dont see any reason to keep them seperate.

Its time for the community to joine forces against the danger lurking in the World of Wurm

• Like 2

I am playing on Xanadu quite a lot, and it is simply not true that trade channel is dead. May trade chat had 4780 entries in my log, June 1-10 1747 entries. Given that I am logged (though afk quite some time) 8-12hrs per day this accounts for 10-12 entries per hour, of course clustered in the peak time when Trade is in constant flood. But rumour mongering seems to be fun.

Personally I am all for a merge this year, bringing some relief to overpriced NFI market. Also it would be fun to interact more with players I met in chat and forums only so far. Not that I would need it. Scale and drake prices, for mats and sets alike, would ofc sharply rise. So what.

• Like 3

Yeah if I need to buy anything on trade I can easily and quickly, except supremes.

Additionally,the trade section of the forums has a lot of ongoing posts, auctions, and sales. 

This is rather like asking "priests, should we de-alt them?".  No matter what you say, the devs have their own plans...

• Like 1

Steam launch anniversary date for merger would be a good date and advertising for it on both platforms 

• Like 4

If it happens, RIP all our NFI characters and items... well I guess I could combine them to solo a dragon

The population will naturally peak and decay in cycles as part of the regular development process, this is normal.  Merging the clusters would likely give another good peak, but possibly not quite on the scale of brand new servers.

I think the clusters must merge at some point, I think they need to do so before thinking about adding any new servers way down the line and I do anticipate that this will eventually happen, inappropriate as it might seem currently.  Whether now is the right time to do a north-south merge, though, is entirely up to the devs.

I agree with @validate- I think if such a merger was to happen, it would be wise to plan it carefully and make sure it is well publicised on steam and in the news, with emails going out to dormant players.  It should not come as a surprise, as an afterthought or any population regenerating effect will be wasted.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 3