Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

An Inquiry to the Dev Team

Is there any plan to open the border between North and South?  If so, is it possible to tell the community when this might happen?

• Like 6

With the significantly decreasing population growth on the NFI, I don’t see why merging NFI and SFI would be a bad thing. We are averaging about 400 players and alts included on all NFI servers at peak hour on Niarja.

Unless there is some plan to advertise and entice new players to come to Wurm Online to increase the population five fold like in the beginning of the steam launch, merging the NFI and SFI could be one of the best courses of action to take to keep the current populations somewhat connected.

• Like 6

Servers proved to be unable to handle many players.. there should be some major change to be able to handle a new wave of actual people and alts doing stuff all over the place, unless somebody thinks otherwise.. that nfi-ers had fun time with the server lag and other issues for month/s with steam release..

The NFI servers have proven able to handle decent amounts of players. Granted, the 2000+ players on a single server in the beginning prove to be too much load, and 300+ player events tend to be somewhat  laggy on both clusters, though that seems to have improved somewhat. So no reason to make drama,.

As to cluster opening, I doubt it will attract a new rush as caused by the steam release if any new attention in a wider audience. I would like the problem of the high churn rate to be addressed in better ways. And about the opening proper, I would expect it to happen in the future, may be months, maybe a full year away.

I would like it to happen step wise, maybe first opening a joint area like Jackal, or allowing NFIers to Epic.

4 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I would like it to happen step wise, maybe first opening a joint area like Jackal, or allowing NFIers to Epic.

Wait...NFIers can't make a portal to transfer skills to Epic similar to SFI?

Edited by elentari

26 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

The NFI servers have proven able to handle decent amounts of players. Granted, the 2000+ players on a single server in the beginning prove to be too much load, and 300+ player events tend to be somewhat  laggy on both clusters, though that seems to have improved somewhat. So no reason to make drama,.

As to cluster opening, I doubt it will attract a new rush as caused by the steam release if any new attention in a wider audience. I would like the problem of the high churn rate to be addressed in better ways. And about the opening proper, I would expect it to happen in the future, may be months, maybe a full year away.

I did not see 2k on 1 server.. but ok.. I am ok with the world you live in..

as for 300 players.. we still choke to death a server with under 200 people on same server.. doing rifts or "slaying" event.. no idea where you look for numbers..

not making dramas.. just pointing at things needing improvement for healthy growth

24 minutes ago, elentari said:

Wait...NFIers can't make a portal to transfer skills to Epic similar to SFI?

no.. epic is off limits for nfi-ers, why do you think there are no new kids on epic, also this have been mentioned on several nfi-related threads, you've skipped reading a lot of the news in the past nearly a year soon.. since steam release, unsure if before the release there was a word about such crossing; that is not surprising though, nfi-sfi is not possible.. epic is part of the old sfi.. in a way with the portal system.. and the portals on nfi lead to their pvp server

Tbh I haven't been keeping up with NFI threads since I decided not to play there, couldn't bring myself to start over from zero. But I didn't realise Epic was basically taken off the list from the get go. This is sad. Almost like an admission that "we don't want anyone to play there", despite being open servers with a lot of room for everyone, live uniques, lots of history, etc.

26 minutes ago, elentari said:

Tbh I haven't been keeping up with NFI threads since I decided not to play there, couldn't bring myself to start over from zero. But I didn't realise Epic was basically taken off the list from the get go. This is sad. Almost like an admission that "we don't want anyone to play there", despite being open servers with a lot of room for everyone, live uniques, lots of history, etc.

epic is a ###### show with terrible mechanics on the main pvp server that will never get removed

Eyesgood, From what I understood back when the Steam launch happened, it was the hope of the dev team to eventually make SFI and NFI connected for travel. They were also pretty strong in saying that if it ever happened it would be quite a ways off, as they wanted to give the NFI player base and economy a chance to become strongly established. Who knows though when or if it will actually happen. The rollout then and the state of things now don't look too encouraging.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

I did not see 2k on 1 server.. but ok.. I am ok with the world you live in..

It is well known that you ignore or deny anything you do not want to see (e.g. in your spats with OR), and get snarky when pointed to.

I "look for my numbers" e.g. in $HOME/wurm/players/ekcin/logs/_Event.2020-07.txt , where I read under 26-07-2020:

[21:51:32] 29 other players are online. You are on Pristine (2496 totally in Wurm).

I fact, I did not store screenshots of jenn001 mrtg, where I indeed saw over 2k players on harmony more often before melody and cadence started, up to 2500+ at times iirc. So feel free to continue denying.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

as for 300 players.. we still choke to death a server with under 200 people on same server.. doing rifts or "slaying" event.. no idea where you look for numbers..

not making dramas.. just pointing at things needing improvement for healthy growth

At the first LVA public dragon slaying (black dragon) end of 2018, we had over 600 players on Xanadu, without dramatic lag. During the second one in 2020 (red dragon) there were over 400, also with no extraordinary lag. During Stanlee's events on Release, there were regularly over 300 logins, and they were only sometimes laggy, especially when the login server suffered problems.

Granted, if Wurm would have to face more than 1000 participants at a time on single servers, or mass events like rifts with significantly over 150 fighters, additional measures to improve server performance would be an issue. You ignore that a lot already has been done in that direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MordosKull said:

Eyesgood, From what I understood back when the Steam launch happened, it was the hope of the dev team to eventually make SFI and NFI connected for travel. They were also pretty strong in saying that if it ever happened it would be quite a ways off, as they wanted to give the NFI player base and economy a chance to become strongly established. Who knows though when or if it will actually happen. The rollout then and the state of things now don't look too encouraging.

Yes, I remember that.  I personally think NFI has had enough time to establish itself.  There are many good reasons to connect.  NFI players may want to go to SFI to explore the rich history of the lands.  NFI players may also want to try their hand at Epic.  Both sides may want to cross-explore or even relocate.  Having disconnected worlds with so few population contributes to stagnation both socially and economically.  But I also think many of those who remain on NFI are actually just SFI alts.  In my opinion, dangling new worlds in front of Wurmians has never been a long-term success.  It is always a short-term solution to a larger issue, I think.  I just wish the devs would share their thoughts on the subject and give us some legitimate estimate on when such an event might occur.

• Like 6

I can see arguments for and against merge. Luckally I am not in charge of that decision. And instead of using this post to raise my opinion about if / when it should happen, I instead give a +1 for what I believe is the OP intention. Asking the devs what they think, and maybe some indications about timeframe.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eyesgood said:

I just wish the devs would share their thoughts on the subject and give us some legitimate estimate on when such an event might occur.

The thing is, "thoughts on the subject" become "the devs said" 

It's not a yes/no answer, and it impacts more than just a single players game. 

You're not going to get an answer because the only answer that can be given is "not sure" 

As for a time frame, that's just not possible to give, for the above reason. 

Tl;Dr 

Don't expect an answer because you're asking for definitive responses when that's just not possible

• Like 3

So there's no big data and no observation and no planning of events, there's just waking up one day with the thought "hey it's time for this to happen, lets go!"😁

One way to do it.. hopefully not the actual model and thought process for merging

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnn said:

So there's no big data and no observation and no planning of events, there's just waking up one day with the thought "hey it's time for this to happen, lets go!"😁

One way to do it.. hopefully not the actual model and thought process for merging

I am not sure what thread you were reading, but you commented here. 

There's no way you could infer that from anything I said, so I suggest you go make this post on the right thread. 

What are the benefits of a merge?

I have touched on the economic detriment before, but separate from that, anyone with redundant character types will prem only one of them. (IE priest on new and old server)

5 minutes ago, Archaed said:

I am not sure what thread you were reading, but you commented here. 

There's no way you could infer that from anything I said, so I suggest you go make this post on the right thread. 

I did.. it just fits the reply above claiming there's no strategy for future actions; it's a coin flip on a whim, rng with no mentioned event to trigger action, just UNCERTAINTY 

2 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I did.. it just fits the reply above claiming there's no strategy for future actions; it's a coin flip on a whim, rng with no mentioned event to trigger action, just UNCERTAINTY 

That's not what I said at all. What I said is that it's a bigger picture than an individual person's needs and does not just flow neatly on a time frame. 

I understand you do have a chip on your shoulder in regards to the dev team, but please do not put words in my mouth to drive that agenda. 

6 minutes ago, Archaed said:

That's not what I said at all. What I said is that it's a bigger picture than an individual person's needs and does not just flow neatly on a time frame. 

I understand you do have a chip on your shoulder in regards to the dev team, but please do not put words in my mouth to drive that agenda. 

There's no bigger picture... there are few people who abused sleep bonus, priest links and no fatigue at the start of the new cluster and now rule the market, some even quit being bored from their socks and no use for the generated coin mountains.

Do I care for the merge .. I don't, but is there a bigger picture.. no.. there are few people who sell services there and have grinded to their level in a questionable way.. for skills and enchanting to sell..(guess what, most as the same on nfi and sfi) 

Who loses from a merge, a few people, who wins from it? Pretty much anyone with their rusty supreme/fantastic junk on old cluster, some coins will be spilled left and right.. as to will some of the people who moved to nfi .. return to sfi deeds.. it's questionable, will some sfi-ers move to play with nfi-ers.. maybe, does it matter much? (to me.. not at all)

Have anyone given a thought about it? So far not in the open afaik.

So, what's to consider?

chips.. you're delusional mah dood, if you imagine I have time to plan #### like that. It's a game, on forums I comment on events and updates and what people talk about or the problems we have everyday, past that.. do you see me making lists of things needing a change and gathering 'followers' for w/e hive thinking and actions? I don't.

in the post you literally said 'there's bigger picture', it's NOT POSSIBLE TO ANSWER.. but it is possible.. and he's asking that in plain simple text.. can't be made any more clearer and simpler.. for some update with a year old matter.

It is fruitless to open spats. Though not being a mouthpiece of the team and the company anymore, I trust that Archaed (Retrograde) is sufficiently informed to give the answer he gave.

It just tells that the situation is observed, and possible future measures and events are being mulled. That means, no publishable time frame much less date at the moment, no "yes, certainly" nor "no, never".

The phrase "it impacts more than just a single players game" is interesting. It may be interpreted in several ways. One, the trivial one, is that a merge impacts virtually all active players on both clusters, and may cause reactions such as rage quits, so that the hippocratian principle "primum nil nocere" applies. It means that the devs and the company may conclude but haven't yet than the merge should be done, and will set a date after the decision.

It could also be that such a merge is seen as a chance to attract attention from a wider audience outside WO if handled accordingly, e.g. by a series of events finally ending in the merge. Such would have to be planned, tested (hopefully, erm 😎 ), then announced and implemented. If so, the steps towards a merge would be in planning and preparation, and any premature indiscretion about might rather harm than help.

I vote NO on this, this has happened before, you think the steam launch was the first time they released and blocked off servers from others ones? Nope, and when  they did , guess what?  did 0 but spread the pop so far thing, that there is too many maps as it stands,  people quit due to distances to reach other and the economy vanished when that happened on those new ones.  Remember connecting them floods players chars whos got 11 years+ ingame, mines one of them, i say NO to these, leave them seperated forever.   Instead find ways to get the population back, also no map can handle 2k players,  steam launch reached 1300 and it too weeks to fix.   Over all in wurm has surpassed well over 2k lots of times, but never stays that way.  Merging will Kill the current population, Look at the old maps, exodus used to have 200+ years of new mapps added and its lucky to see 20-30 on during the day and has 0 on at night.  i have been there, i have seen it, ITS NOT WORTH IT!.   want to be on the old maps, go make a character on it. keepem seperate.

I hope they never get merged and NFI would serve as an example and reminder of what if

• Like 1