Sign in to follow this  
Ogare

Hay tile study

Could someone who is familiar with statistics design a data collection format intended to find out all the particulars about hay tiles? If we had lots of players submitting thorough standardized data I bet we could learn useful things.

Not enough data for statistics here.

Basic facts as observed:

• Status are wet - damp - drying - halfways dried - almost dried - dried, each of them with an intermediate <status>, untedded.
  • Each step seems to take about 1 RL day, but may differ with seasons and amount of rainfall.
  • Failures may occur turning the tile into (?) dirt, else revert to grass, cut short in the end.
  • Rain cannot be seen on new UI, modern renderer with advanced graphic controllers so far.
  • Harvest amount seems to vary between 38 and 44 hay here (gardening 75.85, farming 92.53), ql 93.20 to 93.79 .
  • Tedding device is rare pitchfork ql 75.88, no enchants, cutting device iron scythe ql71.73 CoC93 WoA 85, with bronze rune of Libila.
  • Like 1

Not really sure what you want as far as data is concerned.  Might be useful if you clarify that part.  That said, the only anecdotal observation I can add to Ekcin is that tedding an untedded tile increasing the estimated yield of hay from the tile.  With 77.60 farming skill this seems to follow a pattern.  

Before Tedding Yield  -> After Tedding Yield

15 -> 17

17 -> 18

18 -> 20

20 -> 21

21 -> 23

23 -> 25

So not exactly an increase of 1, probably some rounding going on in the background.  Admittedly I stopped checking all tiles after a little over a week but this mechanic never deviates from this pattern for my toon.  I also noticed that when harvesting early for mixed grass I usually get the exact number it estimates, if I harvest the hay tile while dry it seems to be a random amount of hay that is often higher than the estimated yield.

• Like 1

Bit additional information: The warmer and dryer season now (early to mid summer) has much accelerated the drying of the hay, it is now done within 1 to <2 days. So also less tedding, and my yield has dropped from 38 to 44 before to 31 to 35 now. The faster drying overcompensates that effect. Btw., I did not encounter failures anymore except one some days ago, and tiles revert to grass properly then (was also mentioned in a patch note).

Regrowth of grass from cut short grass to "growing wild" seems to take about a week RL, maybe bit more. This limits the possible harvests per Wurm year, 3-4 harvests per tile and Wurm year should be feasible though (yet to check, also what about hay in winter).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Regrowth of grass from cut short grass to "growing wild"

We can make a cut grass tile with medium height grass. I"d guess yield is less for that. I need to get to 60 farming so I can test that tho.

Need more testing but I've noticed somethings. 

• Medium height, tall grass and wild don't seem to effect yield at all.  Needs to be at least medium to turn into drying tile and they all seem to give same yield.
  • Pitchfork gives better yield when harvesting.  If examine says yields 20 hay on a dried tile you will get 20 hay if you activate anything but a pitchfork.  With a pitchfork activated you get a random amount above that number.
  • Like 1

Thanks to Proseedda for those infos. To add some data from my observations: Harvesting without pitchfork activated: 30-36 hay per tile, with pitchfork activated (it is a rare pitchfork, whether or not that may influence the yield) it is 40-50 hay per tile. I tried bronze rune of Libila on the pitchfork, but that one has no effect (scythe to cut the hay is runed, also not sure whether it has effect for getting the amount of hay to dry which is 36 to 39 on examine).

• Like 1