Sign in to follow this  
Blacklotus

Brewing and Beverage affinities

TommyG this was my first point of thought too that the ingredients would determine the end affinity, however all alcohol types are already determined on their affinity based on one of two factors once fermented and distilled. The first one: "Is the beverage fermented, but not distilled", if so the final affinity is based on the woodscrap used to seal the barrel and the kind of alcohol being produced. The second fact is: "is the beverage distilled?" If the answer is yes, it's determined by the still and has a set affinity for each kind.

There are 20 kinds of woodscrap you can use, 25 in total with 5 being fruit woodscrap and those make vinegar so they're not included.

The rarity of the barrel and rarity of ingredients did not matter for final affinity, the type of the barrel or sealing it with a peg before using the woodscrap did not affect the affinity of the final product.

This is the link to my affinity spreadsheet I made every kind of alcohol i could, tasted everything and found the pattern for them.

Affinity Spreadsheet

Using the formula from icbash's doc you can calculate which affinity each one will give you based on some basics.

The meal I use is oven, frying pan, whole bear, whole corn and I get tracking.

Icbash's Madness

The different kinds of beer you can make i did find only happen from the original 15 kinds of woodscrap, the rare archeology woodtypes don't create anything special which is a shame.

Also, the only worts that produce specially named ones that i found were wort with hops, and wort.

I did make beer using riftwood, you can see the results of those as well.

15 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

Affinity Spreadsheet

Have you tried rare + stills, each level of rarity shifts affinity by 1,  can cover some of your missing affinities but again not all, not sure if it works if you have fix affinity checked though.

Really like your spreadsheet, was wanting to make one for myself for long time but was too lazy.

And yeah I agree, getting affinities from beverages sucks unless you go with unfermented moonshine, which is  not very immersive, but wouldn't like to have that fixed without offering mechanic with simmilar diversity and power tbh cuz moonshine works great

Wauw I love your spreadsheet already! Nice work I must say! I didn't even think about arch-woodscraps haha, but now I do :)

I'm working on the wort with hops thing and as soon as I can afford a rare still I'm gonna try to buy one, as this must also have effect on the endresult I imagine.

But I made a spreadsheet myself with most of the alcoholic drinks and the affinities I tasted and figured out a way to calculate it for some friends around me, but still missing the data for hops I'm afread.

There must be a way to get all affinities with alcoholic drinks, looking forward to some more research on this!

Does aging affect anything in this matter or is it just a fancy touch to the taste of the beverage? Still have to try that part...

On 11/10/2021 at 3:45 AM, kochinac said:

Have you tried rare + stills, each level of rarity shifts affinity by 1,  can cover some of your missing affinities but again not all, not sure if it works if you have fix affinity checked though.

Really like your spreadsheet, was wanting to make one for myself for long time but was too lazy.

And yeah I agree, getting affinities from beverages sucks unless you go with unfermented moonshine, which is  not very immersive, but wouldn't like to have that fixed without offering mechanic with simmilar diversity and power tbh cuz moonshine works great

Aye, yes I have a rare still and I know the shift of +1 would cover 2-3 of the missing affinities, however my premis for this research was that all affinities should accessible through means that most of the population can achieve. It shouldn't rely on a rare still or unfermented beverages to fix gaps since the unfermented shouldn't even be drinkable.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, TommyG said:

Wauw I love your spreadsheet already! Nice work I must say! I didn't even think about arch-woodscraps haha, but now I do :)

I'm working on the wort with hops thing and as soon as I can afford a rare still I'm gonna try to buy one, as this must also have effect on the endresult I imagine.

But I made a spreadsheet myself with most of the alcoholic drinks and the affinities I tasted and figured out a way to calculate it for some friends around me, but still missing the data for hops I'm afread.

There must be a way to get all affinities with alcoholic drinks, looking forward to some more research on this!

Does aging affect anything in this matter or is it just a fancy touch to the taste of the beverage? Still have to try that part...

Thanks, it took me about 6 months to do this research. Maybe this will help with some understanding: Ingredient numbers spreadsheet <- this one wasn't made by me but i got sent it by somebody else after most of my research had already been done. to find hops, just get the numbers for everything else on the list of ingredients, and find what the affinity is and the missing number between is hops.

as a note, water is +6 and saltwater is +16

Edited by Blacklotus

16 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

Thanks, it took me about 6 months to do this research. Maybe this will help with some understanding: Ingredient numbers spreadsheet <- this one wasn't made by me but i got sent it by somebody else after most of my research had already been done. to find hops, just get the numbers for everything else on the list of ingredients, and find what the affinity is and the missing number between is hops.

6 months, wauw respect! I can only imagine it took a lot wine barrels...

I don't have access to that speadsheet, but I'll figure it out I think.

Updated the link to that spreadsheet. I'll be honest beverages wasn't an easy journey for me. I've made a few hundred wine barrels by now and sold about as many. Just keep plugging away and you'll get there :)

Edited by Blacklotus
  • Like 1

I love making those drinks in this game, its makes the game so much more interesting and fun :D

It just takes a bit of effort to find out how it works...

Edited by TommyG