Sign in to follow this  
Blacklotus

Brewing and Beverage affinities

Hi, looking for information about brewing and beverage making for affinities. I know there’s a lot accounting for meals but would love to get my hands on info on making affinity booze and teas.

Let me start off with the things I know:

Aging Wine and Alcohol:

Oak barrels give a small boost to aging distilled alcohol and wine.

Being on deed, underground inside a building gives a major boost to aging distilled alcohol and wine.

Changes to end Affinity:

Rare stills add +1 to the affinity of alcohol made inside them.

Green grape juice adds +13 to a recipe for affinites.

Salty Water adds +16 where as water adds +6 for affinities

Pre-fermentation Alcohol affinities follow normal cooking rules for affinities

When adding ingredients the amount of water doesn't change the affinity but each other ingredient extra does.

When filling a container with several different batches of gin, It always takes the affinity of whatever was inside the container first. I assume it works this way for all drinks but have not tested beyond alcohol.

Rare barrels do not affect fermentation end affinity.

Beers, ales and the like have a set affinity each one gives.

Edited by Blacklotus

How much information do you want? I'm not sure if you want to say figure out and discover affinities or you'd rather someone give your list.

1. Unfermented moonshine is the best beverage for affinity timers and ccfp.

2. herb tea and tea are the second best but its a lot less advantageous compared to first.

All the rest of the beverages have horrible ingredient variety which means you can't make many affinities from them.

• Like 1

Ogare, Thanks for the information. Honestly I believe it's possible to hit all affinities between the different kinds of alcohol due to finding a post buried within the forums about one person selling targeted affinity drinks and I am prone to believe it's possible, I just lack a certain amount of information regarding a few important factors like how does the fermentation process change the affinity and same for cooking it in the still. I have several kinds of alcohol that are the same named but different affinities and even with the rare still if it works like normal cooking it shouldn't be possible to get that kind of range so there has to be a missed factor. I am still learning the different recipes for tea limited knowledge there.

Edited by Blacklotus

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to say you can't get all affinities by making lots of different beverages. I just think it's better if you can get all of them from one recipe. And this is how I critiqued unfermented moonshine and herb tea.

* stills of rarity will mix up affinity

* Barrels of rarity do not mix up affinity (correct me if I'm wrong there) for those you don't distill (beer, cider,...)

* wood scrap type will mix up affinities for beverages you don't distill.

* try using salt water and normal water

I'm interested in hearing if you see more then 4 variations from rarity (common, rare, supreme, fantastic )  from stills for all distilled drinks. I believe the fruit gins are named after the fruit, example apple gin. plain and salt water are one guess.

18 minutes ago, Blacklotus said:

few important factors like how does the fermentation process change the affinity and same for cooking it in the still

In summary, affinity is based on the stuff you see inside the cooker. All the prep work done to make the stuff that goes in the boiler or wine barrel (for non-distilled) doesn't affect affinity varriety.  This why unfermented moonshine is so good and moonshine is not. unfermented moonshine resulted from a whole bunch of different stuff in a cauldron where as moonshine results from a single item (undistilled moonshine) in the boiler. note that prep work does make ccfp and affinity timers better (more complexity)

15 minutes ago, Ogare said:

In summary, affinity is based on the stuff you see inside the cooker. All the prep work done to make the stuff that goes in the boiler or wine barrel (for non-distilled) doesn't affect affinity varriety.  This why unfermented moonshine is so good and moonshine is not. unfermented moonshine resulted from a whole bunch of different stuff in a cauldron where as moonshine results from a single item (undistilled moonshine) in the boiler. note that prep work does make ccfp and affinity timers better (more complexity)

The only issue I have with this is that I have Gin that was made by somebody else, and gives milking affinity, and my gin gives leatherworking affinity. When I examined how far off these two affinites were I found an issue because, originally i thought maybe it was made in a supreme still so it'd only be 1-2 off. It's 72 difference between the affinites. So I checked and made sure one wasn't fruit gin or berry gin but they're both the same. I am just lost for how this could be possible.

I tried to find an answer and didn't come up with anything solid. It doesn't help that I don't bother with distilled things. The steps I followed below are the same I do with breakfast, salad, and herb tea. And these steps let me figure out the affinities without making anything.

Milking, 116
Leatherworking, 52

modulo math multiple possibilities.
going from 52 to 116: 116 - 52 = 64
going from 116 back around to 52: 52 + (138 - 116) = 74

UNDISTILLED flag is this 0B0100 0000 which is 64. But I have no idea how someone could make gin from something that doesn't have the undistilled flag as it's mandatory.

gin
toon offset: 0
cooker still template 1178  % 138 = 74
container boiler template 1284 % 138 = 42

undistilled gin ( gin template 1234, material water 26, realtemplate -10, undistilled 64) % 138 = 72

summed and % 138 is 50 without character offset

Edited by Ogare
error in the Gin affinity math

And this is why I believe a factor is missing somewhere because obviously it was done/made somehow and I know everything has been distilled it's in wurm online so there has to be some flag witten internally in how products ferment that changes the affinity. I'm currently running a test of 15 barrels, all the same woodtype all the same batch of alcohol inside split into equal amounts, where the only variable is woodscrap type. My next test I plan to have a barrel of two different types using the same alcohol, and same woodscrap type (depending on my first test) and see if the barrel type makes any flags into the undistilled alcohol. I know it will affect alcohol that ferments only (which i'm also testing in a seperate run) and everything I have found says it should work. There are some 500 different beverages variations and all affinities are obtainable I just can't seem to find any of the math behind beverages only on meals.

Apparently there was a bug with gin when cooking first came out. It was something about how the beverage wasn't updating the cookbook. There is a combination that would explain what your experiencing. Is the gin behavior happening with other things or is it an isolated occurrence? If it's just the Milking affinity gin, then that is likely a legacy item that can't made again.

129 toon
74 still cooker
42 boiler container
8  undistilled gin (gin template 1234 + water material 26 + none real template -10) % 138
116 summed and % 138 + 1

129 toon
74 still cooker
42 boiler container
82  undistilled gin (gin template 1234 + water material 26 + none real template -10 + undistilled -64) % 138
52 summed and % 138 + 1

all right I made gin. 92 is my toon's offset. I've made lots of different things using this and it's never been wrong (no distilled bev, first one I've done here).

First, I made a mistake above with the boiler as container.  Also Un-distilled value is 64, not -64.

Second, I brewed up a second batch almost exactly the same as the first but I used salty water. The end distilled result was the same as fresh water. That is sad news! I had hoped it would add some variation potential for distilled things. I know salty water works with herb tea.

Third, the numbers no longer match up to explain the Milking, 116 and Leatherworking, 52.

92	toon
1178	still (or 74)
0	contianer
72	undistilled gin (gin template 1234 + water material 26 + none real template -10 + undistilled 64) % 138
0	ingredient
0	ingredient
--------------	
101	summed and % 138 + 1
[02:42:21] You think the gin might give you more of an insight about natural substances!

Blacklotus it'd be great if I new your toon's offset so I could verify if this is right. 

43	toon
1178	still (or 74)
0	contianer
72	undistilled gin (gin template 1234 + water material 26 + none real template -10 + undistilled 64) % 138
------------
52 summed and % 138 + 1

Can you tell me how to come by my toons offset? I know tracking is the skill I put into the meal generators for myself if that helps.

Edited by Blacklotus

Wurmfood doesn't give toon offset, I thought it did. For that tracking skill I'm taking a guess that you made this >

a meal made from raw whole bear meat + raw whole corn in a frypan, cooked in oven.

43	toon
40	oven	178 % 138 = 40
75	frypan 
16	bear 	(meat template 92 + bear material 72 +  none real tempalte -10) % 138
44	corn 	(corn template 32 + vegitible material 22 +  none real tempalte -10) % 138
------------------
81 		summed and % 138 + 1. 
81 is Tracking skill.

Also, if you put a whole raw pumpkin in a pottery bowl and cooked it in oven do you get small maul?

I figured out my toon offset by making a simple spreadsheet and plugging numbers in until it was right.  It's possible to solve with modular arithmetic but I don't have those math skills.

Sadly the Milking, 116 and Leatherworking, 52 affinity mystery is still just that. I wish somewhat would explain it.

The scrap of wood you seal a barrel with to ferment will change the affinity. Im wondering if the type of wood for the barrel also does.

4 hours ago, Ogare said:

Also, if you put a whole raw pumpkin in a pottery bowl and cooked it in oven do you get small maul?

Yes, Small Maul. I am assuming 43 would be my affinity number in that case. - this helps a lot in me figuring out the math for each woodscrap.

3 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

The scrap of wood you seal a barrel with to ferment will change the affinity. Im wondering if the type of wood for the barrel also does.

In my brewery I am testing the following: 
Effects the unusual woodscrap types from archeology have on wort
Affinity from each kind of woodscrap minus the known fruit woodscrap as that would make malt vinegar.
Effects of a rare small wine barrel on the fermenting process and end affinity matched to another barrel using the same woodscrap.

Gin variations and their affinities. I have concluded woodscrap type does not affect gin and distilled alcohols, at least that has been my observation.

As far as testing methods, Each barrel has wort all made in the exact same way, the only different is the woodscrap. All barrels are made from oak except for the rare barrel which is cederwood. 

Future planned tests are:
Wort with hops, wort with lots of hops, wort with ginger, wort with sassafrass for woodscrap and affinity.

After apple season, this test will also be carried out to make cider for affinity.

Mead, rice wine, red wine and white wine as well as I can collect necessary supplies.

Testing Barrel types for affinity differences based on if my rare barrel comes back with a different affinity as the control barrel.
Also need to test if the herb used in wort has an effect on end affinity.

My theory is once I've discovered the different affinites associated to each kind of brew and how woodscrap affects the barrels, I am assuming it's a set number, I am also assuming the barrel has some effect on it but that remains to be seen.

Edited by Blacklotus

I have almost completed my research on alcoholic drinks and their known affinities. Currently without the use of a rare or supreme still I can produce all but 28 of the 138 affinities possible with fermented and distilled alcoholic beverages. Using unfermented moonshine I can produce any affinity but for the purpose of our trial, I'm not considering that as an option to fill that gap.

How I obtained this information:

First, I brewed 20 barrels in an identical manner and use only oak barrels. I tested if a barrels type affected the affinity between two parts of the same batch of wort, it did not.

With this information I recorded the affinity number of each type of woodscrap that was non-fruitscrap because that would produce Malt Vinegar and you cannot drink that.

The next step I repeated this test using Wort with hops, and over the course of this trial, I found the same array of numbers just skewed slightly for the different base.

A third time, I repeated this test using Cider. The numbers all aligned the same way, with a skew based on it being cider and not wort, or wort with hops. After I had this array, I brewed one barrel of each type of alcohol I did not have and produced the results of their unique differentiator. Throughout these trials I also attempted to see if the ingredients mattered at all in the final affinity and those test came back as negative.

I tested to see if the size/weight of the woodscrap mattered, it did not.

The only points I could find that changed the end affinity was the base, and the type of woodscrap.

I have one last test running based on the comments of a friend, and I will share those results when I have them.

So I ask, does anyone here, know of any way of changing the affinity of a fermenting barrel aside from changing the base, or changing the woodscrap type?

A note, woodscrap type did not seem to affect distilled alcohols final affinity.

The types of Alcohol I have tried are as follows:
Fermented Only:
Ale (and it's subtypes like pale ale, brown ale etc)
Beer (and it's subtypes)
Triple Hops Beer
Ginger Ale
Root Beer
Cider
Mead

Red Wine

White Wine

Rice Wine

Rift Beer

Distilled:

Whiskey

Vodka

Brandy - (and all it's subtypes for fruit and berry variations)

Gin - (and all it's subtypes for fruit and berry variations)

Rum

Vodka

Moonshine

Edited by Blacklotus

Thinking about it, since the wood scrap generates a modifier. I wonder if the missing mods for the missing affinities are from fruit wood and the vinegars are the missing. Wood scrap affects wine aff correct? Maybe test the modifier value doing that and see if beer with them would have filled the slot if it made beer not vinegar?

I have been considering that as well, there is a lot of spaces that may have been filled in by vinegar (I cannot test it because i can't taste vinegar for an affinity) but unfortunately there's one or two spaces that are just too big to be covered by it.

Edited by Blacklotus

The cooking system wasn't modeled/designed looking at the affinity diversity for various recipes. I doubt Wurm did a extensive combinatorics simulation of all recipes to make sure players had access to all affinities. no, more likely they just added many recipes and hopped for the best. One of the primary goals were to add recipes that matched with real life.

I've run simulations with a python script looking for 138 unique combinations with a specific recipe. This gives all the affinities possible.  I frequently see gaps and have to add or subtract ingredients for subsequent simulations to get all of them. With beverages this is only possible with herb tea and unfermented moonshine.

Yep I just can’t accept that unfermented moonshine is the best affinity source in the game when 1. Beverages is hard to grind and harder still to get decent product considering how long it actually takes to make a drinkable barrel of booze from considering how complex the cooking system actually is. There are so many good possibilities that could have been that just don’t exist and it makes me a sad panda.

edit...ups I used undistilled ingredients in the recipes. It should be distilled moonshine. I also forgot the any vegetable variant. Instead of changing what's below I'll make another post.

I wonder if the 6 recipes in the spoiler would let us make infused booze? I used the wine barrel fermenting process to act as a infusion process. I don't know if these would work right now but someone with a running WU server could add them and test it. These recipes could server as a template to apply the same approach to all the other distilled liquors. I'd argue gin should be redone like these instead of how it currently is.

1. The difficulties for things are just random numbers. I have no idea if that is what they should be.
  2. I'm not sure if I did the result descriptions correct.
  3. The ratio for the mandatory moonshine value probably needs to be more then 0. I'm not sure where it should be so players can still add lots of variations from the "any" category. If the ratio is too large there will be insufficient room in wine barrel.
  4. "Why all that Any stuff?" Because it's important if you want to provided players with affinity potential diversity.
    • Using something like Any herb adds affinity diversity. Where as, specifying  chopped herbs limits affinity diversity.
    • I also added 5 entries to the "any" category. This will give players massive affinity diversity.
  5. If you want to test this, the 6 different recipes need to be put in their own file.
  6. Interesting ... https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=chanterelle+infused+vodka.  I can totally see Black mushroom infused moonshine.

Spoiler

{
    "name":"herb moonshine",
    "recipeid":"",
    "trigger":"time",
    "skill":"beverages",
    "containers":[
      {"id":"wine barrel"}
    ],
    "ingredients":{
      "mandatory":[
        {"id":"any herb"},
        {"id":"moonshine", "pstate":"undistilled", "ratio":0,"loss":0},
        {"id":"wood scrap"}
      ],
      "any":[
        {"id":"any spice","difficulty":2},
        {"id":"any fruit","difficulty":2},
        {"id":"any berry","difficulty":2},
        {"id":"any nut","difficulty":2},
        {"id":"any mushroom","difficulty":2},
      ],
    },
    "result":{
      "id":"moonshine",
      "name":"# moonshine",
      "refrealtemplate":"any herb",
      "difficulty":20,
      "description":"# infused moonshine."
    }
  }

{
    "name":"spice moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any spice"},
      ],
        {"id":"any herb","difficulty":2},
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any spice",
    }
  }

{
    "name":"fruit moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any fruit"},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any fruit",
    }
  }

{
    "name":"berry moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any berry"},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any berry",
    }
  }

{
    "name":"nut moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any nut"},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any nut",
    }
  }

{
    "name":"mushroom moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any mushroom"},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any mushroom",
    }
  }

Edited by Ogare

veg moonshine possibility

Spoiler

{
    "name":"veg moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any veg"},
        {"id":"moonshine", "pstate":"none", "ratio":0, "loss":0},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any veg",
    }
  }

herb moonshine possibility

Spoiler

{
    "name":"herb moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any herb"},
      ],
        {"id":"any veg","difficulty":2},		
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any herb",
    }
  }

spice moonshine possibility

Spoiler

{
    "name":"spice moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any spice"},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any spice",
    }
  }

fruit moonshine possibility

Spoiler

{
    "name":"fruit moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any fruit"},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any fruit",
    }
  }

berry moonshine possibility

Spoiler

{
    "name":"berry moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any berry"},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any berry",
    }
  }

nut moonshine possibility

Spoiler

{
    "name":"nut moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any nut"},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any nut",
    }
  }

mushroom moonshine possibility

Spoiler

{
    "name":"mushroom moonshine",
    ],
        {"id":"any mushroom"},
      ],
      ],
    },
      "refrealtemplate":"any mushroom",
    }
  }

Ahh, logged in to test these infused moonshines missing you were talking about WU not WO. Got my hopes up. Bleh. 

I believe there is a wu server that has a much more robust alcohol system in the end it’s all just numbers I was playing with my spreadsheet last night to see if I modifying just the base numbers a little if I can cover all possible affinities but I am still missing about 9 

This is an interesting topic, as I'm also trying to figure out the alcohol beverage making, but missing some data...

Anyone of you knows the number/ID corresponding with hops? So I can calculate recipes of wort to beer and finally affinities.

I managed to get something working with gin as the affinity difference between unfermented gin and the distilled gin is 89 as the woodscrap type doesn't matter for the end affinity.

oven 40 + cauldron 75 + water 6 + wheat 25 + sugar 47 + strawberry 98 = 291 which eventually gives me the affinity number 16 but after tasting it gave me paving (92) and my player offset is 125, so =mod((291+125);138)+1 = 16 (which is gardening) so add 89 you'll get paving.

Sofar I got this working for 5 gin varieties, but I still have to find the number corresponding with hops and woodscrap-types.

Currently I'm running a test with one type of wort but ferment with 7 types of woodscap which creats 7 types of beer:

cedar woodscrap would create beer

fir woodscrap would create bitter

pine woodscrap would also create bitter

maple woodscrap would create porter

linder woodscrap would also create porter

chestnut woodscrap would create stout

oak woodscrap would also create stout

• Like 1