Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Make it dark at night

Seriously. It doesn't look at all dark. I'm not saying that it needs to be pitch black. It should not be as dark as a cave, because there are never enough clouds to hide the stars and the moons are always full. But it should be dark enough that lights really make a difference. 

• Like 2

You have a settings use it.. Display Brightness  .

• Like 1

It's Wurm-night for an hour at the moment - 8 Wurm hours.
Maybe make upto 2 Wurm hours really dark - 15 minutes RL.

I've been stuck on a cliff climbing, waiting to starve to regain stamina, for longer than that.

-1 It depends on graphics drivers too, and to some extent type of display, how dark the night is. It is very dark already in several configurations, especially when newest OpenGL cannot be used. This is even true when display brightness is at maximum. Making the night darker would turn Wurm unusable for many well an hour, not 15min RL per Wurm day. Those perceiving it too bright may dim display darkness in Wurm and on their monitor.

• Like 2

See, I was just going to say that the lighting and rendering probably needs a real overhaul. It seems that the ambient light level is too high at night, and also that the light sources aren't really illuminating enough. There needs to be more of a difference between areas that are illuminated and areas that aren't.

Now it seems that this isn't even consistent between machines. This sounds like it really desperately needs some real testing and development work.

I've tried turning the brightness down.  It looked alright until I looked at a lamp. It looked like it was illuminating nothing. The problem with the brightness setting is that it's affecting the whole display.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Now it seems that this isn't even consistent between machines. This sounds like it really desperately needs some real testing and development work.

You know how games have "change the slider until you can barely see the logo on the left" kind of thing? That's because that's how it works. 

• Like 2

Back in the days, after the great war, we had a night that made light useful.

+1

(will never come, but hey)

("use your display brightness setting" is bullpoo btw, for it obviously changes the day as well)

Edited by Beewolf
  • Like 4

Actually, night is already fairly dark in a not so small number of configurations. Making it darker will end up in de facto curfews where sailors may have to moor for an hour because it is impossible to make out landmarks etc. , in fact making Wurm slower. Exactly what is needed ..

And no, Sheffie, the blame is not with the devs. Wurm is open to a couple of operating system and hardware configurations. Some are more or less sensitive to OpenGL settings and properties depending on driver architectures. Actually suggesting "drop old notebooks" or "kick Apple" is not a wise choice. The devs are doing the right thing here.

• Like 4

Just make it togglable, like fog. Then people who want darker nights can have them without 'inflicting' it on people whose hardware can't handle it, which seems to be the only real objection.

• Like 4

No, things need to be more illuminated. And their needs to be options so folks can make their experience (client) darker. Help both parties at once.

• Like 2

+1 darker please. But also have a slider to adjust it

• Like 2

I think that what's needed is a slider for ambient light at night, and for overall brightness. That way the people who want a dark night can have one, without dimming their lights or their daylight experience, and those with weird hardware that apparently can't be tested or configured for, will also be able to see.

• Like 1

More dark at night like old days +1

What is astroworld merch?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 1:38 PM, Drayka said:

Just make it togglable, like fog. Then people who want darker nights can have them without 'inflicting' it on people whose hardware can't handle it, which seems to be the only real objection.

Fog can be toggled out?  i must learn .. btw , if i had my way night would last maybe 3 minutes, and there would never be fog, .... just sayin' 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notstupidbobb said:

Fog can be toggled out?  i must learn .. btw , if i had my way night would last maybe 3 minutes, and there would never be fog, .... just sayin' 

I'm not saying fog can be eliminated, just that it can be reduced/increased in its impact.

And I haven't seen fog once in the last 6 months since I started playing again. Maybe you're playing on the wrong server?

Meh -1 on the OP. Nights are dark enough for me. And if you look at the size of the multiple moons we have, then it'd be completely unrealistic to have a darker night as their illumination would actually make nighttime much lighter than it currently is.

Edited by DaletheGood
syntax
  • Like 1