Sign in to follow this  
Sylvanas

Archery

Curious are you guys planning to do something about archery or it just me that suck at it?

don't think there's anything wrong with archery. Some mobs are fine, some just naturally glance everything, like crocks, scorpions.. 

Just now, Skatyna said:

don't think there's anything wrong with archery. Some mobs are fine, some just naturally glance everything, like crocks, scorpions.. 

Yeah that is normal, crocks and scorpions have tough hides. But i was trying to hit a wolf at around ten tiles out with a longbow, 30QL, arrows too and i think the bow string is around 40. So i pop a few arrows at the wolf, one manage to hit it and barely scratch it. Wander off, shot off a few more and again, barely doing any damage. I was having fun in Unlimited while using a bow and arrows at the target, but seem much worst compare to Unlimited setup.

First time playing on Wurm Online, though about giving a shot when i saw it on Steam. But not so sure if i am going to like it, unless i am doing something wrong here.

wolves and hell hounds are questionable archery targets. They run towards you from any distance, even long bow. Only at very good archery skill you may start to shoot them at max distance with long bow, switch to medium, then short bow, and may have spiked them like voodoo dolls once they are near and charging at you while you are equipping your melee weapon/shield.

Spiders are perfect as they do not charge at you even at medium bow distance. I love to kill them on highways where it is easy to find the arrows.

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

wolves and hell hounds are questionable archery targets. They run towards you from any distance, even long bow. Only at very good archery skill you may start to shoot them at max distance with long bow, switch to medium, then short bow, and may have spiked them like voodoo dolls once they are near and charging at you while you are equipping your melee weapon/shield.

Spiders are perfect as they do not charge at you even at medium bow distance. I love to kill them on highways where it is easy to find the arrows.

I did however had a blast in Adventure Mode in Unlimited, but it was a short trip though. Wasnt sure how much difference there is between WO and WU.

I wont be using another bow, maybe a medium, then switch to melee if needed. Short bows are okay, if you got someone tanking for you or if you manage to get on the upper floor or rooftops.

Few told me that not even worth invest in, either it was too much work to do and/or boring idk. But i do know that take alot more efforts making arrows and would taken much longer to kill it instead of using pure melee damage. I do alot of Archery IRL and i loved, that one reason i picked archery and wasnt too impress with it. Hope they improve it at some points, some told me i need to add some enchantments to it to be more effective. Well i didnt have anything like that IRL lol. Pretty easy to take down a small animal, but much bigger beasts is harder, esp a bear. Most def can bring down a wolf though, in most cases, wolf doesnt really travel alone, they form into pack, if you are near their dens or killing grounds.

I too am generally disappointed with archery. I get it, in most games archery is way over powered compared to melee. But personally I would expect archery to be more effective than it is in Wurm because of how much work goes into it. I wouldn't even expect it to be more effect than melee except maybe at higher levels. But, yeah, IRL why would anyone bother with swords if they can get a couple shots in first and maybe take down their few? 

• Like 1

Please do not improve archery, it is strong enough if used propperly. any more damage and it will break the game!

What you want to do is having a good ql bow, good ql string and get your skill upp.

Long bow is usualy your go to, Max range and you can kill trolls etc with ease without them aggro you.

Shortbow in some situations, never medium bow.

Hum... Please allow me to back peddle just a bit. It has been a while for me with the nicer weather and all. Maybe I don't mean "I think archery should do more damage". But I do believe there are many opportunities to improve archery. 

Here is a thread from a few months ago that collected some ideas. 

I don't think you need to break the balance to make archery better.

If there were more misses, but the shots that hit had the potential to do a lot more damage, I think it'd be more realistic and more satisfying.

Edited by Sheffie

29 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I don't think you need to break the balance to make archery better.

If there were more misses, but the shots that hit had the potential to do a lot more damage, I think it'd be more realistic and more satisfying.

Yes becaus more rng is exactly what this game needs ......

2 hours ago, Tedzogh said:

Yes becaus more rng is exactly what this game needs ......

It could go the other way, I suppose. More chanace of hitting, but less variation and lower damage per hit so as not to unbalance it.

penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk penk oh it's dead

On 6/2/2021 at 2:53 PM, bigtree said:

I too am generally disappointed with archery. I get it, in most games archery is way over powered compared to melee. But personally I would expect archery to be more effective than it is in Wurm because of how much work goes into it. I wouldn't even expect it to be more effect than melee except maybe at higher levels. But, yeah, IRL why would anyone bother with swords if they can get a couple shots in first and maybe take down their few? 

Well on the wiki, the more experience you are the better you are. But that mostly to hit the target and didnt mention anything about the critical hits (thats rare or beyond). So for more damage output, would be the QL of the bow and your body strength. In reality, these bows has its limit how much strength can handle without breaking it and the max damage can deliver as well. Regular short bows isnt going deliver that much damage and that is for short range, unless there a god made artifacts in the game. I dont remember reading anything or anyone mention anything like that in the game.

All i can say, keep invest into it, should get better and i am surprised i dont see any crossbows in the game, they can punch through heavy armor plates and short bows cannot.