Sign in to follow this  
Tedzogh

New content?

Can we have a break from implimenting new content to the game untill all the stuff thats broken get fixed?

There is so much broken stuff that needs fixing like hoses in the most resent patch.

Fix whats broken not break what works.

• Like 8

add new thing to break another 5 things

repair 3 things to not add anything

cycle of wurm

Edited by Votip

Fixing bugs helps to ensure an enjoyable and reliable gameplay experience, while adding new content gives players things to look forward to, to try new things with, and helps show that the game is still actively evolving and growing. Both are very important to the longevity and health of the game, and neither is mutually exclusive. It's a bit strange to believe that the devs aren't also working on fixing bugs, particularly a number of the new ones that cropped up. As players, it's our job to help the devs out in this regard, by reporting bugs in a constructive manner in the appropriate sections of the forums, so that the devs can see and better keep track of them, and appropriately prioritize their efforts. 

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/6-maintenance-buildings/ contains the relevant bug reporting areas

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Tedzogh said:

Can we have a break from implimenting new content to the game untill all the stuff thats broken get fixed?

There is so much broken stuff that needs fixing like hoses in the most resent patch.

Even if they did put a stop to all updates and did fix EVERYTHING then when they finally do get around to coming out with new content, that new content could introduce brand new bugs to the game that need to be fixed.    Best to introduce stuff while also fixing stuff.

• Like 1

I do agree that we need a few rounds of big bug fixing. Some things going on a year if not years unfixed.

Edited by Tek
Edited long post to short version

3 minutes ago, Tek said:

That's great to say and all but there are some things that even after a year, or more in some cases, goes unfixed. Even things in the "exploit" level on broken. Though I do agree a game should do both at the same time, with a team this size I don't see that happening. We have what? 2 full time hired staff? Which I think is the larger problem. All that steam launch money and there was 1 contracted dev hired who is training and unknown at this point until they are ready.

I do get the point though both should be happening, question is are they really able to do both at an acceptable pace 

And the clear answer is No, they can't.

Devs, please take a few months and go back over after past updates. Listen to the community or just play with the update yourself and realize the issues, then look to fix them. We go on and on about so much ###### yet nothing is done.

Then, when you've polished some of your past work, look to start something new. Repeat.

New content is great! But the continued pattern with Wurm has been: with what little new content we get, comes even more new jank 

One thing I personally would love to see from the team, though I doubt it will ever happen, is a shift to transparent bug issues. A public tracker using trello or something where people can see reported bugs and see what's being done about them. Or even some updated stickies in the bug sections that aren't years old.

Really think it's time there was some real talk on things like bugs from the team and some accountability. Show us what's bugs, what your plan to fix it is, and for things that can't or won't be fixed see what other solutions the community can come up with. Also things that are "known exploits" that don't get fixed forever and there is no communication on should just be accepted as features. People are using them unpunished but being in the know and being told not to do it and seeing nothing get done about the problem is a huge issue to me. Same with being told that a bug or issue is low priority because few players hit that level and the solution just being to not do that thing as good is just lazy.

Considering how much stuff the Animal Update broke, new content for 2021 will probably be scrapped.

From reports I've read this week the traits are a mess, the NERF to vehicles is the biggest anti-quality-of-life update in the past 4 years of the game (the last one I'd classify as the Freedom>Epic one way skill transfer that killed Epic entirely as many predicted * sad face * ) . 

I've tested vehicle speeds with bred horses and wild horses, fully loaded wagons and carts and the speed nerf is over 25%. Considering carts are slow anyway, a nerf like that is more than insulting considering, ya know...we have HUGE freaking maps in this game. Let's nerf transporation. 

Sorry but new content isn't what's needed, communication (a personality trait that's been requested by the few remaining players for years) , testing and fixing broken stuff is prioritary. 

• Like 4

On 5/31/2021 at 12:37 AM, Tedzogh said:

What Wurm really needs after the last year is far better communication, more open testing (on the public test server) and a better feedback loop, which comes back to communication. The latest update is a good example of that, a lack of communication and testing now has is with what looks like, and quite likely is, a big vehicle speed nerf. Now what do the speeds actually look like with max draft horses/bisons? We don't yet know as we don't have those yet, but what we do have doesn't paint a great picture. This entire mess could have been prevented with proper communication.

If the above isn't fixed and they switch from new content to fixing broken stuff, then what do you expect that will happen? Will they fix things in the way the community expects, or will more stuff just get broken in an attempt to fix it?

So it's not Wurm they need to fix, it's their way of work that needs adjusting.

• Like 2

New content is fine, in fact it's needed in any field of entertainment; but as said here and in other threads, new content in Wurm needs better testing.