Sign in to follow this  
Antony

Does Wurm need a Gold sink?

I'd like to start off by saying this isn't a suggestion, nor is it a discussion about faucets or basins, although basins is a funny word and we most definitely should at some point discuss it.

The tl;dr of this post is; I think we need a gold sink and I'm wondering what you guys think.

Silver has undergone some heavy inflation since RWT became a bannable offence. Supremes that once went for 15s now go for 50-60s.

And while the in-game value of silver has plummet, the real-world cost on the store has stayed the same, meaning a 20 dollar item is now 80 dollars, or something like that.

Will silver become the new copper, and copper become as irrelevant as iron coins?

Remember being a noobie on GV, slaving away for irons and feeling good about it? Or perhaps that was me getting the short end of the stick.

If you're not sure what I mean by gold sink, it's something you can throwaway or drain your money on.

• Gambling is a good active real-world example of a money sink.
  • Bills and rent is a good passive real-world example of a money sink.
  • Deed costs are a good passive in-game gold sink.
  • A wishing well is a good example of an active in-game gold sink, but a terrible in-game gold sink because it does nothing. 

There are plenty of silver sinks in the game already. Price fluctuations are simple supply and demand. Towards the end of RMT, the ingame prices cratered as masses cashed out or headed for the door.

I do think there should be more opportunities to convert items / bulk into something other than money. The mission / karma system and sacrificing are weak examples, but could serve as the scaffolding.  

Question : is this a price from NFI by any chance?

I've not seen any noticeable inflation in SFI.

• Like 1

One easy thing I could think of. Right now there's a monthly skin for mark points, after that you can't get it any more. What if all those skins are added to traders after they leave the Mark store? For example for 5-10 or so silver?

Overall if I purely look at the costs of Bulk goods (stuff I buy a lot) then I don't really see any inflation there, prices are actually still slightly down since before the end of RMT.

Edited by Ecrir

14 hours ago, Antony said:

Gambling is a good active real-world example of a money sink.

straight up not allowed due to swedish law

We don't need silver sinks. 

We need Item sinks since most deeds that disband leave behind a lot of decent ql loot = horse gear enchanted, weps, armor, tools, horses, random assortment of rares, etc.

60%-70% of items created in game to a certain ql level never leave the game. Someone will eventually loot it or find new owners. Issue with items is that since they are not character bound like other mmos, a 91 ql mallet will most likely remain in the game for years to come. I'd like something in game where I can throw my spare items around or items gained from past grinds.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, elentari said:

60%-70% of items created in game to a certain ql level never leave the game. Someone will eventually loot it or find new owners. Issue with items is that since they are not character bound like other mmos, a 91 ql mallet will most likely remain in the game for years to come. I'd like something in game where I can throw my spare items around or items gained from past grinds.  

I remember playing SWG from launch for a few years, and one of the many things they got right was item decay. Like in Wurm, your favourite weapon, armor etc all took damage through use and could be repaired, but each time an item was repaired, its max durability was reduced, leading to it needing to be repaired more and more frequently and eventually it just wasn’t worth repairing anymore and you’d replace it. I think this turnover of gear was pretty essential to making the player economy so strong in SWG. 

In principle, I love that you can craft a mallet your first day in Wurm and years later be a master carpenter using that very same mallet, perhaps having imp’d it rare along the way. But in practice I think item permanency in Wurm really hampers the economy and wonder if something similar to what we had in SWG would’ve been better. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Calan said:

In principle, I love that you can craft a mallet your first day in Wurm and years later be a master carpenter using that very same mallet, perhaps having imp’d it rare along the way. But in practice I think item permanency in Wurm really hampers the economy and wonder if something similar to what we had in SWG would’ve been better. 

Personally I much prefer the system Wurm uses over SWG, but that's also because the crafting in Wurm has way more layers to it. You make an item, you imp the item, you enchant the item, you rune the item, you imbue the item, you add rarity to the item.

Just think of that having a durability and having to toss it at some point.

Though it might have indeed worked quite well before runes, imbues and rarity were added, items were much simpler back then.

Prices are high on NFI because there aren't droves of folks with 90's crafting and priest accounts. Give it a year and prices will fall. When NFI and SFI link prices on NFI will fall hard. It is a supply problem not a inflation problem.

I like that I don't need game coins to the play for the most part. It would ruin Wurm for me if a game currency sink was added which gave advantageous things or was a required "utility bill". I'm cool with cosmetics.

Edited by Ogare
  • Like 1

If anything, deed prices and upkeep should be increased and keep increasing if the owner hasn't logged on in months.

Maybe that would get rid of abandoned deeds and make people join other deeds instead, thus making them bigger and creating communities and not a bunch of hermit 11x11 deeds scattered around everywhere with nothing built on them because the owner quit after a week. 

Edited by atazs

I do not think that item durability is an issue. I often looked through abandoned places after the first crowd of scavengers was through it. Large stacks of items were left behind, even decently enchanted ones. Most of that stuff just rotted away. And very much of the more valuable stuff such as rare and better sits inside wagons and ships where it rots away as well. And some of the objects remain inside banks and player inventories of player sccounts discontinuing playing Wurm for the one or the other reason, quite a number forever. With the demise of RMT and account trade those accounts are gone unless their owner would reconnect. 

As to the accusation that durable items are ruining the economy, I fail to see that. The economy is just an aspect and a niche of the game, and must not dominate it. There is much trade in SFI as well, and it is good that nobody is forced to participate. As Ogare correctly stated, high price level on NFI is caused by shorter supply, not inflation.

"Gold sinks" could be considered for those high level players on SFI who now, after the end of RMT, still amass much silver by trade without being able to sensibly spend it. This is, if at all, a niche problem. If somebody has too much gold, there may be a lot willing to take it 😎.

• Like 1