Sign in to follow this  
Muse

The Horse Traits Thread (and other animals)

I'm pretty sure the devs have a sense of humor. I was recently blessed with a mule named "Pinata." Appropriately enough, one of its traits is "It looks very unmotivated," so I guess I'll be smacking it with a stick until it produces candy. 

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

2 hours ago, LadyCygnet said:

I'm pretty sure the devs have a sense of humor. I was recently blessed with a mule named "Pinata." Appropriately enough, one of its traits is "It looks very unmotivated," so I guess I'll be smacking it with a stick until it produces candy. 

I have a pair named Pinata ---- and Stick.

😀

• Like 1

Ok, doing some testing.

Got two Old ebonies. Im actually using them as a mating pair.

Male draft with strong, carry more then average and easy on gear.

Female speed with Fleeter movement, strong legs and accustomed to water.

Both have the misc Looks unusually strong. Since accustomed to water and easy on gear is generally meaningless, you can say they are both, for testing purposes, 2 traits.

I'm stripped of everything except clothes, and sword/shield, spyglass, and a rope for 2.50 kg. for weight im using 4 mine supports for a total of 242.50. Now this testing is done once ive run of stamina, just to make sure that doesn't effect speed change (not sure if it even does, but wanted to remove the variable just in case). The hill in question is only 10 slope, but it's long enough to be consistent and get an average. Also to note, no gear on any of them, no saddles, reins or shoes. bareback.

The draft does 12.23 to 12.95 on the flat, and 9.63 to around 10.

The speed does average of mid 15km/p. On a hill it drops to around 7.80 into 8.2.

Well, obvious result, the speed horse on a flat is faster then the draft, duh. up hill, with load, the draft only loses about 2-3 km/p while the speed horse loses 6-7km/p.

So drafts are slower, but they lose less on a hill, as it should be.  Nice. In fact, at least in this specific case the draft is actually faster on a hill.

Ok, without the load (2.50 kg).

Draft is 19.45 on flat, 13.37 to 13.77 on the hill

Speed is almost either 21. or 23.05 (it doesn't slide, it's just one or the other depending on test run) on flat. 14.47 to 14.55 on the slope.

So the draft loses around 6 km/p while the speed loses 7 to 9. Speeds overall are fairly close (except for the 23 km/p) and the speed horse maintains itself as still faster then the draft on the hill when traveling light.

I would expect more traits and top gear would exponentially expand the gaps incrementally, but i'd expect overall results would still be the same, with the draft performing better on a hill under load conditions then a speed horse.

Ok, bit more fun. testing one of my oldest "new" foals, an adolescent female mixed with 1x speed (fleeter movement) and 2x draft (strong body, carry more then average) with a 3rd useless draft Easy on gear. I consider this, for testing to be 1x2 mix.

On flat light, 18.73 to 19.45. on slope 13.75 to 13.90. Not bad for adolescent, almost on par with the old ebony.

with load, 12.24 to 12.95 on flat. 9.66 to 9.70 on the slope. nearly on par with the Old Ebony.

Ok, dont have one ready to ride with more speed, less draft. I'll have to use an old pre patch veteran (venerable)

Male ebony, venerable, fleeter, lightning and strong legs + strong body and carry more then average. (plus a misc) for 3x2

Flat light, 25 about but some some testes 27-28 ( and occasional spurts of 18? Yea, gonna consider that an outlier). On the slope, 14.55 to 14 66

Flat under load 14.42 to 15.12. on the slope, 13.77 to 13.99 with the occasional rush to 14.01

**So the adolescent loses about 5 to 6 light and around 3 to 3.5 loaded

The venerable loses about 10 average light and almost nothing loaded, 2 at the very most loaded. While there is a significant speed difference on the flat, there is almost no difference on the slope, light vs loaded., again, under 1km/p.

So as we can see, the draft traits make a noticeable difference on hills, and a significant difference while under load.

So how important is it to mix draft with speed on mounts? Well, depends on how you use your horse. If you generally travel fairly light not much, if at all. if you travel heavy, and especially in hilly areas, it matter alot. The heavier you are, the steeper and more frequent the slopes, the more important it becomes.

** to note, the adolescent is not an Ebony, unlike the rest. I can't determine how much an effect the Ebony speed trait effected the outcomes, but my only ebony mix was just born 3 days ago so it's a long way off from riding. Shame, too, cause it's a 2x2, perfect for testing.

Edited by Elisha

On 12/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, LadyCygnet said:

It could only get better with "it gives more resources "and "it' looks plump and ready to butcher" traits.

• Like 1

I won't put full details up now, but today I've had 2 rare draft animals. First a donkey from a grandfather x granddaughter pairing who both also have that rare trait. Piccolo is a 3 draft + stronger than normal female donkey. I also got a rare draft foal, a 4 draft ebony male with more nimble than normal. He's rather interesting as while neither of his parents have that trait, his paternal grandmother does!

Getting closer

ieRes2X.png

My second foal with more speed then draft, albeit the water trait is rather meh.

...but, it is an Ebony!!