Sign in to follow this  
Muse

The Horse Traits Thread (and other animals)

latest

lost a draft trait on this one but considering how much better the rest of the foals have been this is within what I would consider normal or necessary for some variety at least.

dm02WUz.png

sheep

Spoiler

clone xD

JZhezh8.png

misc lamb

xjPtFC8.png

donkeys

Spoiler

NZh5cJE.png

mZn2hyH.png

So I've never touched animal husbandry before, and I'm just starting to grind it.

Any advice for a person just starting to breed horses, anything I should set out to do before I start breeding them ect?

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

So I've never touched animal husbandry before, and I'm just starting to grind it.

Any advice for a person just starting to breed horses, anything I should set out to do before I start breeding them ect?

mostly keep an eye on your parents of your foals to make sure you have enough variances to avoid inbreeding. branding and naming to track things helps a lot. if you are doing it from scratch keep in mind its a marathon not a sprint! well usually you stand a good chance of getting lucky right off the bat but dont expect it. the wikki on animal traits is your friend! make sure you keep an eye on your animal/tile ratio and that everyone has food.

65AH will get you all the traits in theory but traits always come out 5 points lower then your cap right now. Also one misc always likes to show up so 70 will get you 4 draft or 4 speed semi consistantly 75-80AH will give you more wiggle room for traits in theory. the new tweaks are still being tested.

for the skilling itself you can groom once an hour and shear daily. shearing with coc gives a lot of skill compared to grooming but its more limited time wise. dont be afraid to go and grab a bunch of wild sheep or donkeysother groomables and dump them in an off deed pen if you want to avoid them effecting your ratio and just groom them when you think of it. it levels decently fast if you focus it. its just boring xD

Edited by Yserin
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Madnath said:

Come park yourself on my deed for a few days, I'll hand you a coc100+ skilling brush, and groom non-stop until you hit 80 AH. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

Come park yourself on my deed for a few days, I'll hand you a coc100+ skilling brush, and groom non-stop until you hit 80 AH. 

You...

You have that many creatures?

3 hours ago, Madnath said:

You...

theres a few that do. I leveled the later levels of AH on cista's horses xD way back. 100 by time you get through them all the timer is reset for the first ones you did. its a good way to level it. just remember food! I dont have the space for that many but kudo's to the ones that do xD

8 hours ago, Madnath said:

You...

Two deeds side by side. Draft horses (in progress, so heavy) and speed horses on one deed.. Bison and hellies on second deed. Yea, by the time you get through the last you can start all over.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:43 AM, Yserin said:

65AH will get you all the traits in theory but traits always come out 5 points lower then your cap right now.

This is not quite correct, I have 68 AH and make maxed out draft horses consistently. I suggest people aim for 55 (speed) or 65 (draft) and see how it treats them. I have no plans to go over 70.

There is testimony from e.g. smejack that he constantly hits 5 points under his skill at 80(?) skill, so there is some kind of mechanics difference there - at higher skill maybe. 

Edited by CistaCista

I'd say to get 1 ah level above the number of points you're aiming for. I have 91ah and it's only since I hit that that I started making animals with 90 points.

• Like 1

Also it takes me over 2 hours to groom all of mine! I reckon I have between 300 and 400 floofs total.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 11:22 PM, CistaCista said:

This is not quite correct, I have 68 AH and make maxed out draft horses consistently. I suggest people aim for 55 (speed) or 65 (draft) and see how it treats them. I have no plans to go over 70.

There is testimony from e.g. smejack that he constantly hits 5 points under his skill at 80(?) skill, so there is some kind of mechanics difference there - at higher skill maybe. 

I am at 70AH I have yet to see 70 point animals after the first patch after the AH changes went live. I do see 4 draft trait animals but its much less than the speeds being 4 trait which is mildly annoying since I plan on retiring my speeds as soon as I get an appaloosa pair to CF.

edit the only ones that match my skill was before they made negative traits really rare xD. and maxing my skill included 1 5 point negative trait. I am starting to work on getting the skill higher at this point to make room for misc showing up.

either way your experience ( mileage) may vary like the above posts :D i do suggest taking a vacation at someones deed to grind the skill.

Edited by Yserin

It seems that the mechanism changes maybe after 70.

4 hours ago, Yserin said:

i do suggest taking a vacation at someones deed to grind the skill.

That's funny! 

• Like 1

EEK! So I don't know if I'm just having insanely good luck or if somethings gone wonky with this trait, but I have made a 3rd immortal poneh! This time it's a 3 draft boy, a nice piebald.

Halkiss, male piebald.

[16:31:07] It can carry more than average. It looks unusually strong and healthy. It has a certain spark in its eyes. It seems immortal. It has strong legs. It seems to be a graceful eater. It is easy on its gear. It looks stationary. It has been bred in captivity.

Parents: Northland, male chestnut, 1 speed, 3 draft, stationary, graceful. Xenarock, female blood bay, 1 speed, 3 draft, healthy, stationary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CistaCista said:

It seems that the mechanism changes maybe after 70.

That's funny! 

that last bit was directed at the person that wants to start AH not you :D telling you to take a vacation to grind the skill would indeed be funny lol. I am going to go to 71 and see if that helps the way it has for others but I got the alliance animals to grind it on this time xD. if that doesnt work I can just go to 80AH. needing higher AH to get good trait animals consistently is not a bad thing and follows other skills behavior better. I do want room for enough misc to get spark semi regularly so going to 80AH is probably going to happen I just dont want to grind it lol but thats a me problem not the Features.

edit by vacation I ment parking on someones elses deed for a few days xD not a RL vacation. but I can see how it can get interpreted as such.

Edited by Yserin

6 hours ago, olafhairybreeks said:

EEK! So I don't know if I'm just having insanely good luck or if somethings gone wonky with this trait, but I have made a 3rd immortal poneh! This time it's a 3 draft boy, a nice piebald.

Halkiss, male piebald.

[16:31:07] It can carry more than average. It looks unusually strong and healthy. It has a certain spark in its eyes. It seems immortal. It has strong legs. It seems to be a graceful eater. It is easy on its gear. It looks stationary. It has been bred in captivity.

Parents: Northland, male chestnut, 1 speed, 3 draft, stationary, graceful. Xenarock, female blood bay, 1 speed, 3 draft, healthy, stationary.

grats I am jealous :D

horses:

color of the day is ebony.

this mess:

aXsTiUv.png

the rest of the horses:

Spoiler

pS1SPlF.png

-

good one here

w3KVwb6.png

-

not bad given the parents are opposites

SIJ0wYT.png

donkeys

Spoiler

lmao a mess ( wild parents a mess is expected)

9PfidCp.png

-

woot draft!

8ZRuatb.png

-

Edited by Yserin

On 10/9/2021 at 5:37 PM, Yserin said:

that last bit was directed at the person that wants to start AH not you :D telling you to take a vacation to grind the skill would indeed be funny lol. I am going to go to 71 and see if that helps the way it has for others but I got the alliance animals to grind it on this time xD. if that doesnt work I can just go to 80AH. needing higher AH to get good trait animals consistently is not a bad thing and follows other skills behavior better. I do want room for enough misc to get spark semi regularly so going to 80AH is probably going to happen I just dont want to grind it lol but thats a me problem not the Features.

edit by vacation I ment parking on someones elses deed for a few days xD not a RL vacation. but I can see how it can get interpreted as such.

I went right to 80. All my speed horses have USH, and I'm slowly switching over to getting full USH & spark on the breeders.

My draft bison all have either USH or spark, now I'm working on combining the two to have both. Getting consistent second trait is tedious.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

I went right to 80. All my speed horses have USH, and I'm slowly switching over to getting full USH & spark on the breeders.

My draft bison all have either USH or spark, now I'm working on combining the two to have both. Getting consistent second trait is tedious.

very nice! I'll prob get to 80AH during the upcoming skillgain bonus. Thanks for the info def makes me look forward to hitting that goal since it looks possible. however def consistency seems to died a thorough death xD.

at this point I think its going to take longer to self correct the black sheep I have to output then I have patience for. I might grab some white traitless sheep and see if I cant speed things along. The remove noncompatable traits thing IS working imo I am getting the speed/draft rolling off them but I have only got one to get an output trait on it so far. its just more gradual than I like for the truly over the top mess my black sheep turned into before the latest changes xD.

VrllixQ.png

4TibKHL.png

edit alternate idea inbreeding them until even the misc rolls off and starting from scratch that way while keeping the color? not sure that would be any faster.

Edited by Yserin
had an idea

@YserinI have a number of output sheep. I can either sell you some or if you want to arrange some hot dates with some of my boys for free they're always ready and willing!

• Like 2

Xanadu, G23. I won't post it here but I have a merchant post with a link to my stock list on the forums.

ah no dice then xD cadence here. I do appreciate the offer to sell one! however there be a void between our servers. I'll get output on them eventually!

What a shame! I suggest starting from wilds and just keep trying. Once you get an output trait breed them again and again!

I got another rare baby! This time it's the chance to produce twins trait. I now have all the rare traits represented in my animals except the tameness one. ^-^

Jadepie, female white.

[19:04:45] It has a strong body. It can carry more than average. It looks unusually strong and healthy. It has a certain spark in its eyes. It seems more friendly. It has strong legs. It has a chance to produce twins. It has a slow metabolism. It has been bred in captivity.

Parents: Echobone, male ebony, 4 draft, seems more friendly, vibrant, picks stuff up. Zoe, female white, 5 speed.