Sign in to follow this  
Hailiah

Branding Pets is bad

Branding our pets seems a bit harsh, can we have leather pet collars with buckles and name tags instead? My kitty would appreciate this ty.

• Like 4

Mmmm kay, +1 for collars for "pets"

Edited by Antony

Virtual animals feel no pain, and although I am not sure that they branded cats in the middle ages, they did throw rocks at them and eat them, I sincerely doubt anyone had pet collars with buckles and name tags, but feel free to prove me wrong!

Besides, if you get pet collars for your cat, I want one for my pet pig.

Maybe a smaller, dog-size friendly branding iron,  so people don't have to stick rover with a big huge cow brand 

-1 my pets have never come and made an official complaints about branding before.

14 hours ago, Wulfgar said:

Virtual animals feel no pain, and although I am not sure that they branded cats in the middle ages, they did throw rocks at them and eat them, I sincerely doubt anyone had pet collars with buckles and name tags, but feel free to prove me wrong!

Besides, if you get pet collars for your cat, I want one for my pet pig.

+1 for pet pig collars.

Animal Collars are a tried and trusted way of sorting your animals in a pain free way:

The Donkey Sanctuary charity has colour-coded collars, white for males, yellow for females.  There are secondary collars of different colours:

Green - indicates the donkey will be on one extra feed per day.

Blue - two extra feeds per day.

Black - three extra feeds per day.

Orange - the donkey is on medication.

Pink - the donkey has sight-problems or is blind.

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/what-we-do/knowledge-and-advice/about-donkeys/coloured-collars-explained

I think adding coloured collars would really help breeders sort and identify their animals, particularly animals such as bison and pigs which have no names.

A++ Definitely

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

Pet collars, for pigs, cats, dogs, donkeys, crocs! +1

+1 for dyable leather collars for all non-aggro animals. I don't want to detract from the motivation to breed housepets.

Could we have metal shackles for aggressive land monsters (can be dominated) as well?

Trying to avoid suggesting that such things should fit on dolphins, but a metal band on the tail of a scorpion would look awesome! As would a band on the ankle of a champ troll.

Not a fan of any type of equipables for spiders. Put a collar on it, and next there will be demand for saddles. And I definitely don't want ridable spiders becoming a thing in the future.

Goblins riding hellhounds would be seriously cool though.

• Like 2

I'd prefer halters instead of collars for animals that can currently wear a bridle. Halters could potentially be used on cows, bulls and bison too, and they could be made of rope.

Edited by Vorticella

8 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

I'd prefer halters instead of collars for animals that can currently wear a bridle. Halters could potentially be used on cows, bulls and bison too, and they could be made of rope.

Rope halters? Like this?

AJes7wc.jpg

But then we couldn't potentially have this, which us way cooler imho:

gZZFvpq.jpg

• Like 2

I prefer the halter, personally. Would be great to have both options :)

11 minutes ago, Drayka said:

But then we couldn't potentially have this, which us way cooler imho:

gZZFvpq.jpg

I have a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!

• Like 2

+1 I would love dyeable collars! And I personally am not one that enjoys the sound of an animal in pain, even a virtual one. Makes me cringe every time I brand an animal. That being said I doubt the devs and others will be to inclined to ditch the branding mechanic.

• Like 2

Branding makes sense for larger animals since it fits with RL usage of branding to show ownership over farm animals.  At the same time, I would love alternatives for branding for smaller animals or ones we aren't using as farm animals.  With the advent of pet bowls, I would love the idea of collars for pet dogs, cats, and so on.  Even as just an alternative, it would be nice to have options like this in a game that wants to embrace realism at times.

• Like 3

Maybe we could use bridles - collars to claim ownership to an animal on a server we don't have a deed. Max 1 per, at least once premmed, character.

Or manage the situation through the managing system. 

Aka right click on animal, let's say horse -> "Brand to deed" and done.