CistaCista

New mysteries of animal breeding

On 6/7/2021 at 1:46 PM, elentari said:

From description in the patch note, supposedly when it eats it can dig up stuff from the ground @Finnn. What stuff? No idea, haven't seen anything so far. 

so far - same.. and was checking a few for days.. nada

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

so far - same.. and was checking a few for days.. nada

Maybe it ate it 😆

Maybe it has a chance to dig up things like gems. If so, I'd think it'd be very rare. And if it's very rare, then it'd also make sense for it to dig up things that cannot decay (like gems) so we have a chance to find them.

But then again, looking for a tiny gems on enchanted grass might be easy enough to miss, lol. Let's all start wasting time by looking for gems in our big enclosures! :D

Edited by Borstaskor

I have one theory that can explain why some people get appalling result from breeding the classic horses.

We have seen that speed traits and draft traits are mutually exclusive on a new foal. They never appear together. 

The theory would be:

when a foal is "conceived",  both the speed traits and draft traits actually will get drawn from the parents with some probability. They take up "space" in the foal. But after the draw is finished, one category is deleted from the foal.

What does this mean? It means that breeding with a classic horse that has both types of traits will give you horrible results. Breeding with horses that have only speed traits should give you better speed horses. Same with draft horses.

Anecdotal evidence: none of the males I have been breeding with are classic 5-speed horses that carry 2 draft traits. And I have been getting tons of new 4-speed horses out of them.

Anyway, this theory will soon be irrelevant because future horses will never have both categories of traits.

Edited by CistaCista

13 minutes ago, CistaCista said:

We have seen that speed traits and draft traits are mutually exclusive on a new foal. They never appear together. 

They aren't mutually exclusive. Gonna update with some screenshots later tonight. 

Its also wrong because ive started breeding second generation patch horses with only speed and still getting nasty foals

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CistaCista said:

I have one theory that can explain why some people get appalling result from breeding the classic horses.

The theory would be:

when a foal is "conceived",  both the speed traits and draft traits actually will get drawn from the parents with some probability. They take up "space" in the foal. But after the draw is finished, one category is deleted from the foal.

What does this mean? It means that breeding with a classic horse that has both types of traits will give you horrible results. Breeding with horses that have only speed traits should give you better speed horses. Same with draft horses.

Anecdotal evidence: none of the males I have been breeding with are classic 5-speed horses that carry 2 draft traits. And I have been getting tons of new 4-speed horses out of them.

Anyway, this theory will soon be irrelevant because future horses will never have both categories of traits.

I have bred my old herd, which consisted of straight five speeds, five with fight, and five with USH. I have gotten mostly 4 speed foals, the bad ones being within the range of old normals. I've even gotten one four speed plus the rare speed trait. Now I have to let him grow up to see if it carries on.

I don't think horse breeding is broken, IF you're breeding speed horses.

Draft IS broken. It will take months to get good draft horses and bison, since it appears the animals pass on whatever their majority trait is. In all our old good herds that was 3 speed, 2 draft traits. Therefore all my bison have produced 4 speed traited bison babies. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elentari said:

They aren't mutually exclusive. Gonna update with some screenshots later tonight. 

I've yet to see one with both speed and draft. I'd love to see some screenshots.

Yeah I think you are right,  my brain must have seen my "young" horses prepatch and I mistook them for the newer ones. 

So first five baby bison born, all of wild parents. Bred at 73AH

Two males with only negative traits, each 10 points.

one male with no traits. 0 points

one male with combat trait 10 points

one female with one negative trait. 5 points.

Not one draft trait.

In all the babies born, horses from old 5 speed parents, and bison from old five speed parents, and now bison from wild parents, not one draft trait. NOT ONE.

This is gonna make breeding draft animals a bit difficult *rolls eyes*

• Like 4

I've pretty much done near the same as Champagnedragon. Bred the old speed horses/bison I had, zero draft traits. Breeding some wild bison as well, so far zero draft bison, but still more births coming. Will update this post if the wild bison do produce a draft baby.

I bred a few 3-draft bison and one 4-draft bison so far. That being said, I absolutely hate this patch. Mostly every animal born is slaughtered due to a mixture of bad/pointless traits. After three hotfixes parent names are still mixed up and trait points still don't add up. Very underwhelming.

I am also wondering about the "twins" trait. If these rare traits are hereditary (and they better are!) then this one is utterly bad since it would prevent offspring from getting the worthwhile rare speed/draft traits. Shouldn't rare traits be good by definition?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Josso said:

If these rare traits are hereditary (and they better are!)

They stated rare traits will have less probability of passing on. What that means we will just have to see.

I guess their intention is that the traits must remain rare.

11 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

I have gotten mostly 4 speed foals

all my bison have produced 4 speed traited bison babies. 

It's amazing that from breeder to breeder, the results are so different.

Others claim they are completely unable to get decent horses from breeding the classic horses. Myself, I get both good and bad horses in an equal mix.

Draft IS broken.

Well it's not really broken, it's just that you are breeding speed horses, and you are getting speed horse foals out of it. That's what they intended.

56 minutes ago, CistaCista said:

Others claim they are completely unable to get decent horses from breeding the classic horses. Myself, I get both good and bad horses in an equal mix.

https://www.howtogeek.com/446695/what-is-rng-in-video-games-and-why-do-people-criticize-it/#:~:text=A random number generator (RNG,factor in many modern games.

RNG .................. on what's supposed to be genetics'-based, AKA breeding................................ just read it.  Sucked bigly on the old system., where having 60 or over AH was penalized.   As an old-time breeder myself, this is one update i'm GLAD that WU isn't getting, considering the constant foal-slaying that old system 70AH brings when it comes to breeding 7-trait classic 5spd hell horses..  Who said that broken promises are all bad, eh?  This current RNG is a friggin nightmare compared to the old AH RNG we all hated so much.

As a WU player, if devs decide to bring WU up to speed with WO, bring in the new lighting and such but FFS DO NOT BRING IN THIS NEW BREEDING SYSTEM.  Any self-respecting server admin would focus on undoing this mess for their server.  There are good ideas in there, but the RNG for the offspring is anything BUT that.  @Sklo:Dshould be able to tell you more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CistaCista said:

Well it's not really broken, it's just that you are breeding speed horses, and you are getting speed horse foals out of it. That's what they intended.

I am referring to wild bison being bred with wild bison. Not one draft trait to be found. NOT ONE. 75 AH at the time of breeding, wild (so unrelated I'd think) bison.

7 minutes ago, ChampagneDragon said:

I am referring to wild bison being bred with wild bison. Not one draft trait to be found. NOT ONE. 75 AH at the time of breeding, wild (so unrelated I'd think) bison.

That's very interesting. I have been breeding some wild donkeys, and gotten no draft traits off from them yet either. 

3 minutes ago, CistaCista said:

That's very interesting. I have been breeding some wild donkeys, and gotten no draft traits off from them yet either. 

When I said the same thing on an earlier page you said I wasn't doing it right, so I guess you aren't either?

1 minute ago, SmeJack said:

When I said the same thing on an earlier page you said I wasn't doing it right, so I guess you aren't either?

Except you said from named horses too.

It seems very easy to get draft traits out of named horses that have draft traits as majority/equality. I feel I am doing fine thank you.

My guess is that the dominant category is to blame for the bad results, from the patch news:

Traits now have categories, the majority category on a creature excluding negative and miscellaneous traits will influence how traits are passed on greatly preferring to pass on its majority to its child.

All my old (pre-patch) horses have 3 speed traits, 2 drafts traits, 2 miscellaneous traits and 1 combat trait. I reckon the new code now sees the 3 speed traits as the dominant category and thus passes the 3 speed traits (frequently) on to the foals. However, that are only 45 traits points and the tally needs to be filled to 90 trait points somehow. And thus the RNG comes on and fills 45 traits points with random negative or miscellaneous traits.

• Like 2

I don't play for hours like some.I've been playing casually for years and it took me a long time just to get to 50AH so i could breed my own 5 spd horses.I even created a deed on xanadu just so i could gather critters and groom them in a huge fenced area just to get to 50AH.This update sucks,you nerfed AH and gave us asses in return.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Liandal30 said:

I don't play for hours like some. I've been playing casually for years and it took me a long time just to get to 50AH so i could breed my own 5 spd horses.I even created a deed on xanadu just so i could gather critters and groom them in a huge fenced area just to get to 50AH.This update sucks, you nerfed AH and gave us asses in return.

Agree.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2021 at 8:06 AM, Mordraug said:

The @Sklo:Dshould be able to tell you more.

I warned them dozens of times, they didn't listen. That is all I want to say.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Eobersig said:

My guess is that the dominant category is to blame for the bad results, from the patch news:

All my old (pre-patch) horses have 3 speed traits, 2 drafts traits, 2 miscellaneous traits and 1 combat trait. I reckon the new code now sees the 3 speed traits as the dominant category and thus passes the 3 speed traits (frequently) on to the foals. However, that are only 45 traits points and the tally needs to be filled to 90 trait points somehow. And thus the RNG comes on and fills 45 traits points with random negative or miscellaneous traits.

that's the sad part about AH... it's just the -same-old- grind high skill to get screwed over, nothing improved in the end.. and now we have a bigger variety of junk traits that stick as 'useful' and there's no way to manage and remove them, not to mention needing a drug-dealer fo priest to fix you with a cast on most of your new creatures.. and leaving you absolutely helpless as AH player if you're not a fo priest.. speaks volumes how 'improved' the AH skill is.. and how worse things have gotten; on the bright side we have a few new traits to improve speed, but we also received nerfs to speed, so.. was there any improvement at all or is it a huge overcomplicated headache that isn't fun to deal with..🤔 

• Like 4