Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 26/MAY/2021

6 minutes ago, Serzane said:

What is happening.......where is that post about why they are down?  

In game message was: 

Reason: Emergency shutdown, information will be forthcoming on the forums.

All we get is the bar at top of window saying:

All servers currently down for emergency maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for your patience!

Reminds me of God's final message to his creation in Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

God's Final Message to His Creation is written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on top of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains in the land of Sevorbeupstry on planet Preliumtarn, third out from the sun Zarss in Galactic Sector QQ7 ActiveJ Gamma and guarded by the Lajestic Vantrashell of Lob. You can look at it through a pay telescope although in most species it would severely damage the retina and optic nerve. Several nearby stands sell postcards, food, devotional tracts, and rental scooters.

The messsage is, “We apologize for the inconvenience.”

😛 

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

Something like a test server would help reduce the need to take down the live servers (assuming this is a fix related to the patch).

Just now, LionIX said:

Something like a test server would help reduce the need to take down the live servers (assuming this is a fix related to the patch).

I remember Retro used to have global messages in server about joining them on the test server to help out for a little bit and you'll get a present.  They could still do the same thing and give out a sleep powder as long as you post on the dedicated forum thread for that testing of your experience and issues.

1 minute ago, nicedreams said:

I remember Retro used to have global messages in server about joining them on the test server to help out for a little bit and you'll get a present.  They could still do the same thing and give out a sleep powder as long as you post on the dedicated forum thread for that testing of your experience and issues.

I mean even not having rewards, there'd still be at least some who would use it to figure out what's coming.

18 hours ago, Synjor said:

Demona did provide some great information regarding horse speeds in GL earlier. 

"[23:36:44] <Demonanightshade> 55 gets you all speed traits."

55 points, which is 55 AH, is enough to fit all speed traits onto an animal. The rare speed trait doesn't cost any points. https://puu.sh/HKj7U/c61c81c183.png

"[00:00:08] <Demonanightshade> So, I went onto test. Recreated my exact horse gear on an identical horse to mine in game except with the new speed traits, made sure my inventory was the same weight, etc. In game I reached 35.29kmh on my horse. On test, with the speed traits there, got up to 42.49kmh, all flat ground, no slopes. That DOES include the rare speed trait, and even without that it reaches the same speed because the rare trait just makes it so all speed traits are always active (like hell horses.)"

Of course, I'm unsure what speeds her original horse was seeing prior to the update, however I imagine a permanent 42kmh speed on flat terrain is an upgrade.

This may suggest carts/wagons will also go back up to, or even exceed pre-patch speeds once we begin fitting them with the appropriate animals/traits. 

Thanks for the info Demona, definitely glad to see we can achieve faster speeds to make up for the extra effort!

Wait wait wait.

All of us were begging to be allowed to test this, and the whole time it was up on the test server?

Edit: Double Post?

Edited by Dinant
Double Post?

4 minutes ago, Dinant said:

Wait wait wait.

All of us were begging to be allowed to test this, and the whole time it was up on the test server?

Likely a private test server for devs/staff, not the one we can access occasionally.

So it looks like the test server is up right now with at least some of the recent update, and oddly enough some of the bugs in the live aren't in the test client.

No telling how long it's been up or when it had the horse update added, maybe long enough for us to have done some breeding?

More bugs... 

Saddled horses wandering.

Animals showing not hungry when they are hungry.

Horses hitched to hitching post with food in trough showing not hungry, but they are (even on enchanted grass tiles) - Horses with empty troughs not hungry.

New foals being born showing no parents on examine, and some not even able to use the new inspect animal mechanic despite being bred.

The foal that could not use the inspect animal mechanic had no traits despite being bred from five traited parents (from using examine).

6 hours ago, Dinant said:

Wait wait wait.

Did nobody think to logging into the test server and look?

It was certainly there a day, or two, before it went live. But, I had no time to test anything.

I guess we were all expecting some communication about the issue, but in retrospect that was ridiculous of us.

Of course since the most important part of the patch was breeding it needed to have been open 10 days or more beforehand for people to test gestation.

Edited by Dinant
additional

On 5/27/2021 at 8:05 PM, gnomegates said:

The trait "It has strong legs" is a draft trait and different then the speed trait of "It has very strong leg muscles". This draft trait is also worth 20 points, so I would assume that it is the more valuable of the other draft traits we do have currently, which are 10 and 15 points. So those of us testing with carts do not have full access to all of the draft traits that should take is back to where we were before.

Except it has now been confirmed that our current 10 and 15 point draught traits are actually 15 and 20, and the inspect window is showing the wrong figures, and that is where the missing points in the totals is coming from.

If the next draught trait that's commonly available also costs 20 points, as shown in the example, it means that it will require higher AH to get 4 draught trait horses than it does to get 4 speed horses (and that's assuming that draught will get 4 commonly available traits, same as speed).

It's possible that there are only 3 draught traits, and that would then be 55 points required for both maxed speed and draught horses.

2 minutes ago, Delone said:

(and that's assuming that draught will get 4 commonly available traits, same as speed)

From what I have been able yo piece together, There are a total of 6 draft traits, 2 of them rare the other 4 common ( stronger than normal - rare, More Nimble - rare, strong legs - not to be mistaken for Very strong legs which is a speed trait, Easy on gear, carry more and strong body. 

• Like 1

If Strong Legs costs 20, this would also mean that building an allround horse with the essential 3 speed + 3 draft traits will require 100 husbandry skill.  

Good luck!

I consider the cart nerf thoroughly over the top. My standard deed transport, with 2 former 4sp, went 19km/h on flat ground before, now is around 7-8kmh with 2 lcrates (none of them full) 1 lcrate (not full either, mostly not weighty stuff), and 1 raft mainly with tools and a few backpacks. It just means that carts are unusable unless having specialized high draft horses.

• Like 3

On 5/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, Synjor said:

Demona did provide some great information regarding horse speeds in GL earlier. 

"[23:36:44] <Demonanightshade> 55 gets you all speed traits."

55 points, which is 55 AH, is enough to fit all speed traits onto an animal. The rare speed trait doesn't cost any points. https://puu.sh/HKj7U/c61c81c183.png

"[00:00:08] <Demonanightshade> So, I went onto test. Recreated my exact horse gear on an identical horse to mine in game except with the new speed traits, made sure my inventory was the same weight, etc. In game I reached 35.29kmh on my horse. On test, with the speed traits there, got up to 42.49kmh, all flat ground, no slopes. That DOES include the rare speed trait, and even without that it reaches the same speed because the rare trait just makes it so all speed traits are always active (like hell horses.)"

Of course, I'm unsure what speeds her original horse was seeing prior to the update, however I imagine a permanent 42kmh speed on flat terrain is an upgrade.

This may suggest carts/wagons will also go back up to, or even exceed pre-patch speeds once we begin fitting them with the appropriate animals/traits. 

Thanks for the info Demona, definitely glad to see we can achieve faster speeds to make up for the extra effort!

With being able to play with Keen sense now,  I see a major assumption wrong here, and that is that the always on trait doesn't affect the outcome of speed.

Quote: "That DOES include the rare speed trait, and even without that it reaches the same speed because the rare trait just makes it so all speed traits are always active"

If the always on trait activates Keen senses, it is a huge boost, in the vicinity of 5-6kph over what the horse would do otherwise, permanently instead of only while in water. 

To me it appears Demona may not have worked this out, or has not tested it.  Add gear increasing that boost, and we see why there is a 7kph difference between her test and live, without the rare trait, the speeds would be the same?

You will want to be breeding for Keen senses just in case you manage the rare all trait on boost, otherwise it is mostly just a novelty trait yet again.

Edited by Delone

Combat, Rare     It seems extremely tame      Aggressive animals become passive

This is clearly the holy grail for Hell horses - any chance that this trait can also make unicorns rideable without having to tame them?

If not, please consider this a suggestion to apply it to unicorns as well.  It would be nice to have both perma-rideable hellhorses and perma-rideable unicorns as a possibility.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 9:30 AM, DevBlog said:

Having all draft traits will give a speed bonus instead of speed traits when a creature is hitched.

Am I interpreting this correctly to mean:  "until a hitched animal has all four non-rare draft traits, no speed bonus is applied"?

Testing with with a lightly loaded wagon.

Test 1 - Four traditional 5s horses (3s2d trait) with good, but not great shoes (75ql, 75woa):  Wagon speed was a constant 15.11 km/h over a 250 journey of flat tiles along the coast.  At no point did speed bonuses appear to kick in.

Test 2 - Four traditional 5s bison (3s2d trait):  Wagon speed was a constant 13.66 km/h over the same journey.  Bison showed speed bonus animations (galloping instead of trotting), but no bonus to speed was observed.

Prior to this update, this same wagon and team in test 2 would show either 18 km/h when the bison were hitting their speed bonuses and 12 km/h when they were all trotting.

If the intended goal of the draft change is no speed bonus unless the hitched animal has all draft traits, this would certainly explain why cart/wagon speeds seem to be so much lower in comparison.  Should draft bonuses trigger for hitched animals the same way that speed bonuses trigger for ridden animals?  Or are they intended to only apply when hitched animals have all 4 draft traits and are a constantly applied bonus (unlike speed bonuses)?

deleted. i found the info on another post. 

Edited by Draiodoir

"New: Traits now have categories, the majority category on a creature excluding negative and miscellaneous traits will influence how traits are passed on greatly preferring to pass on its majority to its child."

Nice nerf to riding horses... 

I've popped out a few horses on Defiance (short gestation server.) 

[15:01:13] It has fleeter movement than normal. It has lightning movement. It has very strong leg muscles. It seems accustomed to water. It seems overly aggressive. It seems vibrant. It has been bred in captivity. 

I see how the foals keep the Majority category and then RNG all the other traits, sure some decent non majority traits will have a higher chance to get in "Traits have point values now which influence their chance to pass on and how many traits". but it looks nothing like the old RNG where they had a good chance to stay in.
Any other traits that players want to keep in the horse, will not stay in when breeding. Just the majority category. That's a big deal.  RIP player ridden horses when you carry more than your lunchbox :P  although it looks like weight doesn't effect as much now, speed still varies a lot, overall top speed is reduced markedly (at least testing on my 90/90 set, 39kg gear, was topping at 38kmh before changes, now 33kmh on a 3spd, 36kmh on the above 4spd / all speed none rare trait horse, will double check after I remove that negative trait).  I like that for pvp, not so much for pve.

Consistent custom mix horses aren't going to be a thing 😕 Choose your category and hope for the best or push out 1,000,000 horses.

Or unless you take 2 different majority category parents hmm have to test that, still not going to give you a true custom mix which is a shame IMO. 

Edited by Omar

2 hours ago, Omar said:

I've popped out a few horses on Defiance (short gestation server.) 

Assuming these are from old 5sp horses?

Sadly, this is what a few of the people l have been discussing breeding with feared, that once you pulled your traits from the dominant pool, the rest would just be random.

As a plate wearer, and also usually traveling carrying a full set of tools, the riding horses are now noticably (3-4kph) slower than prior to the patch, so it's not just been a cart nerf patch. Given one of the things a lot of players already found irksome was travel times, they really seem to be rubbing it in.

Unless you manage to fluke the always on trait that Demona used in her example, apparently not linking that to giving the huge boost that keen senses would otherwise apply only in water, we are in a situation that it now takes more AH to get worse riding animals, and strongly suspecting the same will hold true for vehicle speeds even with max draught trait horses. Bison may work out okay once we get some draught lines going there.. but finding wild bison, or bison that weren't bred for the previous 3 working traits that will all promote yet more speed traits,  is extremely rare.

Simply cannot understand the thinking behind this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Omar said:

RIP player ridden horses when you carry more

To be more specific, RIP breeding those horses with any consistency, based on your knowledge and the herd that you nurtured. They will still be made but only through RNGing through thousands of slaughtered foals, and buyers will be unperturbed.

But if everything besides majority traits truly is RNG, it's not a fulfilling change for breeders. That is indeed what we feared.    

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this