Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 26/MAY/2021

54 minutes ago, Joelle said:

why was this update not on test server before going live?

Personally, I don't play on test at all here anymore and it is possible there just isn't enough adoption of the test server for it to really add up to more than the devs already test themselves?  I just don't know.  There is another game I play, called Conan Exiles, which has a test server and I'm always first to get on there and give it a spin.  One thing I notice is the percentage of community that actually uses it is so minimal, that it never does an adequate job of catching all the bugs.  Also, the entire gaming industry is now migrating to using paying customers to willingly be QC/bug hunters for any new content.  I think more games have their biggest influx of sales during early access now.

I am guessing Wurm devs just figure the fastest way to catch the bugs is just go live and get it over with.  Boy are we finding the bugs!

Also, maybe next week someone from staff will care to comment on what is a bug and what is intended?  This change in staff communication is baffling though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madnath said:

that's 4 thoughts not 7

Hide contents

just joking, glad to see you back

listen here bub

6 minutes ago, Madnath said:

that's 4 thoughts not 7

I noticed you posted this comment on the twenty severalth of May

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gnomegates said:

You are correct, but the issue is not them eating, its them going back to aggressive once the hitching post is empty. Right now when hitched to a post with food in it, they become docile, once that food is gone they are aggressive again. They will still graze, thus not starving, but the benefit of keeping them hitched and docile goes away. This becomes an issue if you have say 6 hitching posts back to back to each other all full of hell horses. Walking into the group of them with empty hitching posts means you can, and most likely be attacked by up to 18 hell horses, sometimes all at one time, making it dangerous.

While that does sound concerning that does sound like an unintended feature of the previous design. I like the idea that in order to keep them docile you need to keep maintenance on the posts. It sounds strange to have tossed food in there that makes them docile and yet they didn't eat it. 

short comment to pitchfork: I am a bit sad that its combat power is near zero. This should be thought over given the role pitchforks played in history of popular uprisings. I would love pitchforks turned into weapons of polearms class, maybe considering them 2hand instead of 1hand though I am not sure.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

48 minutes ago, Zuelatak said:

While that does sound concerning that does sound like an unintended feature of the previous design. I like the idea that in order to keep them docile you need to keep maintenance on the posts. It sounds strange to have tossed food in there that makes them docile and yet they didn't eat it. 

Unintended or not, its the way that it has been, and the reason talked about before for the change was to make it easier for people with underground dwellings able to have their pets underground and not have to drop food for them anymore. The change was not made to fix a possible unintended feature, which we don't know if it was or not, that is an assumption on your part. The change made to this is going to have undesired effects to those of us that use hell horses on hitching posts, and have since they were introduced. Making a positive QOL change for one group of player base at the expense of another group of the player base is never the way to go in my opinion. 

Edited by gnomegates

We have in-game wiki, but when is wurmpedia being updated?  No mention of new animal handling, horses, donkey, hay or new items.  Have to rely on patch notes and word of mouth for now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

We have in-game wiki, but when is wurmpedia being updated? 

Like most wikis, it’s community driven.

From wurmpedia’s about page:

The Wurmpedia has and always will be the player-made handbook for Wurm Online.

Feel free to contribute and update it!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Calan said:

Like most wikis, it’s community driven.

From wurmpedia’s about page:

Feel free to contribute and update it!

I'd feel free to contribute if I knew wtf I was doing and understood this update.  I know it's a small team, but I kind of expect a new feature "the in-game wiki" that was just added to the game to have the new changes in it.  It's not a complaint, it's a legitimate question.  Usually the wiki has much better defined information in it than patch notes and that's what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nicedreams said:

I'd feel free to contribute if I knew wtf I was doing and understood this update.

Since wiki team is players ...they also need to find out wtf they are doing before post it in wiki  

so that we all will understand this update 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maiya said:

Since wiki team is players ...they also need to find out wtf they are doing before post it in wiki  

so that we all will understand this update

They have community volunteers on the forums that work with the Wurm team to give players information about the game, new features, etc that no one else knows about so I figured they worked with someone to kick off some updates/changes to the wiki also.

4 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

They have community volunteers on the forums that work with the Wurm team to give players information about the game, new features, etc that no one else knows about

That is news to me 

But now Im sure there will be alot of new helpers to wiki since we all want to know about what devs know  :)

Edited by Maiya

18 minutes ago, Maiya said:

That is news to me

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong and they all on payroll.

2 hours ago, nicedreams said:

Usually the wiki has much better defined information in it than patch notes and that's what I'm looking for.

Did you know that the original horse traits were not understood until years later. Keen Senses was hardly understood last week.

Meanwhile, people were mistakenly grinding hot food cooking to improve casting for nearly a decade. Then they found out that it didn't do anything.

This is Wurm Online. Immerse yourself.

• Like 5
  • Cat 1

Wish we could collapse in-game wiki window, or hit a button to close the window in-game and instantly open it up in the browser.

Edited by Antony
me being a ######
  • Cat 1

13 hours ago, Joelle said:

2. However, why are there 6 pages of comments on this thread but no staff input? That's disappointing to me... There are many good points and questions raised here that seem easy enough to address. At least a "We are not commenting on that at this time since the update is so new" would be nice as a reply. Radio silence seems sketch.

My concerns are 100% about cart/wagon speed. My cart is down from 20 to 15.8 and my wagon is down from 18 to 13.7. Both 80ql. It would be very easy for someone at Wurm to simply say "Yes, when you max out your animals, you'll be back to where you were" or "No, this is a vehicle rebalancing as part of the animal patch and your speeds will be staying as they are now". This is not rocket science. There should be someone who knows this and could take 30 seconds out of their life to answer a lot of community concerns. The lack of an answer makes me feel like the answer is "This is a vehicle nerf as part of the animal patch and we're hoping that by the time you invest 3 more months in the game trying to see if things get better, the sunken cost fallacy will continue to keep you here". 

Can't you just literally have someone answer us? Please?

• Like 5

Demona did provide some great information regarding horse speeds in GL earlier. 

"[23:36:44] <Demonanightshade> 55 gets you all speed traits."

55 points, which is 55 AH, is enough to fit all speed traits onto an animal. The rare speed trait doesn't cost any points. https://puu.sh/HKj7U/c61c81c183.png

"[00:00:08] <Demonanightshade> So, I went onto test. Recreated my exact horse gear on an identical horse to mine in game except with the new speed traits, made sure my inventory was the same weight, etc. In game I reached 35.29kmh on my horse. On test, with the speed traits there, got up to 42.49kmh, all flat ground, no slopes. That DOES include the rare speed trait, and even without that it reaches the same speed because the rare trait just makes it so all speed traits are always active (like hell horses.)"

Of course, I'm unsure what speeds her original horse was seeing prior to the update, however I imagine a permanent 42kmh speed on flat terrain is an upgrade.

This may suggest carts/wagons will also go back up to, or even exceed pre-patch speeds once we begin fitting them with the appropriate animals/traits. 

Thanks for the info Demona, definitely glad to see we can achieve faster speeds to make up for the extra effort!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Synjor said:

Demona did provide some great information regarding horse speeds in GL earlier. 

"[23:36:44] <Demonanightshade> 55 gets you all speed traits."

55 points, which is 55 AH, is enough to fit all speed traits onto an animal. The rare speed trait doesn't cost any points. https://puu.sh/HKj7U/c61c81c183.png

I really do appreciate the thought.. I have been going nuts here for two days wanting to know if my cart which is how I move my characters around the world will work or not, and there is NO information and no response whatsoever, except "Wait and see, and hope". Speed traits don't help me, I don't even ride around on a horse with just one character...

13 hours ago, nicedreams said:

We have in-game wiki, but when is wurmpedia being updated?  No mention of new animal handling, horses, donkey, hay or new items.  Have to rely on patch notes and word of mouth for now.

I'm working on some pages for the new content, not sure who else is, but we haven't been provided much new information beyond the patch notes, so it's going to take a bit. 

• Like 2

CistaCista and I were trying to nut out the issue with the missing points - what we have deduced is that draught traits are adding 5 more points per trait to the totals that they are showing in the inspect window, if others could check their animals and see if this holds true for more than our sample, it would be good to know.

The next question then becomes: Which is the correct point amount? The one shown in the inspect window individually, or are the draught traits costing 5 more points than they actually now show?

If the total is the wrong amount, does this mean breeding for draught animals is currently suffering an unintended penalty, making it harder to produce higher counts of draught traits in this generation?

Edited by Delone
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Delone said:

CistaCista and I were trying to nut out the issue with the missing points - what we have deduced is that draught traits are adding 5 more points per trait to the totals they they are showing in the inspect window, if others could check their animals and see if this holds true for more than our sample, it would be good to know.

The next question then becomes: Which is the correct point amount? The one shown in the inspect window individually, or are the draught traits costing 5 more points than they actually now show?

If the total is the wrong amount, does this mean breeding for draught animals is currently suffering an unintended penalty, making it harder to produce higher counts of draught traits in this generation?

The total is correct, but" It has a strong body." and "It can carry more than average." where showing in the client as 5 points less each than they should have the server has had the correct value for it. Will be resolved soon.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Darklords said:

Will be resolved soon.

What always is of concern is why was this not resolved before the launch?

Why are new things being introduced not tested properly before being inflicted on the player base?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Arronicus said:

I'm working on some pages for the new content, not sure who else is, but we haven't been provided much new information beyond the patch notes, so it's going to take a bit. 

I've created pages for donkey and mule, but there's not a lot of info on them yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Finnn said:

patchnotes 28/05/2021?

3x

What is happening.......where is that post about why they are down?  

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this