Sign in to follow this  
Borstaskor

Remove the bonus speed of ebony/molten

I got a few positive responses on some of my suggestions in the latest VI-post, so here's one of them copy pasted with some possible modifications:

The upside of having a rare color give extra performance is fun in certain aspects but it comes at the cost of min-maxers feeling like they can't aesthetically customize by using their favorite color/skin.

With the new proposed AH changes, we will get something that would fill the same niche/role/feeling that breeding a specific rare color currently fills; Breeding a specific rare trait.

This is a perfect opportunity to get rid of the bonus to ebony/molten and allow min-maxers to not have to choose between using ebony/moltens to min-max or feeling bad about using their favorite colors.

I love the nightshade skin of hell horses but I currently use moltens on my hell cart because, while the 2.5% speed isn't that big of a number, it still makes a difference on something that can reach the kind of speeds that my hell cart does.

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 3

+1 

Or even add other benefits to the other colors to balance it.

I hate how molten and ebony are the meta, so it makes other colors less valuable. 

• Like 3

A big +1 . Makes sense to do this with the new AH update.

Im not sure your cart misses going .3km/h faster

It's not a percentage of the end result 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Im not sure your cart misses going .3km/h faster

It's not a percentage of the end result 

Double moltens, according to the excel calculator, raises the speed quant by ~0.7. Single molten for me is enough to push it above a speed quant threshold but having mismatched horses looks even more scuffed so I'm running double molten. 0.7 increase in the speed quant does actually push it above the quant threshold for the majority of hell cart setups. Granted, for a regular horse cart, the quant increase for double ebonys is only ~0.5 but it still is a coin toss if it makes a difference for you or not.

A speed quant threshold raises the speed by 0.72 km/h.

.. Sure, the 2.5% isn't more potent just because the speed of my cart is higher, which means my wording is quite (a lot) wrong in the OP. It does make a difference of hell horse vs horse tho.

Still, your comment is entirely off topic and has no point at all relevant to the actual point of the post.

If you want to have a discussion about how much those 2.5% does, then we can have that discussion, but elsewhere. Actually, I'd prefer if you found someone else to have that discussion with as it's not a discussion I'm that interested in having nor is it the point of this post.

If your point is something similar to "just use a different color. It's not like that speed increase matters that much anyway..", then I'd prefer if you realized that peoples mindset and what would make someone else feel bad about something might be different from you. There's plenty of min-maxers/meta gamers who simply feels bad about not using the min max option and this is a post that has a point adressing that. If your brain doesn't work this way then good for you, more power to you! But the fact that ebony/moltens are more expensive is clear proof that there are people who do and that I'm not alone in that regard.

Not sure why I had to spell it out for you (which apparently I had to do, since you seem to have missed the point), but spelling it out for you is my passive aggressive way of telling you to please comment something related to the point of the post or don't comment at all.

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 1

the bonus from ebony is often so little that it doesn't pass the threshold for the next speed (speed is calculated in multiples of 0.72km/h) so horses/carts often end up being exactly the same speed. It's not really that big of a bonus and people will often argue it doesn't do anything because of this lol, seems kind of pointless and a self-imposed restriction

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

It's not really that big of a bonus and people will often argue it doesn't do anything because of this lol, seems kind of pointless and a self-imposed restriction

Yes. It's a self imposed restriction, but that's just how some people work. For some people, it feels bad to not do the min max thing, even if that min max thing is a tiny increase.

Edited by Borstaskor

1 hour ago, Borstaskor said:

I got a few positive responses on some of my suggestions in the latest VI-post, so here's one of them copy pasted with some possible modifications:

The upside of having a rare color give extra performance is fun in certain aspects but it comes at the cost of min-maxers feeling like they can't aesthetically customize by using their favorite color/skin.

With the new proposed AH changes, we will get something that would fill the same niche/role/feeling that breeding a specific rare color currently fills; Breeding a specific rare trait.

This is a perfect opportunity to get rid of the bonus to ebony/molten and allow min-maxers to not have to choose between using ebony/moltens to min-max or feeling bad about using their favorite colors.

I love the nightshade skin of hell horses but I currently use moltens on my hell cart because, while the 2.5% speed isn't that big of a number, it still makes a difference on something that can reach the kind of speeds that my hell cart does.

Can we just add same bonus to cared-for creatures instead, limits to some extent the bonus, and will only be applies to actually most used creatures where it matters

Can be modified to only work if cared by 80/+ AH player; active premium.. all the fun weird stuff

But it makes a lot more sense and all who are active and care to get a bit more speed can get it this way.

25 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Can we just add same bonus to cared-for creatures instead, limits to some extent the bonus, and will only be applies to actually most used creatures where it matters

Can be modified to only work if cared by 80/+ AH player; active premium.. all the fun weird stuff

But it makes a lot more sense and all who are active and care to get a bit more speed can get it this way.

1. Thank you for staying on topic (commenting about if you agree/disagreee. Why/why not. Suggestions of changing the suggestion, etc.)

2. Your suggestion is not bad at all. My suggestion was based on the fact that it's probably very easy to change a few numbers/remove a few lines of code or whatever and it (presumably) wouldn't take that much coding time to throw in with the AH update. If people are ok with the devs putting in even more time/effort to revamp the speed bonus and add the bonus elsewhere, rather than spending that time on something else then I'm all for it too.
Edit: Some extra ideas to add to your idea: It's probably fine to not have an AH restriction on it but maybe make it so the speed bonus only applies to your own cared-for animals. AH level would give you the benefit of being able to care-for more creature, potentially using 4 care-for slots to add speed to a full wagon or things like that. It'd also counter the people who would create new f2p alts to care-for animals for this particular purpose (your main wouldn't get the speed bonus from your alt's cared for animal) and it'd also give the +1 care-for slot purchased with marks a tiny bit more value.

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 1

think of people with +x amount of prem active alts, they just use various animals and care for a haywire of creatures(probably, logic and tracking who did what is irrelevant if you pay x premiums, and they are active) if you use this or that horse/cart/wagon shouldn't matter

AS FOR AH... hope there's a speed perk from grooming animals.... that lasts over 1 hour... of the grooming cooldown... but even for 1h.. it will be ok-ish.. even though annoying to reapply every hour; sadly big doubt devs added anything like that

no super exclusive perks for premiums or highly skilled.. no active or passive perks.. for other than the rng breeding traits and caring(sadge)

-1 on this. yeah, so a couple colors are faster. So? but you want to get rid of the extra speed because what, you don't like those colors? and you admit that the speed increase is negligible, so why not use the colors you want if it's bothering you that much. Just seems like you're complaining about something that's not that big of a deal. and uh, aren't we getting a whole new rework on the traits and speed thing here in a week or two? at least wait til that comes out so you have something real to ###### complain about

• Like 1

What is OP's message to the people who spent a considerable amount of time breeding ebony horses?

+1, if I were lucky enough to have ebonys, they would be the only horses I would use/breed. Just because of price/practicality. New update will probably make current 5sp ebonys no longer the meta so such a change would make most sense now. 

I like the idea that there are rare, premium sub-breeds out there, even though I accept that tying speed to colour is unrealistic based on what we now of genetics.

But let's address the elephant in the room. Some people think that a small speed increase is worth more than a choice of colour. A subset of that group complain that they are being "forced" to get animals of a specific colour. But nobody is being forced to choose anything. Everyone can choose whether aesthetics or marginal performance is more important to them.

For the record, I also believe that arches ought to require fewer bricks than solid walls. Even though, on the face of it, this would "force" some players to build houses entirely out of arches, because they are cheaper