Sign in to follow this  
Votip

pronouns next to the nickname

Since we can choose our pronounces in official WO discord, shouldnt we also add option to show up our pronounces next to our nickname ingame?

Edited by Votip
  • Like 13
  • Cat 1

Add He/Him, She/her, and They/Them as title options! 

• Like 6

holy ###### best idea since release 

+1 please add asap

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

On 5/23/2021 at 9:07 PM, Archaed said:

Add He/Him, She/her, and They/Them as title options! 

Why stop there?

I myself find these pronoun options offensive due to the lack of diversity, there should be far more gender neutral pronoun options available.

Edited by AustinS
  • Like 3
  • Cat 3

on the condition that you are not allowed to change it more often then say once every 6 months. LGBTQ+ do not need another way to be trolled by the community at large

• Like 2

Do you mean in chat windows, or when you see someone in-game?

In game, I think that it isn't needed — you can see the avatar, and players got a choice of male/female on character creation (and/or when they used a golden mirror). Now if you'd wanted to argue that there should be a gender neutral avatar, then I absolutely support that.

In chat, I do support it. I've lost track of how many times I've been called "sir" by people who think they're being polite. Which makes it awkward to correct them...

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

Do you mean in chat windows, or when you see someone in-game?

In game, I think that it isn't needed — you can see the avatar, and players got a choice of male/female on character creation (and/or when they used a golden mirror). Now if you'd wanted to argue that there should be a gender neutral avatar, then I absolutely support that.

In chat, I do support it. I've lost track of how many times I've been called "sir" by people who think they're being polite. Which makes it awkward to correct them...

Same, Sheffie! I get called Bro a lot. :D And a gender neutral avatar! That's a really good idea, too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomatoes said:

on the condition that you are not allowed to change it more often then say once every 6 months. LGBTQ+ do not need another way to be trolled by the community at large

Should be a prompt on the golden mirror stage for all new avatars. I'm fine with a 6 month cooldown, IF you can toggle displaying pronouns or not with no cooldown.

• Like 2

What about having it show up in the menu that pops up when we right click on someone's name in the chats? Then it would be easy to find as needed but would not add clutter to the chat windows.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

What about having it show up in the menu that pops up when we right click on someone's name in the chats? Then it would be easy to find as needed but would not add clutter to the chat windows.

Wouldn't work for Kingdom chats or names in local though. I'd suggest adding it to the tooltip name-hover, but that wouldn't work for Kingdom chat either. So it would have to be in-line for at least server and global chat channels.

If implemented, please give an option to not use one at all. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tomatoes said:

Maybe you should stop discriminating genderfluid people on the public forum

7 hours ago, AustinS said:

I myself find these pronoun options offensive due to the lack of diversity, there should be far more gender neutral pronoun options available.

Agreed

I think that to be inclusive and intersectional, it would have to be thoughtfully implemented to include all people in all their beautiful variations. 

Trans and nonbinary and queer people have always existed. Assuming that they haven't is ignorance and bigotry as its in the historical record and even permeates religion and mythology. 

I think Wurm rules do a good job of promoting inclusivity, but agree that nonbinary or queer options for characters and such might help people understand that bigotry and transphobia have no place in the Wurm community--whether it be on discord, the forums, or in-game. 

• Like 3

Considering this is a fictional game world - just going to throw this out there:

Make all avatars one totally unrealistic shade, indiscriminate gender, and institute a new all-encompassing wurm-person-pronoun for everyone existing in the realm.

• Like 3
  • Cat 2

1 hour ago, platinumteef said:

😂 I love the total lack of any attempt to explain why. 🤟

5 hours ago, Idony said:

Considering this is a fictional game world - just going to throw this out there:

Make all avatars one totally unrealistic shade, indiscriminate gender, and institute a new all-encompassing wurm-person-pronoun for everyone existing in the realm.

This kind gets the point and misses the point at the same time. It's not about eliminating diversity, it's about approaching it positively.

What would Wurm be like if there was only one type of wall called "wall"; one type of weapon called "weapon"; one type of tool called "tool"; one type of crop; one type of m.o.b.; one type of food and no distinction between ore, rock and dirt? Perfectly "indiscriminate".

There's absolutely no reason why a "totally unrealistic shade, indiscriminate gender" avatar should not be an option. There's every reason why that should not be the only option.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Idony said:

Do we get some better clothes? This sounds fun. We are supposed to be aliens on some alien planet, right? 

I support Votip's pronoun suggestion and Idony's neutral Wurmian as well. Why not both? People should have the option to be themselves or a fantasy version of themselves. 

11 hours ago, Drayka said:

And gods that give you money for praying to them...

Wait, you're getting paid?!?!

Aside from that, instead of more UI clutter, how about an in-game profile available upon right-clicking name in chat? Gives us a chance to show off our sweet hats and masks, and clears up this pronoun issue, as well as other customization that could be a part of creation to individualize the character. 

Also, stop making my character wear pants. DRESSES & SKIRTS. Regardless of gender, we have all worn pants for far too long and kilts are a thing.

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 1

Wurm has 1000 more important issues than someone requiring some emotional self validation through a pronoun. 

At its core, it's an RPG game. RP if you want. But fix the bugs first, balance out rifts, do something about the dwindling player population on all servers,  add some new content, better marketing, maybe make freemium a viable player model to play, make a hybrid monetization model to increase player pop, pretend Epic actually exists and then maybe pronouns will be a real issue in Wurm.

This is why it's difficult to take any LGBT issue seriously. We have both in game and RL more pressing issues. But what do I know. 

Edited by Yldrania
Moderation Edit
  • Like 13