Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Priest Poll - Alts and Mains! Take part in the great priest census!

Priest Poll - Alts and Mains! Take part in the great priest census!  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the option below that best describes your CURRENT setup with regards to active PREMIUM toons on the SOUTH FREEDOM ISLANDS.

• Crafter main, 0 Priest alts
    • Crafter main, 1 Priest alt
    • Crafter main, 2 Priest alts
    • Crafter main, 3 Priest alts
    • Crafter main, 4+ Priest alts
    • Priest main, 0 Crafter alts
    • Priest main, 1+ Crafter alts
    • Do not play on this cluster
    • No premium toons on this cluster
  2. 2. Pick the option below that best describes your CURRENT setup with regards to active PREMIUM toons on the NORTH FREEDOM ISLANDS.

• Crafter main, 0 Priest alts
    • Crafter main, 1 Priest alt
    • Crafter main, 2 Priest alts
    • Crafter main, 3 Priest alts
    • Crafter main, 4+ Priest alts
    • Priest main, 0 Crafter alts
    • Priest main, 1+ Crafter alts
    • Do not play on this cluster
    • No premium toons on this cluster
  3. 3. How many toons do you CURRENTLY play in total?

• 6+

As you know, I currently collect player data on both the north and south clusters, I'm also a huge advocate of priest gameplay.  However, I sat down after my post this morning and realised that I'm making a lot of assumptions, are priest alts really rampant, or do they just FEEL like that?

So, here's the poll.  I'd be grateful if folks could help spread it beyond the forum audience, ask their alliance members and other players they know to take part.

I'm hoping it can shed some light on player habits (it might also let me make slightly better estimates of PLAYER counts rather than CHARACTER counts).

The responses are anonymous, in case you want to hide your wurm addiciton, the data will be used in an anonymised fashion.

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 5

I find that having priest alts is enhancing my gameplay! If I want to be totally laxed, I just play one priest, and throw an enchant every time I regen 50 favor. Need more engagement, I log on main char instead, need even more, I have two on, need more, I log three on, and so forth. It lets me balance the engagement I am interested in at the time. Life with alts is wonderful! :)

• Like 3

Only one active toon atm. But I have a bazillion alts that can be preemed if necessary.

• Like 1

similar as griper, only that I use to play with 2 charactes at special opportunities like rifts, or canal work, and all 3-4 premium characters at public slayings. On average, I may contibute to the unique logins per week count with at most 2 characters. I have a couple of never premmed or not recently premmed alts though.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that those of us who post on the forums and contribute to this poll are more invested in the game, therefore much more likely to have various alts; priests included. I'd argue there is a significantly higher amount of players who only have a crafter main than what will be shown here, simply because they're casual players who don't engage outside of the game.

An interesting poll nonetheless!

• Like 5

1 main and few storage alts, no priests because my peopel have them :)

• Like 1

Interesting yet expected: People on forums are very heavily weighted to SFI, since there are far more active players on NFI, yet this poll shows more votes from SFI only than NFI only players.

In other words, these forums are now a poor representation of the player base.  Any polls done here end up excluding the opinions of the majority, as they simply are unaware of it.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 5

Nice well laid-out poll, Ether. :) 

Remember some people have alts that they only premium *some* of the time, for example a Vyn to do a batch of casts over 15 days, or a Mag only used during the occasional mining project.  

These are PREMIUM toons, but they are not premium all the time.  Not sure how they would vote, because CURRENT suggests a snapshot in time i.e. right now today, not a pattern of behaviour over a year for example.

• Like 8

Yeah, would have to agree with Muse in the characterization of how i use my priest. I have 2 main worker toons that are always prem'd and a Vyn priest that has limited functionality (i.e. I hate grinding so it's pretty underpowered), and that priest is usually prem'd for 15 days at a time, with a couple weeks to couple months in between. I also have 3 more alts that I bring up very rarely, usually for a temp deed or whatever.

And to Wurmhole's point about there being more SFI people in the forums, well, so be it. If the NFI folk don't want to engage with the game, then why should I care? I don't and won't play on NFI, don't need a ton of newbs in my local messing up what I'm trying to do, nor do I need to pay the highly inflated prices over there. I've got a nice corner of Xan to myself, and I'm quite happy with that.

• Like 2

Take a look at the two tallies for "don't play on this cluster" - (the way they look after c60 votes).

It's striking that a huge number of responses say they don't play Northern cluster at all.  

Fact is that Northern cluster has more players at any given time, but many came from Steam, and this forum no longer represents the Wurm community so well as before.

EDIT: didn't notice Wurmhole had posted the exact same thing!

Edited by CistaCista
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, CistaCista said:

Take a look at the two tallies for "don't play on this cluster" - (the way they look after c60 votes).

It's striking that a huge number of responses say they don't play Northern cluster at all.  

Fact is that Northern cluster has more players at any given time, but many came from Steam, and this forum no longer represents the Wurm community so well as before.

More like NFI is the new Epic. It draws a big crowd, then after a while it drains out and people who started on it from SFI go back to their SFI accounts instead.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DaletheGood said:

If the NFI folk don't want to engage with the game, then why should I care? 

Actually alot of the NFI folk play wurm through steam and so the only forums that they might even know about are the steam forums. 

If you really want a bit better poll tally then you might need to create this topic over on the steam forums as well.

• Like 4

Well short ago some statistics were presented that never more than bit over 1200 steam accounts were playing wurm (around 242 now) . This is bit strange and does not spell as many characters as alts from the same steam account (possible with a minor trick) do count as one. But I doubt that so many of the new players have created alts .

Edit: When checking the steam WO forum, it is not remotely as alive as these forums, but our forums are linked too not so seldom so they are hardly unknown.

Edited by Ekcin
figure corrected
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

these forums are now a poor representation of the player base.  Any polls done here end up excluding the opinions of the majority, as they simply are unaware of it.

This right here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sindusk said:

More like NFI is the new Epic. It draws a big crowd, then after a while it drains out and people who started on it from SFI go back to their SFI accounts instead.

More like it gets bigger and bigger and you have to move over here ;)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Interesting yet expected: People on forums are very heavily weighted to SFI, since there are far more active players on NFI, yet this poll shows more votes from SFI only than NFI only players.

In other words, these forums are now a poor representation of the player base.  Any polls done here end up excluding the opinions of the majority, as they simply are unaware of it.

I feel this is true as well, and I've been trying to figure out why that is so we could solve it. Do you have any ideas? I was thinking maybe if the forums were accessible ingame and potentially cleaned up a bit if that would increase engagement.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Zuelatak said:

I feel this is true as well, and I've been trying to figure out why that is so we could solve it. Do you have any ideas? I was thinking maybe if the forums were accessible ingame and potentially cleaned up a bit if that would increase engagement.

I was thinking the same thing.  Many people never go to forums and just want to do everything ingame and with ingame tools.  "Forum is for cheaters" kind of thing?  Maybe like my cousin, they just hate a forum layout.  However, I doubt devs want to spend time to link forums into the client.  Probably just takes some time for the NFI folks to start noticing forums and get hooked on them.

Main reason for my comment higher up was to make sure people recognize that polls here just don't fully represent the player base now and that unrepresented player base is very important.  Some may think they don't matter, but they do for the life and future development of the game.  Every player was an annoying noob at one point, but we grow over time or leave the game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zuelatak said:

It's Discord. Gone are the days of forums for the most part.

• Like 1

Could just broadcast messages in game linking the forum, "Join this art competition to win prizes: <link>" , "Come vote in this poll to decide the future of the game <link>", "Remember Rolf? Here's what he looks like now: <link>", "5 secrets the GMs don't want you to know: <link>".

Or you know, less joke stuff more relevant stuff like announcing impalong start countdowns with forum links, etc. There's a bajillion ways to get people to get on the forums and take part in discussions.

Edited by Antony
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

And to Wurmhole's point about there being more SFI people in the forums, well, so be it. If the NFI folk don't want to engage with the game, then why should I care? 

Ouch. Actually they are "engaged with the game". They are playing the game right now. You, on the other hand, are on the forum.

The point is, devs get their money from players that are in the game rather than players being on the forum. If those two cease to be the same population, then it wouldn't make sense for devs to listen to anything that is said on the forum.

Edited by CistaCista
  • Like 2

Well this poll has already suggested a lot (the sample size is fairly decent):

1.  The majority of people who engage with "town square" threads on the forum have at least one alt.

2.  That player group are also less likely to play on NFI. 

3.  Priest mains are universally unpopular with that player group.

4.  That player group is almost as likely to play 6+ toons as it is 1 (i.e. it has a large "whale" percentage)

5.  On SFI, a player is as likely to have 4 priest alts as they are to play a solo priest (that one kind of shocked me!)

6.  Such players may be more likely to solo toon on NFI, but solo priests are still rare.

Given that this is a sample, I'd have to do a bit of stats (which looks to involve getting my book out for oddly skewed discrete distributions), but this sample certainly appears to suggest that priests are primarily alts with this demographic, and that (whether intentional or not) the game's design may have encouraged this.

I could really use more data though, especially from steam players (if someone could link this to their forum that would be much appreciated!).

• Like 2