Sign in to follow this  
Smokes

Ability to produce specialized items (Skins) when high skilled

Hello Wurmians, 

The latest AH update rewards you by grinding AH past the usual 50 mark to be able to add more traits that cost more points.

I was talking to a friend (Rihanna) and we came up with an idea.   

A large majority of items can be made by grinding a skill to 30-50 in that category.  Very few require higher skilled then that.  For example, most people don't grind fine carpentry past 50 (for BCUs).  Although some do level past that to be able to imp tools and make runes, the incentive isn't really there.

Why not either allow these skins to be crafted by higher skilled players instead, instead of spending precious Marks!

I see 2 ways of doing this:

Have Skin 1 unlock at 90 Skill in Plate Armor Smithing

Skin 2 @ 95

Skin 3 @ 96

And so on

Or personal favorite: introduce a leaderboard, similar to niarja (where players can opt to remain anonymous) and say the top 5% skilled players gets to create specific skins in their craft.  

This would add a level of competition and would also give incentives to get players to grind to 90+.

We know there's skins already released to the crafting professions like helms, and weapon skins.   Furniture skins can be added to Carp and Fine carp items,  Ship skins, could even make cool forge skins for masons.  

I see many of benefits to implementing a system like this:   More trading, more interactions between players, more players grinding (means more players with premium time!).   

Thoughts?

• Like 4

I kinda like it. I'd bet many PvE players would be willing to pay for a player to craft them a skin, rather than a very high ql tool/weapon/armor, as those have very little impact on PvE gameplay.

But cosmetics? Hell yeah!

Edited by Sam_J
  • Like 2

I do like the idea, but I feel like, similar to your second part, that the skins should be mostly exclusive to that skill. So like, plate skins for platesmiths, weapons for weaponsmiths, ect. Not sure about the whole 90 thing tho. Doesnt the real grind start around 80? I guess my only concern would be a new player seeing that cap and go "Nah ###### that."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ravenoffaith said:

I do like the idea, but I feel like, similar to your second part, that the skins should be mostly exclusive to that skill. So like, plate skins for platesmiths, weapons for weaponsmiths, ect. Not sure about the whole 90 thing tho. Doesnt the real grind start around 80? I guess my only concern would be a new player seeing that cap and go "Nah ###### that."

I guess it doesn't appeal to the newer player, but that's the point.  It's an added benefit to those that grind well past the needed skill.  Hardcore if you will?  End game skins?

+1

So long as these skins are available to all who achieve the skill requirement; I don't care for the idea of locking them behind a leaderboard. Should also take a good amount of work to create, otherwise they'd flood the market.

Also had an idea a while back where the marks store sold the "blueprints" for each skin, that would then allow you to create the skin any number of times after using the blueprint. 

I'd rather they remain exclusive to the marks store. It'll keep them as rare financial investments. And they make for a good incentive to pay for premium.

• Like 1

I'd argue a good incentive to pay for premium is an added in game goal of unlocking said skins?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Smokes said:

I'd argue a good incentive to pay for premium is an added in game goal of unlocking said skins?

For this proposition, only one player would need to be prem, in order to craft them.

Marks on the other hand, are on a totally different ballpark. Marks aren't infinite, or limited to crafting resources or time. You've got to put money into prem for it, or pay a pretty penny for the skin from someone else. A wide liking and wanting of a marks store skin requires multiple players or accounts just to supply a small part of a potential market.

I'd also argue that 95 skill isn't even high enough to be able to make a cosmetic item honestly. I'd reserve that for 99 and 100 in a skill.

I think we all know this is a pie in the sky idea regardless.

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask for new higher-difficulty items that use the same recipe and functionality, but have a higher difficulty and are a different model?

Save the skins for marks - they can be applied to any applicable item (not quite sure how they work) - and craft pre-skinned stuff.

Basically like mediation rugs - normal/fine/beautiful/exquisite - or tapestries colour/model.

2 hours ago, Drayka said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask for new higher-difficulty items that use the same recipe and functionality, but have a higher difficulty and are a different model?

Yes!  This would work as well!