Sign in to follow this  
Calan

Protecting horse when taking a break when you don't have a deed

I'm taking a break from Wurm and auctioning off my deed, so won't be able to keep any animals branded. I'm wondering what my options are (if any) to keep my main riding horse 'mine' in case I come back in the future.

I've cared for and tamed her and ensured she signs out when I do, but am I right in thinking that doesn't really make her 'mine', and that anyone could still lead her if I'm not leading her? If I sign in a few months later to find the land I'm on has been settled, will I have any problem in leading/riding my horse? What if I'm in the wilderness when I sign in and someone's coincidentally nearby; could they lead her if they do it before I do?

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by Calan

Having a horse tamed is risky due to mob attacks in the wild, horses are very weak. But if you have the horse tamed and cared for, go into a starter town, log out there, it will stay your pet. And if you let it log out with you, it will stay indefinitely without risk of accident.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

Having a horse tamed is risky due to mob attacks in the wild, horses are very weak. But if you have the horse tamed and cared for, go into a starter town, log out there, it will stay your pet. And if you let it log out with you, it will stay indefinitely without risk of accident.

Yh as long as it's 1 animal. tame it and log out in a starter town so you can still lead it when you login (making sure it logs out with you).

for more than one animal (horses and bison) make large carts and hitch them to it. (doesn't protect them from starving, might be less likely in a steppe)

If you have a friend who is going to carry on playing, consider asking them to look after your horse on their deed - they get the use of your cared for horse (for riding or breeding), and in turn they keep it fed until you return.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

If you let a tamed animal log out with you, it only stay logged out as long as taming stay on them

I had an animal lost taming while I was out over night, and then the animal logged in while I was still off game, and ofcourse wander off so I couldnt even find it when I came back to game 

so loogin out with animal tamed for long time aint good, I dont think anyone in game got such good tamingskills so animal will stay tamed  indefinitely

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maiya said:

If you let a tamed animal log out with you, it only stay logged out as long as taming stay on them

I had an animal lost taming while I was out over night, and then the animal logged in while I was still off game, and ofcourse wander off so I couldnt even find it when I came back to game 

Oh, it's possible for an animal to lose taming when logged out and pop back in-game? If so, then I guess there's not much I can do but say goodbye to my horse, too!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Calan said:

I guess there's not much I can do but say goodbye to my horse, too!

You can allways do this:

12 minutes ago, Muse said:

If you have a friend who is going to carry on playing, consider asking them to look after your horse on their deed - they get the use of your cared for horse (for riding or breeding), and in turn they keep it fed until you return.

Or ask if the new owner of deed (if you sell ) if your horse can stay there

and if you can get it back if you come back to game 

Thanks, Maiya, for the correction. I did not know (should have figured) that creatures lose taming when logged out. Just recall that a minimum deed costs 12s/year which is not really a lot. Also, one may ask another player to join it during absence with all permissions, and take at least a bit of the upkeep. Btw. a cared for creature does not die from starvation iirc.

• Like 1

Sorry, I thought it was obvious -- I was looking for advice on whether there were in-game mechanics that would let me come back later and still have a horse.

Leaving with friends isn't an option I'm interested in exploring. First, I don't like imposing on friends. Second, most of the friends I had have left and I doubt anyone I know now will still be playing if I do come back in the future.

The last time I took a break from Wurm it lasted a good five years, and no one knew personally then is still around. Not only would I be surprised if any of the few people I still chat with were actually still playing if I were to come back a few years from now, but I wouldn't want them feeling obligated to keep track of my horse for years to come, given I doubt I'll be back anytime soon.

• Like 1

as far as I know you can hitch the horse to a tent and it will remain safe but if you go away for 5 yrs I don't think you should expect to have a horse on return

3 minutes ago, KillerSpike said:

as far as I know you can hitch the horse to a tent and it will remain safe but if you go away for 5 yrs I don't think you should expect to have a horse on return

Tents offdeed decay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smokes said:

Tents offdeed decay.

I never said they did not decay. but it is a solution if you go away for a few days. they don't decay that fast

There is no mechanic for this. If there was, we'd have a problem with accumulation of immortal and inaccessible animals filling up the servers over time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vorticella said:

There is no mechanic for this. If there was, we'd have a problem with accumulation of immortal and inaccessible animals filling up the servers over time.

We have immortal animals through caring. And if your pet stayed your pet indefinitely, so stayed offline, you wouldn’t have a problem with ‘accumulation of immortal and inaccessible animals’ any more than you have the problem with accumulation of decayless and inaccessible gear being held by characters that never sign back in. 

When I asked my question, I incorrectly thought your pet stayed your pet indefinitely when you both signed out, so would never pop back online until you did; I was asking about permissions, because I wasn’t sure how it’d work if I popped back in game a year or two later with the horse, given I wouldn’t pop in already leading it. Now I know my horse would eventually become untame and pop back in the world, so my question is moot.

Mods, please feel free to lock.

4 hours ago, Muse said:

This is the option I'd strongly recommend.  It's been successful for those friends I've had who played in the game and chose to depart for some time (many still gone).

Just be sure the friend is going to remain playing Wurm Online with a deed long-term, and not one that will get bored and leave themselves in the near future.

Added: Sorry to see this option won't work for you. Perhaps seek out a player who has a good reputation among the community for fair play and give it to them for holding/using it until the future when you're able to rejoin and be active again.

Edited by Tristanc
addendum added based on later post

40 minutes ago, Calan said:

We have immortal animals through caring. And if your pet stayed your pet indefinitely, so stayed offline, you wouldn’t have a problem with ‘accumulation of immortal and inaccessible animals’ any more than you have the problem with accumulation of decayless and inaccessible gear being held by characters that never sign back in. 

Caring doesn't prevent other players from leading, branding, or killing the animal, so they may be immortal or nearly immortal when it comes to age, but they aren't inaccessible to others when free in the world like they are if they are branded. 

Edited by Vorticella

6 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

Caring doesn't prevent other players from leading, branding, or killing the animal, so they may be immortal or nearly immortal when it comes to age, but they aren't inaccessible to others when free in the world like they are if they are branded. 

Exactly my point in posting originally - I was worried that I would lose permission to my horse when we both appeared back in-game, as I wouldn't be leading it and a deed could've popped up in the meantime. So I was posted seeking confirmation and advice, and Maiya thankfully and kindly pointed out to me that taming my horse wouldn't last and it'd pop-back into the world without me anyway.

Personally, I think Wurm could benefit from a mechanic to allow people who leave to choose a single animal to retain when they come back, just as you can load up your character with your best gear and know you'll have still have it should you ever decide to come back later. It'd be one less obstacle to returning players, and I assume encouraging players to return is a good thing?

Anyway, that's clearly a suggestion, so sorry for going off-topic in my own post! :D

• Like 1

That would definitely make returning easier! I died almost immediately when I logged in after my long break, and it would have easily been prevented if I could have withdrawn my old horse from the "creature bank". Sounds like something for the suggestions page :) 

• Like 1

The only thing I could think of is to get a large cart imped really high and get your horse hitched to that and hope that the cart won't decay until you return. If your break will be for 5 years, then rip.

• Like 1

1. New update soon so your horse may not be worth mutch then anyway.

2. Getting a new horse wouldnt be the biggest problem.

Othe then this the only solution i can see is a offdeed house or a cart imped up. Still need you to log in once in awhile to check on decay and repair if you will be away for a long time.

It's just a horse dude... They are everywhere. Even if it's 5 speed, just sell it then use that money to buy another when you come back

What's the big deal? 

27 minutes ago, atazs said:

It's just a horse dude... They are everywhere. Even if it's 5 speed, just sell it then use that money to buy another when you come back

What's the big deal? 

Thanks for the advice.