Sign in to follow this  
Guest seesaw

Wurm Economy suggestions

What I think should be done is an event in the storyline that basically says the premium servers have become developed enough that the homeland of the kingdom is interested in trading with them

Say for example on wild you have maybe 2 or 3 outposts established per kingdom at different locations where there will be merchants that anyone could access, who have a nearly inexhaustible money supply to buy things with, but who, due to transportation costs, tariffs, and competitive homeland markets, really shaft you by paying really low prices for goods. 

What you would also want is changing prices for goods or sort of a simulated market in the homeland and the more goods sold to merchants, the less they are willing to pay for them.  The storyline could be that the kingdoms have adopted a system of mercantalism and one company has the privilege to trade with the colony and thus every outpost the company has offers the same prices.

These merchants could also offer products like Silk, Ivory, Gems etc

Large deeds could get an outpost but the only advantage it would offer is a convenient location

I read somewhere that they were considering (or may have implemented it, I'm not sure I've taken time off wurm for college) that you would have the option to pay for premium time with in game money.  This is a good idea but do not make it a 1-1 ratio maybe make premium cost 10-15 silver a month instead of 5 or something to that effect same thing with the idea for converting in game currency to Euros

This would have several advantages:

It would create an economic incentive to switch to a less populated kingdom (because there would be fewer competitors in the market)

It would allow rolf to tweak the economy more by setting prices(he control them at whim and use formulas)

It would create a demand for goods

It would make items that were otherwise basically a novelty for example wine and yoyo's useful

I also had another idea this is alot more ambitious and may not be in the spirit of wurm

So you are able to sell goods to your kingdom's homeland well where you can go from there is make is so you can hire laborer npcs that immigrate from the homeland, these workers would be payed wages and an individual worker would be specialized in something so for example a farmer could plant, farm and harvest the field

Before people arrived though you would need to have market stalls that sell food and buildings that you can rent out for them to live in

The workers would cost money but they would spend the money in your town on rent and food and other goods the more money they made the higher ql food and bigger/nicer house they would demand, the low skilled workers would probably live in shacks by themselves while the high skilled workers would live in houses with their family

What I would do is make the workers unrealistically unproductive so that a player could easily produce much greater quantities of goods in the same amount of time and give the workers unrealistically ravenous appetites so they demand large houses and high ql food just to make it balanced

But ultimately how much money the merchants were paying for goods would determine whether or not the workers are really viable

I think it would be cool to see residential districts and it would increase the utility of buildings because other then beds and storage buildings are almost a novelty

you could then hire guards and that would probably be the responsibility of the mayor to protect the town so the mayor would then need to collect taxes

and the idea earlier mentioned about converting silver into Euros could attract players into wurm thinking they could profit from it only to find once they enter the game that it isn't as lucrative as they had thought and rolf could control the conversion rate based on the money supply in game

so this would change the role of the advanced wurmian from a laborer to a manager and from a soldier to an officer if you could take npcs into combat with you

difficult, definitely especially balancing

unrealistic, probably

impossible, no it could be done considering the game is practically text based

I think people are attracted by lofty possibilities, I was on golden valley playing with a friend who I didn't know irl but got me into wurm, one of the things that most attracted me to wild is the story he told me about when his village had plundered another village drained their deed and then actually took a prisoner, who decided it was worth it to work for a few hours rather then losing all of his stuff so the prospect of becoming a wemp tycoon and actually making real life money would attract someone to play and then as I did they would find out that they wouldn't ever actually accomplish that

:-[ i didn't see that forum should I repost in that forum and ask for this one to be deleted or wait for someone to move it?

What I think should be done is an event in the storyline that basically says the premium servers have become developed enough that the homeland of the kingdom is interested in trading with them

Say for example on wild you have maybe 2 or 3 outposts established per kingdom at different locations where there will be merchants that anyone could access, who have a nearly inexhaustible money supply to buy things with, but who, due to transportation costs, tariffs, and competitive homeland markets, really shaft you by paying really low prices for goods. 

What you would also want is changing prices for goods or sort of a simulated market in the homeland and the more goods sold to merchants, the less they are willing to pay for them.  The storyline could be that the kingdoms have adopted a system of mercantalism and one company has the privilege to trade with the colony and thus every outpost the company has offers the same prices.

These merchants could also offer products like Silk, Ivory, Gems etc

Large deeds could get an outpost but the only advantage it would offer is a convenient location

I read somewhere that they were considering (or may have implemented it, I'm not sure I've taken time off wurm for college) that you would have the option to pay for premium time with in game money.  This is a good idea but do not make it a 1-1 ratio maybe make premium cost 10-15 silver a month instead of 5 or something to that effect same thing with the idea for converting in game currency to Euros

This would have several advantages:

It would create an economic incentive to switch to a less populated kingdom (because there would be fewer competitors in the market)

It would allow rolf to tweak the economy more by setting prices(he control them at whim and use formulas)

It would create a demand for goods

It would make items that were otherwise basically a novelty for example wine and yoyo's useful

tl;dr: Give traders infinite money, reduce get prices to compensate

I also had another idea this is alot more ambitious and may not be in the spirit of wurm

So you are able to sell goods to your kingdom's homeland well where you can go from there is make is so you can hire laborer npcs that immigrate from the homeland, these workers would be payed wages and an individual worker would be specialized in something so for example a farmer could plant, farm and harvest the field

Before people arrived though you would need to have market stalls that sell food and buildings that you can rent out for them to live in

The workers would cost money but they would spend the money in your town on rent and food and other goods the more money they made the higher ql food and bigger/nicer house they would demand, the low skilled workers would probably live in shacks by themselves while the high skilled workers would live in houses with their family

What I would do is make the workers unrealistically unproductive so that a player could easily produce much greater quantities of goods in the same amount of time and give the workers unrealistically ravenous appetites so they demand large houses and high ql food just to make it balanced

But ultimately how much money the merchants were paying for goods would determine whether or not the workers are really viable

I think it would be cool to see residential districts and it would increase the utility of buildings because other then beds and storage buildings are almost a novelty

you could then hire guards and that would probably be the responsibility of the mayor to protect the town so the mayor would then need to collect taxes

and the idea earlier mentioned about converting silver into Euros could attract players into wurm thinking they could profit from it only to find once they enter the game that it isn't as lucrative as they had thought and rolf could control the conversion rate based on the money supply in game

so this would change the role of the advanced wurmian from a laborer to a manager and from a soldier to an officer if you could take npcs into combat with you

difficult, definitely especially balancing

unrealistic, probably

impossible, no it could be done considering the game is practically text based

I think people are attracted by lofty possibilities, I was on golden valley playing with a friend who I didn't know irl but got me into wurm, one of the things that most attracted me to wild is the story he told me about when his village had plundered another village drained their deed and then actually took a prisoner, who decided it was worth it to work for a few hours rather then losing all of his stuff so the prospect of becoming a wemp tycoon and actually making real life money would attract someone to play and then as I did they would find out that they wouldn't ever actually accomplish that

tl;dr: add worker/soldier NPCs

Thanks Danar.

+/-1 to the first idea.  Still needs some kind of limit.

-1 to second idea.

tl;dr: Give traders infinite money, reduce get prices to compensate

yes but with diminishing returns as you sell more quantities and it would be as though everyone trades with one supertrader

so everyone would be diminishing the returns on the items sold and the prices offered would be really low.

I do think the justification is realistic: a few million people back in your home country, do you really think that you are going to exhaust that demand.

Right now everyone wants to hold onto their money and I think it should be you make what you're good at, sell it and buy most of your stuff

I was thinking a company that had monopoly privileges granted by the king would be realistic as the mercantilist system was common in medieval Europe 

So a large/developed company would have these outposts but it probably wouldn't be that developed just yet

So maybe they would just have a caravel that parks itself for 12 hours or so maybe once every IRL week probably for MR it could be one at the gold coast and one at some spot on the south western part of the island and whoever had a big enough deed a caravel would show up at their place to or at the closest spot on the coast

Also I think right now players could establish a banking system although you could only really lend to people who you knew wouldn't quit so pretty much only the community veterans could get loans

edit: you could collateralize loans and it would be a hassle if someone reneged because you would have to find a buyer for the item

nobody has the savings right now and of course in order to make loans it would have to be fractional reserve banking

It would be one of the funniest things ever to see a bank run in wurm, everybody lined up outside the bank the banker telling everyone in chat not to worry about their savings account and then ultimately seeing the bank go under and a bunch of  off people in chat

Also something we haven't seen in wurm is insurance policies which could be done by players if all the insurance company has to do is replace the thing then this is even more plausible then banking

I do think they might run into problems with insurance fraud though maybe it would work for things like boats the company would go on the forum and conduct an investigation to see if the boat was stolen due to irresponsibility on the part of the boat owner

Someone of you know Runescape ?

They have thge huge markethall for trade between all the peoples and servers of the game that easiely allow every player to buy and sell stuff up to 6 different trades active (for prem users) at the same time.

They have thge huge markethall for trade between all the peoples and servers of the game that easiely allow every player to buy and sell stuff up to 6 different trades active (for prem users) at the same time.

O hey didnt that ruin the game? Yup.

O hey didnt that ruin the game? Yup.

Runescape? the game where when your done with all the lame non-prem quests all you have left to do is make money by mining and sitting at that big ugly market all day? that was 3 years ago, I don't think there is anything wrong with the wurm economy.