Sign in to follow this  
Drayka

A blind-baked vision for affinity food - by popular demand

Honestly I am not ready to be talking about this yet, because it's intended to be fully integrated with a priest overhaul. However, "Vox populi, vox dei." You'll just have to bear with me as I reference the scope and sheer breadth of the planned integration.

The original inspiration, many years back, was the RL-xmas julbord. Very Spirit of Christmas Present (Charles Dickens, a Christmas Carol) Since then, I've become more familiar with the PvP mechanics of the game, and the concept of deity encouraged warfare and missions. And full house pizza, which didn't exist back when I first played.

The superdeities themselves, "Creation", "Water", "Fire", "Destruction", have endeared themselves equally to me, and all express themselves in the human, and Wurmian, need for food and drink to function effectively. Both literally and metaphorically. Even the inherent imbalance of WL and BL, with it's balance between balance and imbalance; the hypocrisy of piety, and its centripedal bias is now obviously correct.

By wogic we are challenged, and by wogic we are liberated. It's all very zen. So why is Wurm Online not flourishing, when its most fundamental principles are beyond reproach?

Altars - religion as she is practiced traditionally. I ADORE the irreverence of treating a Wurm altar as a Trash heap - it's just so ironically insightful! Wurm got me into looking at religion, and Wurm gives me the medium to protest its narrow interpretation and function.

Some of you may be familiar with the German greeting of Mahlzeit, which has only recently come to my attention. Translated literally, it can be taken as meal-time - and meal is also the product of grinding grain in both German and English. Ironically, Milling is a particularly easy skill in Wurm in terms of high-quality product - beautiful coding!

The NPC economics of Wurm have always struggled, and were prone to being exploited by a few who could afford to invest and treat Traders as cash cows. Wagoneers are new, but again for the established rich, and not those who are most in need of them.

So what I am going to outline here, is a new type of altar whose function is so reinterpreted as to be almost unrecognisable.

I am calling it a Node, and collectively the Nexus.

A Node isn't something that is a discrete item with a fixed graphic, but itself a collection of items Linked together. Like a deed, but completely different, and capable of being infinitely unique in build. And as long as either the Altar of Three or the Bone Altar exist on a cluster (not a server), the Nexus is 'online'.

The overall-assessed quality of a Node you access - which can be discovered by examining the intrinsic focal point, but itself cannot be improved directly - directly influences your access to renewing boons of timed affinity.

Your entire skill tree and playtime will also taken into account. It's going to be very esoteric how all really works. A grand puzzle to unravel. But there will be some associated NPCs that will guide you - if a little chaotically - on how to improve your relationship with Wurm. You do not have to be a Follower to benefit, you are simply viewed as a different and important part of the overall system. This would also do away with default "fixed Follower and Priest restrictions" and replace it with something far more dynamic, partially in your direct control, and partially responsive to subtle influences from the entire cluster.

Meaning, in simple terms of timed affinity, when interacting with a Node, you'll have slots of guaranteed renewable timed affinity that are skill and Intent dependent, but you will also - superfically randomly - get timed affinities from the Nexus that you can take advantage of or ignore.

This won't stop you from being able to consume affinity food and drink for timed affinities - in some situations that will still be highly desirable practise - but it will no longer be the meta, or the be all and end-all of skillgain buffs. But, it will INCREASE demand for a wide variety of timed affinity foods and beverages of all qualities and timers (and even decays). Alchemical products would also be expanded at the same time.

The most noticeable change to everyone, would be that the water bar is no longer a static colour. Traditional priests would also see that their favor bar isn't a static colour. And those who then choose to dedicate themselves to serving the Nexus, would not get a favor bar at all, but something entirely new.

That's a limited overview of the long-term goal, sans any specific details, for those enquiring minds who want-to-know-now.

Happy Wurming!

Edited by Drayka

....what?

i cannot make sense of this post at all, what is the suggestion? i can vaguely piece together that it's... something that gives timed affinities

Edited by RainRain

A response to people who have been pointedly requiring an answer as to why I'm spamming the suggestions forum with 'useless' cooking recipes that won't do anything to change the way timed affinities currently work for the better, in and of themselves. Hence the 'by popular demand'.

People who ask me to explain my reasoning for behaving the way I do are worthy of my best attempt at an answer, but I can't guarantee that the way my brain works will make sense to anyone, including me.

It makes suggesting things other than simple recipes, and especially addressing questions about the reasoning behind it, extremely challenging to format intelligibly.

In fact, the only people who have ever said that I explain things excellently, also have Asperger's. I guess they needed a translator, but I might as well be speaking an alien language to anyone else.

Edited by Drayka