Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Feeding time!

Five pages in and I feel the most important question hasn't been asked:

If it is actually 23 brand new traits, will we be spending a couple of years* trying to guess what each of them does?  Or will there be some sort of manual.

*  did anyone ever describe in detail how "Keen senses" works? 

31 minutes ago, CistaCista said:

*  did anyone ever describe in detail how "Keen senses" works? 

When a tamed animal with keen senses is standing on a water tile it has a chance to do an emote that can be seen in the event window.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/183770-valrei-international-barnyard-business/&do=findComment&comment=1850097

I tried leading and riding one across a known tile hundreds of times with no luck and even standing it on one saddled for half an hour, but.... apparently it's a thing. Whether that thing is worth a trait slot is entirely another matter as it would seem the actual chance of it triggering is low unless it is parked on  a water tile, using it to find one via this system seems farcial at best. I guess you could happen to see the emote when the animal is roaming in a pen with a tile and that could help, the wisdom of having a tamed animal in said pen, well, not something i would advise doing. 😛

Edited by Delone
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Delone said:

When an animal with keen senses is standing on a water tile it has a chance to do an emote that can be seen in the event window.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/183770-valrei-international-barnyard-business/&do=findComment&comment=1850097

I tried leading and riding one across a known tile hundreds of times with no luck and even standing it on one saddled for half an hour, but.... apparently it's a thing. Whether that thing is worth a trait slot is entirely another matter as it would seem the actual chance of it triggering is low unless it is parked on  a water tile, using it to find one via this system seems farcial at best. I guess you could happen to see the emote when the animal is roaming in a pen with a tile and that could help 😛

I have tested it and seen it work. I tamed a pig with keen senses and put it on a tile I already knew was a water source. After a while it did a special emote (a purr or something, I can't remember exactly). I think the event is triggered when the animal gets hungry and is seeking food, and it has to be tamed for it to happen. It's a cute thing to try once but for actually finding a water source it's infinitely easier to just use a pendulum.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CistaCista said:

Five pages in and I feel the most important question hasn't been asked:

If it is actually 23 brand new traits, will we be spending a couple of years* trying to guess what each of them does?  Or will there be some sort of manual.

I hope so, but I have a feeling that we will have to find out ourselves. Otherwise they could possibly have shown us a few traits every 1-2 weeks for the last few months in order to build up some excitement/anticipation for this update over a longer period of time.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

I have been excited for this animal update. I fear this is going to be as convoluted as the fishing update. I sure hope I'm wrong!

My apologies, and im sure im not the only one seeing this, but its MORE convoluted then the fishing update.

The one thing i keep hearing is 'oh woe is me, we have to learn a hole new system'. Unfortunately dudes and dudettes, that's PART of the GAME.

if you all can treat it like the learning experience it is, it wont be so bad. and heck you might even enjoy it.

and ya, i get it, not all of us have an easy time learning new things.....dont know about you all, but im going to try anyways.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

My apologies, and im sure im not the only one seeing this, but its MORE convoluted then the fishing update.

How so? The category system seems to make it pretty straightforward. If you focus on one category while breeding then you will more easily pass those traits on, so it sounds like making specialized animals for a specific goal shouldn't be all that difficult. Then if you want to you can likely try to breed some useful misc traits into it, but that hardly seems necessary and is probably mostly interesting for people whom really want to dive really deep into this system. A system with optional depth like that is actually quite good, and the complete opposite of the fishing update.

Also, and this will be brand new for Wurm Online, you will be able to tell by the graphics used for the horse whether it's the 'hot-blooded'. 'warm-blooded'. or 'cold-blooded' model to know if it has traits primarily for speed, hauling, or other.  This goes for even if you're a brand new character without any Animal Husbandry skill gained and can be seen from a distance, not only when you're close enough to click on it to examine.

I personally think this aspect of it is a very nice addition, even if there are questions about other aspects of the Animal Update.

• Like 4

I'm very excited about this update.

I'm wondering by the way if the feeding bowls/troughs will slow decay of food. If it's still very quick, it might partially hinder it's own goal of making it easier to feed our critters.

• Like 4

is this update going to affect the animal/tile ratio on our deeds or will we need to increase the size of our deeds in order to keep a decent number of animals in order to breed quality animals?  just wondering  I am quite excited for this update and thank you all for all the time and hard work that im sure has gone into it. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Resource - Effect output for things like wool and milk, as well as the quality and quantity of butchered products.

Quality of wool is going to be affected? milk?

Currently just breeding sheep for AH skilling ( to get high ql wool )

A) Can we get a list of traits from the devs ? 

B ) How badly will this screw pvp? 

C) If fo priests will now be mandatory for genesis / removing bad traits, can we at least lower the % change to get negative traits based on AH? It's too random in the old system. 

D) Can those "23 new traits list" be removed from pvp servers since clearly the sentiment is already against them ? 

E) Did any of the devs that worked on this have ever worked on pvp content for Wurm to see the negative ramifications of 23 new traits? 

• Like 4

The in game update to the Wurm WIki looks really good.  Even better now with pictures too!

Animals with traits and stuff.  Okay, cool.  So long as my horses are the same speeds as before.  That's all I care about ~   Though I must say that the feeding trays and food stuff for the animals is pretty cool seeing them coming to feed. That would mean that you could have a big area with animals in to roam around in and they would come to the feeding tray to get some grub. Nice.

I do not fully understand what is the problem with the traits on PvP. PvPers are consuming horses like mad so it should not be a problem to adapt to new breeding methods (other than the need to learn). I agree to the problem with negative traits, but that should spell protecting breeding special livestock better against raids.

• Like 1

This looks really good, looking forward to check it out when it goies live.

One thing im a bit worried about is what this will do with the animals count on the server.

Seems like more animals will be stored on deed, does this effect wild animals numbers?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Zexos said:

Animals with traits and stuff.  Okay, cool.  So long as my horses are the same speeds as before.  That's all I care about ~

They won't be.

17 hours ago, Jore said:

They won't be.

vader.jpg

Nooooooooooooooo

Edited by Yldrania
Moderation Edit

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

I do not fully understand what is the problem with the traits on PvP. PvPers are consuming horses like mad so it should not be a problem to adapt to new breeding methods (other than the need to learn). I agree to the problem with negative traits, but that should spell protecting breeding special livestock better against raids.

I don't understand the issue there either. Especially when you take into account that a speed category horse will have a better chance of passing on it's speed traits, and also when taking into account that rare trait which produces identical twins on birth. Sounds perfect when there's a high demand of speed horses, but perhaps I'm missing something.

• Like 1

If we can't use the mules or donkeys for pack animals then they are just like getting a new horse imo ..not exciting unless pack able IMO

They are viable mounts for f2p, other than the (for this purpose) useless bovines. Other uses one will see.

I wonder if the haystacks will need 80 or 90 Thatching to make?

Edited by Icarium
  • Cat 2

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

We're basing this on the assumption speed traits will be passed on to offspring with the new system. Atm we don't know what bugs we might encounter.

But 23 new traits = more RNG in the system when it comes to breeding speed horses for pvp. Yes pvpers burn through a lot of horses. This means a higher churn rate, means more horses must be bred in short periods of time, with this system comes an increased difficulty due to potentially useless traits for pvp.  

Guess we'll wait and see if the difficulty ramps up to get better horses. 

Edited by elentari

Don't PVP myself, but do Lib priests have, or are they getting, a Genesis equivelant on PVP? If not, it would seem those with access to a Fo priest will have a definite advantage when it comes to breeding horses, this seems like a balance issue to me?

Edited by Delone
Typos
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, mysterydate said:

If we can't use the mules or donkeys for pack animals then they are just like getting a new horse imo ..not exciting unless pack able IMO

… Unless of course, we can breed them w/ dragons.   😄 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ecrir said:

How so? The category system seems to make it pretty straightforward. If you focus on one category while breeding then you will more easily pass those traits on, so it sounds like making specialized animals for a specific goal shouldn't be all that difficult. Then if you want to you can likely try to breed some useful misc traits into it, but that hardly seems necessary and is probably mostly interesting for people whom really want to dive really deep into this system. A system with optional depth like that is actually quite good, and the complete opposite of the fishing update.

depending on exactly how this turns out, we could start seeing some VERY intereresting meta. custom built purpose animal. with the addition of combat traits, we could see hellies with a mix of draft/combat/speed for a long distance scout, not to mention thats only HORSES. this effects ALL animals that get traits: COWS, SHEEP, CHICKEN, and other livestock. wonder if trolls will be added to the mix(assuming they arnt already)

11 hours ago, Tomatoes said:

The one thing i keep hearing is 'oh woe is me, we have to learn a hole new system'. Unfortunately dudes and dudettes, that's PART of the GAME.
if you all can treat it like the learning experience it is, it wont be so bad. and heck you might even enjoy it.
and ya, i get it, not all of us have an easy time learning new things.....dont know about you all, but im going to try anyways.

Boo (boooo) Boo! boo [boo!!]

But yeah, you're right.