Sign in to follow this  
Rhystan

Unique spawning distribution

Big disagree on some aspects of that fragment idea, but there's some kernels of "ooh that could be good" in there.

I strongly believe that no part of searching for uniques should be doable from the deed, its perimeter, or anywhere else really familiar. No farming, and sure as heck no praying.

But it does present some very interesting thoughts.

Namely, if a group (effectively) assembling and killing a unique is no impairment on your own quest to get one, surely that would lower toxicity.

Those words alone got me thinking about Realistic Conflict Theory, which almost perfectly maps onto our own situation: A conflict for limited resources (unique spawns) causes ingroups and outgroups to get hostile (the current ugly situation, the constant hackusations). If some sort of fragment system were adopted, in such a way that one person getting fragments doesn't deprive another, and integrated into something that gets people out their deeds (say, the exploration update), that would solve the "limited resources" part of it. No doubt this would be met sceptically, since balancing self-driven unique spawns to not be too frequent would be difficult indeed.

But Realistic Conflict Theory does present another way to lower hostility between groups: Superordinate Goals. This would mean somehow making dragons require whole scores of people to find, so that people would almost be required to interact between groups. How you'd accomplish this without making alts bypass it is completely beyond me, however.

9 minutes ago, Pika said:

The last time I was on the epic, 5 minutes after I ran out of the start village for hunting, I was killed by a dragon :)so I think it's not that hard to find a dragon. was it luck? I don't know, but I didn't think I would ever see a dragon with my own eyes.

At this point every epic server has every possible unique alive on every island. It's less luck when there's that many

Edited by Stanlee
  • Like 10