Sign in to follow this  
Gooner

Chatbots

I'm surprised I did not find any info or any discussion about this, and no mention in the rules.

What is the GMs stance on chatbots? Operating in local, for instance. Obviously being obvious about it being a bot and for the purpose of assistance. The most obvious case being sermons.

(Yes, I am aware of discord chatbots. But having one interface doesn't rule out another.)

Edited by Gooner

This would fall under the category of macroing. Props for wanting to be creative, but this isn't something you should pursue.

Macro
Definition: A macro is any software/hardware that automates the sending of actions to the game server without user interaction and is not permitted.

• Like 1

You can join IRC channels from within the game. I'd recommend operating a chat bot that way.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Antony said:

This would fall under the category of macroing. Props for wanting to be creative, but this isn't something you should pursue.

Macro
Definition: A macro is any software/hardware that automates the sending of actions to the game server without user interaction and is not permitted.

Chat bot does not send actions in game, neither it makes automated game play. Its chat bot. I personally dont see any rules violation with that. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's against the rules, but I wouldn't risk it until you get a direct definitive response from a GM.

Chatting in local may be considered an action, so it would probs best be an IRC like @Chakronsaid, as the server can connect to any external irc channel, plus that might not be against the rules in rizen.

Tools like wurm assistant are allowed to have automated out of game actions from reading event logs, so I don't see that as a problem as long it goes through irc.

But before anything, wait for a response from a developer / GM.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:30 AM, Skatyna said:

Chat bot does not send actions in game, neither it makes automated game play. Its chat bot. I personally dont see any rules violation with that. 

I agree with both of you and consider the rules not so clear-cut on this topic. Perhaps CA is not the right section for this kind of question, as it would be nice if the GMs could weigh in, but I did not know what section to post this question in.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter so far! : )

GMs tend to get jumpy at even the mention of a bot, whether it's purely chat or if it does actions. I'm not in the know about how the anti bot mechanics work, so I can't comment on that. 

But to have your chatbot work in game would require input from a non human entity into the game client, which I believe would be against the rules.

As others have stated, best bet is to setup the chatbot using an external irc client onto the rizon network, and have players you want to participate join a channel you create there.

That is in my opinion, the safest way to do this, but you can of course send a forum pm to the LCM to get an official standpoint.