Sign in to follow this  
Vorticella

Add option to "Plant naturally" for reed seeds

I'd love the option to plant wild reed tiles, for example around the edges of a pond or dock area. The options would be "Sow" to plant a farm tile as usual, or "Plant naturally" to create wild reed tiles. It would work only on tiles that have the option to "drink" from, since it's an aquatic plant.

Update: This was added! Thank you dev team! I've already started planting the edges of my pond and it looks so much nicer :D Yay!

7 hours ago, DevBlog said:

New: Reed seeds can now be planted in shallow water to create natural reed tiles. They require a depth of 29 dirts or less, on tiles with a slope of 20 or less.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 12
  • Cat 1

Thumbs up from me, it would make ponds look more intresting and the Ducks want them as a nesting place.🦆

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Josuhacalvert said:

Thumbs up from me, it would make ponds look more intresting and the Ducks want them as a nesting place.🦆

wurm have ducks? we have donkeys..😷

Yes please! I have wanted to be able to plant wild reed tiles in like, forever!

No need to make it a guaranteed success - it could be very hard to get them to plant, unlike on correctly terraformed farm tiles - more reason to farm reed / raise Nature skill.

I just want to be able to aspire to doing it!

I have a little pond section at my place which I was planting Reeds and Harvesting them now and again.  I came back one day to harvest the reeds and they were wild reeds.  I have no idea how it happened.  Unless the game just by chance randomally spawned reeds in the spot where farmed reeds were.  But that is what happened.  So I actually have wild reeds in my pond now that used to be farm reeds.

Though, it would be good to be able to plant wild ones, yeah.

Edited by Zexos

2 hours ago, Zexos said:

I have a little pond section at my place which I was planting Reeds and Harvesting them now and again.  I came back one day to harvest the reeds and they were wild reeds.  I have no idea how it happened.  Unless the game just by chance randomally spawned reeds in the spot where farmed reeds were.  But that is what happened.  So I actually have wild reeds in my pond now that used to be farm reeds.

Though, it would be good to be able to plant wild ones, yeah.

Interesting, will have to try that and see if it's reliable. Even if that is a thing and not random though, crop tiles have to be terraformed in a restrictive way that wouldn't always be desirable or feasible for this purpose and would really limit the places it could be used. Eg. steep shorelines next to docks, or ponds with more natural uneven edges. 

• Like 2

+1 I would love to add a little more character to our lakeside. Cattails would be nice too.

• Like 2

I have built a nice pond, not knowing you can't plant (wild) reed, so I planted the farmer version instead lol. 

It looks kinda the same but the tile is a crop tile and not the wild reed one which I want. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DevBlog said:

New: Reed seeds can now be planted in shallow water to create natural reed tiles. They require a depth of 29 dirts or less, on tiles with a slope of 20 or less.

Woohoo!! 🥳

• Like 3

Reeds are useful things for new players to have around; the option to plant them would be a great way to encourage players to settle somewhere.

Also, if someone dirt griefs your area (it has happened) you lose out on beautiful reeds.

If balance is an issue, just gate it behind 50 botanize or something (growing of wild plants would fit botany...).

Going to bump this as I just saw a lot of Xanadian dirt coasts with no real beauty that would look amazing with some reeds growing wild.

On 10/28/2021 at 6:01 AM, DevBlog said:

• Like 1