Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Marsh seems incapable of spreading to dirt

It looks like marsh is not capable of spreading to dirt, either above, on, or below the water line.

This is disappointing as it seems like it should, intuitively (just like grass does).

I'm basing this on a few months' recent observations in Cadence. My older observations, on Xanadu, we that marsh was capable of spreading, but perhaps only to grass tiles, not to bare dirt.

Is this a bug, or was something deliberately done to marsh to stop it spreading?

Edited by Sheffie

it's not meant to spread, marsh has never spread (easily confirmable with the years of map dumps) and there's nothing in the wu code to indicate that it should spread either.

• Like 1

Yes, I believe the wurmpedia is wrong, then.

Steppe is what's the prolific spreader in Wurm Online and is spread in the way that quote posted above describes.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:28 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

it's not meant to spread, marsh has never spread (easily confirmable with the years of map dumps) and there's nothing in the wu code to indicate that it should spread either.

I could swear I can remember marsh spreading on Pristine within the first year of it opening. It seemed the wretched stuff would even spread to rock tiles. I had a major, ongoing battle with it as a beginner player. But maybe I misremember, and it was just that digging it to rock on all corners didn't eliminate it. But I think the only reason I was trying to eliminate it was because the wiki said it would spread if left unchecked.

The ability for marsh It was added at some point but I have tested it on Cele keeping dirt tiles in shallow water and next to shallow water and it did not spread at all for the months I watched. Which is sad - marsh should be possible to be recreated, I have some areas where I tried to restore the natural look of abandoned areas but failing with marsh.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 11:28 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

I dont know about now but i know for a fact that marsh used to spread like a virus in a elementary school. On the old JK server before freedom i saw it take over a huge swatch of land about 100x50 tiles. On Indy at my dock area i was building it up from the ocean and forgot to sand it back  and a few months later that crap almost took over my docks and i was back to making floor planks to get rid of it again.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 5:35 AM, Evilvision said:

I dont know about now but i know for a fact that marsh used to spread like a virus in a elementary school. On the old JK server before freedom i saw it take over a huge swatch of land about 100x50 tiles. On Indy at my dock area i was building it up from the ocean and forgot to sand it back  and a few months later that crap almost took over my docks and i was back to making floor planks to get rid of it again.

Haha I see a good neighborhood fight over marsh - demarsh if it would again be a thing :P

I am reasonably convinced that marsh did at one time spread (as recently as the early days of the Release server) but I haven't seen any evidence of it in the past several years.     Assuming it ever existed the mechanic appears to be broken, disabled, or configured to happen with negligible probability.   I wonder if "spread to grass or dirt" is a behavior that at one time was assigned to both steppe and marsh but is now assigned only to steppe.