Sign in to follow this  
WeaselWarDance

Have signed up but can't play

Downloaded through Steam, and everything is updated, including the launcher. I signed up for an account on the website, and I'm guessing because of this I can't play. Every time I try to, I have to enter a name for my character. I have tried using the one I signed up with, along with other variations, and it keeps telling me that it is linked with a different Steam account.

You can play through Steam only on with your Steam account, which uses your Steam ID to create a new toon. If you register a new toon on the Wurm website, you need to download the standalone client in order to play. You can play on all severs with both toon though. I'd reccomend using the external client, since you can run multiple character and your account is not connected to steam in any way. It's not possible to merge accounts at the moment.

Edited by Xheth

For steam  version of Wurm, you do not have to register account. It uses your steam credentials for it. Just enter new name in client and press play. If it tells you that  is linked  with a different steam account, that means  someone is already using that name and you need to choose another one. Your name must be unique. Just one  can exist in whole wurm universe,  both steam and standalone client version. One you created on website is for use in standalone client . Premium time for steam client  can be bought directly from ingame and steam game overlay must be turn on to use it (it's on by default). Premium  for standalone  client players can be bought through website shop only.

• Like 1

This sounds like you are talking about Wurm Online, which means this ought to be moved to the WO tech help section.   (You accidentally posted to Wurm Unlimited tech forum, I assume by mistake. WU is completely separate from WO, and you do not use the WO registration page at all)

It's easy to get them confused -- here are the main differences between the two:

•  Wurm Online is the original MMO. It is Free To Play up to level 20 in skills, to advance past that you need to buy a monthly subscription. It is played through either a steam launcher and steam account, or through registration on the official website and using the official standalone launcher. It can only be played on official servers, and mods are not allowed. It is the only version getting regular updates.  

• Wurm Unlimited is a buy once, play free forever modifiable version of the game, it has NO official server only player run servers. You can play singleplayer, passworded co-op with family and friends, or play on one of the many player run open public servers, each of which may have its own rules, mods and maps. You can even make your very own server, using either a paid host or simply running off your own computer. Wurm Unlimited stopped being updated two years ago though it has a ton of content dating back to Wurm's original launch in 2003 until about 2019 when WU updates stopped forever.  WU can only be played through steam and only after buying the game (pay once, play free forever after that.) There is no completely free way to play WU. 

if you really really REALLY want to use the name you registered with on the WO website registration page, but using the steam account you will need to leave that character completely alone for a few days, I think the name stops being reserved if no one logs in for 72 hours and it is never played at all?  But if you DO log in with that name through the wurm launcher, you won't be able to use the name with the steam launcher unless the character  goes something like 90 days of not being played if it never has had a premium subscription. Once it has had a premium subscription, either through the steam launcher or the original WO launche,r it can never be deleted. Whew that sounds confusing, i know!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

If this is still an issue, you can download the wurm client separately from wurm and use the character that you created from the website. But it would probably be easier to make a new character name with your steam account.