Sign in to follow this  
Carmichael

100% Meditation Tick Rates

As the title says, I think it's about time it happens....

• Like 6

Even if it has to be balanced by reducing tick size by 20% or so. 

Tired of going 0/5 lol

• Like 5

Hmm im not sure. 

It is one of the mechanics that makes meditating very difficult and thus a little bit more unique than other jobs/skills and we need that for balance.

If everyone around you can enchant grass, refresh and Love effect the area (examples) , the fun of meditating will be gone. 

Its the dedication one puts in meditating, knowing after 2min meditating they could get 0 ticks and still do it. 

There needs to be some luck involved so there is a chance your meditation won't give you any ticks at all. 

So a first - 1 for me.

Some skills do not need to become easier and are fine as they are. 

Edited by Berms

18 minutes ago, Berms said:

Some skills do not need to become easier and are fine as they are. 

Guarantee ticks and reduce skill by 20-40%, this way the skill wouldn't exactly become easier, it'd just become more consistent. It already has the inconsistency that comes from a player forgetting about their med cooldown.

I'm meditating, so why should I not get meditation skill. 

11 minutes ago, Synjor said:

Guarantee ticks and reduce skill by 20-40%, this way the skill wouldn't exactly become easier, it'd just become more consistent. It already has the inconsistency that comes from a player forgetting about their med cooldown.

I don't even think reducing skill thick is necessary. There are other mechanisms in place to prevent easy skill gain, like number of meditations that yields ticks per day, 30 min gap per meditating, need to change place, having on top of all that that skill gain is not certain even if you are in correct timeframe is utterly annoying and punishing to players, sadism 101 from developers side. Even if ticks are certain i'm not  sure many people will have time to be maximum "efficient" everyday. Imagine you can log in for only 1h some day, and you try to meditate twice and both are fails, that is some bad game design that will only piss players, and then we wonder why numbers are declining and game is dying

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Synjor said:

40% seems a bit too much but I do get your point. 

Forgetting about meditation cooldown:

Use Wurm Assistants timer function as it is accurate to the milisecond and will notify you when it's time to meditate again. 

I haven't missed a single meditation while playing because of this. 

You suggest lowering the skill gain but increasing consistency. 

This may be attractive to you but not for the guy that only does 1 or 2 meditations a day. 

He wants the full skillgain (if he gets a tick) as he doesn't have the time to do it 5 times a day with 30min cooldown in between. 

Maybe something like guaranteed tick at least 1 a day or the first meditation of the day. 

This way people will get guaranteed skill gain for the first meditation but the other 4 will be as it is right now?

Meditation is a difficult topic in general to discuss and im not trying to brush away (good) suggestions so im interested in good suggestions but guaranteed tick for every meditation seems a bit much. 

Edited by Berms

I think it's fine as it is. Some of the abilities seem useless, but to each their own. Wouldn't object to an easier way to change path, maybe a free path transfer every couple years.

23 hours ago, Berms said:

You suggest lowering the skill gain but increasing consistency. 

This may be attractive to you but not for the guy that only does 1 or 2 meditations a day. 

Well, that depends on how much they lower gain per tick.

We all know meditation as implemented is a long game. OPs initial suggestion was to just drop failure, which obviously would greatly increase overall levelling. Adding in the suggestion to decrease gain per tick changes the goal from speeding things up, to reducing frustration caused by failures in a skill that you can only attempt a limited number of times per day.

All things being equal, skill progression will average out the same for everyone, even if with strings of failures; reaching 70 meditation should take about the same amount of time for everyone who puts in the time. The devs surely know how long this takes and, if they removed failure, could adjust gains per tick to keep things to roughly the same amount of time.

So really the guy who only does one or two meditations a day wouldn’t be negatively affected. Sure, right now he might have lucky days and gain on both ticks, but he’ll also have instances of several days in row with no gains at all. So if properly done, reduction in gains per tick would be balanced by always succeeding. In the long run.

All that said, I personally think levelling meditation is too annoying. I really hate the mechanic that limits not only how much time you need to wait between attempts, but also limits the number of attempts per day. I dislike these unavoidable  cooloff mechanics that interrupt your play. 

So for me the biggest complaint I have isn’t the failure rate, but that I have a limited time to play each day and hate that I’m constantly interrupting my session for meditation, and even signing at times during the day, not to play, but just to try and get another tick in. I’d much rather see a fixed limit on attempted ticks per day with a shorter cooldown. I.e., 20 minutes and 5 attempted tickets per day with failure/gains adjusted accordingly.

Edited by Calan