Sign in to follow this  
Griffler

Constant Disconnections

I have been plagued with connection issues since starting this game, and have issues with literally nothing else.  I live in the boonies, internet is not the best but a Lot better then it used to be.  I've started watching a ping report when these disconnects happen and it seems like a simple one to two, seldom three second patch of packet drop causes the game to lose its mind and kick me from the server, its so bad I've lost my desire to play the game with this constant issue.  There are no other online games I play where this is an issues, why is wurm so sensitive to a very very brief interruption in communication and what can be done to bypass this nonsense?

Thanks in advance,

Griffler

Edited by Griffler

How long ago did you start playing and how often are the disconnections?

Someone might be able to suggest a course of action if you share a console.log file which you can find in your Wurm directory after a disconnect.

I've been playing for a couple of months and its been a constant issue.  Like I said it depends on my internet connection, sometimes its fine for a couple of days, sometimes I cannot stay connected for more then a couple or few minutes at a time.

Console.Log

10 hours ago, Griffler said:

I have been plagued with connection issues since starting this game, and have issues with literally nothing else.  I live in the boonies, internet is not the best but a Lot better then it used to be.  I've started watching a ping report when these disconnects happen and it seems like a simple one to two, seldom three second patch of packet drop causes the game to lose its mind and kick me from the server, its so bad I've lost my desire to play the game with this constant issue.  There are no other online games I play where this is an issues, why is wurm so sensitive to a very very brief interruption in communication and what can be done to bypass this nonsense?

Thanks in advance,

Griffler

Can't say other than LOL

Wurm client is not handling well the loss of packets.

It's not a problem anyone from ccab can do about you, call your internet service provider and get things fixed, patch the packet loss if it's on your end.. could be cable or terrible router, faulty network card.. if it's from the isp.. just bug them to do something about it.

You could 'maybe' dodge the problem by using vpn and higher ttl could save you.. but it might add some lag and eventually you might get same relogging annoyance or NOT at all..   

It's easier to call your isp and explain that you have issues having persistent connectivity to wurm login and game server/s(mention the 2 ips..), you'll need to be able to contact administrator/technician and not just the GTFO-on-phone person, unless that person is amazing at taking notes and bringing your problem to the other 1-2..  it might be possible to fix remotely from their side or need to send a team to check your router/cable/nic

Writing here can not help you... it's a local issue, not a problem coming from the game server(s).

6 hours ago, Finnn said:

Can't say other than LOL

Wurm client is not handling well the loss of packets.

It's not a problem anyone from ccab can do about you, call your internet service provider and get things fixed, patch the packet loss if it's on your end.. could be cable or terrible router, faulty network card.. if it's from the isp.. just bug them to do something about it.

You could 'maybe' dodge the problem by using vpn and higher ttl could save you.. but it might add some lag and eventually you might get same relogging annoyance or NOT at all..   

It's easier to call your isp and explain that you have issues having persistent connectivity to wurm login and game server/s(mention the 2 ips..), you'll need to be able to contact administrator/technician and not just the GTFO-on-phone person, unless that person is amazing at taking notes and bringing your problem to the other 1-2..  it might be possible to fix remotely from their side or need to send a team to check your router/cable/nic

Writing here can not help you... it's a local issue, not a problem coming from the game server(s).

Cant say other than LOL

I already said it was my internet connection that's dropping packets, however what is exceptional is the inability for Wurm to handle an extremely brief interruption in communication that the dozens upon dozens of other mmo's I've played are able to handle fine.  Did you even read my message before flaming?   Like I said I live in the boonies, you think I've not called my ISP repeatedly?  LOL, I would say thanks for the attempt at help, but not when starting out your reply like that!

The only thing you've done is help me lose further interest in the game, congratulations on pushing yet another wurmian away from the game.

Edited by Griffler
  • Like 3

Yeah wurm's horrible for that, connection times out after about 3 seconds of not receiving packets, and no way to change it. i had to get around it by leaving wurm running on a pc with a better connection and rdp'ing in with my mobile connection, at least then when it dropped i'd stay logged in on wurm and not have to mess around with all my windows again. Maybe one day they'll let you change the timeout manually

finn's weird just ignore him

• Like 1

TL;DR  I have the same problem, beg for a WURM client update and sue your ISP

There are many games that I play on from my unstable connection that are far more resilient than WURM.  Several times a day WURM goes non-responsive due to dropped packets or otherwise low transmission rates, when  other things in my household are working just fine.  ( I constantly monitor quality of my connection for reasons below). More could be done to make the client/server connection more robust, and tolerant of packet loss, and those changes would have to come in the form of a client update.  Something I am SURE *cough cough* is high on the priority list for the devs. 🙄

As someone else who lives in an underserved area (aka the boonies) I get what you are saying.  I have done many of the things I am sure you have tried and others have probably suggested to you.  In addition to the standard reboot, oh you have to buy a new modem, it MUST be your router blah blah blah ....

For 2 years I have:

Sent packet traces to my ISP showing loss on their end

Sent detailed analysis of noise on my line coming in (from the same model FLUKE meter their techs use)

Showed the channel report from my modem displaying which channels were experiencing loss and during what time frames

Sent speed reports showing my UP is about 120% of what I pay for while my DOWN is less than 10%

Changed DNS from the ISP to cloudfare ( to avoid slowdowns from tracking algorithms.... I got about a 3% increase FWIW)

etc etc etc

This is a struggle that FINNN is obviously not familiar with based on his response.

Getting your ISP to change is not an easy answer ... many are so resistant to admitting fault it takes a lawsuit to action change... like the class action suit and Public Service Commission filings against my ISP - SuddenLink by Altice

33 minutes ago, Bremba said:

TL;DR  I have the same problem, beg for a WURM client update and sue your ISP

There are many games that I play on from my unstable connection that are far more resilient than WURM.  Several times a day WURM goes non-responsive due to dropped packets or otherwise low transmission rates, when  other things in my household are working just fine.  ( I constantly monitor quality of my connection for reasons below). More could be done to make the client/server connection more robust, and tolerant of packet loss, and those changes would have to come in the form of a client update.  Something I am SURE *cough cough* is high on the priority list for the devs. 🙄

As someone else who lives in an underserved area (aka the boonies) I get what you are saying.  I have done many of the things I am sure you have tried and others have probably suggested to you.  In addition to the standard reboot, oh you have to buy a new modem, it MUST be your router blah blah blah ....

For 2 years I have:

Sent packet traces to my ISP showing loss on their end

Sent detailed analysis of noise on my line coming in (from the same model FLUKE meter their techs use)

Showed the channel report from my modem displaying which channels were experiencing loss and during what time frames

Sent speed reports showing my UP is about 120% of what I pay for while my DOWN is less than 10%

Changed DNS from the ISP to cloudfare ( to avoid slowdowns from tracking algorithms.... I got about a 3% increase FWIW)

etc etc etc

This is a struggle that FINNN is obviously not familiar with based on his response.

Getting your ISP to change is not an easy answer ... many are so resistant to admitting fault it takes a lawsuit to action change... like the class action suit and Public Service Commission filings against my ISP - SuddenLink by Altice

"3% improvement after dns change" and that "fixed your connection".. - no.

dns literally translates hostnames to ips.. and that's it.. all you get from it..

not that there can't be more on that port.. but all you get is ip/host translation, could be slightly better than cheap isp's dns servers.. or have some fix for ads(pinning them to ::1, etc);

that's it.. dns does NOTHING for your connectivity once you know what hostnameaaaa.bbbb.ccc means as ip.add.re.ss, and you have it cached for the ttl time

Might be time to change your ISP. I can appreciate not wanting to if Wurm is the only service you have problem with, but if they're lying about the services they provide you may want to stop paying into it. *ahem*

1 hour ago, Antony said:

Might be time to change your ISP. I can appreciate not wanting to if Wurm is the only service you have problem with, but if they're lying about the services they provide you may want to stop paying into it. *ahem*

Would love to, if only there were more than one option in the massive majority of the US.  Outside of cities you may not have a choice, as is the case with me and I'm assuming Bremba is in the same boat. 

It's interesting how Finnn chimes in yet again with nothing constructive and only flaming posters, he picked out one thing to comment on and nothing else and pursued it like his mothers honor was at stake.   You know Finnn he even stated that his reasoning was "( to avoid slowdowns from tracking algorithms.... I got about a 3% increase FWIW(meaning For What It's Worth))".  Not to mention he didnt even say that fixed his connection as you put it in ""3% improvement after dns change" and that "fixed your connection".. - no."  But no you chose to yet again make assumptions and flame posters.  How and why are you still here?  Stop being Toxic.

Edited by Griffler
  • Like 1

Are you using wifi or is you computer plugged directly into the router? If wifi, can you try plugging directly in to see if there’s an improvement? 

What model router are you using? Was it provided by the your isp or did you get it yourself? Is it on the latest firmware?

I know Bremba seemed skeptical, but an old/faulty/cheap router can a problem (particularly if you’re using wifi). Faulty, for obvious reasons. Old/cheap, it could just not have current technology, meaning you could see improvements with a modern/more expensive router.

Edited by Calan

9 hours ago, Griffler said:

Would love to, if only there were more than one option in the massive majority of the US.  Outside of cities you may not have a choice, as is the case with me and I'm assuming Bremba is in the same boat. 

It's interesting how Finnn chimes in yet again with nothing constructive and only flaming posters, he picked out one thing to comment on and nothing else and pursued it like his mothers honor was at stake.   You know Finnn he even stated that his reasoning was "( to avoid slowdowns from tracking algorithms.... I got about a 3% increase FWIW(meaning For What It's Worth))".  Not to mention he didnt even say that fixed his connection as you put it in ""3% improvement after dns change" and that "fixed your connection".. - no."  But no you chose to yet again make assumptions and flame posters.  How and why are you still here?  Stop being Toxic.

I gave you a list of steps you can follow to fix your problem.

If you can't improve anything by talking to your isp or changing it - use a vpn, it's a stupid workaround, but could work for you, it's how I've played west coast hosted games where US WC players comment on game forums that the hosting and ping SUCKS, and I was playing on that trash server from EU - you know what - it worked "fine" for me for a while... stopped the client crashes and constant relogs.

If he's oblivious what dns does for him and imagines 'stuff' that's on him, misleading other people into that is not ok.

The tracking algo.. are normally javascript on a webpage.. that have nothing to do with {dns and packet recording} from your isp(demanded by law nowdays in any country).

I am not staff, I do not get paid to help you, my 'pay' is leaving 1 'joke' with the lol which is not even personal, and you chose to focus on that and ignore working on fixing your issue? - fine with me

I did help you with a guide what you can do, your call if you want to fix your problem or redirect your anger elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

If he's oblivious what dns does for him and imagines 'stuff' that's on him, misleading other people into that is not ok.

The tracking algo.. are normally javascript on a webpage.. that have nothing to do with {dns and packet recording} from your isp(demanded by law nowdays in any country).

DNS or Domain Naming Service is a series of hosting providers that translate FQDN's (fully qualified domain names) into IP addresses.  Almost ALL hosting providers including ISP's, Google(8.8.8.8), and others track DNS queries to correlate sites you visited with teh IP address of your modem.  It's why if you search a few time for prices of a corvette, your wife's Facebook page on her phone will suddenly start to get Chevrolet car dealership ads.  This tracking does produce overhead on the system and slows down responses and traffic from your ISP.  And yes internet privacy laws in teh US allow them to do this.  The only way to avoid this is to use DNSSEC [trust chain security], DoT [TLS encryption],  or DoH [HTTPS encryption]. These are not fully supported across all OS's, browsers, and hosting providers. OR you can force your traffic to a public DNS service that doesn't track such as Cloudfare (1.1.1.1).  The majority of people will NEVER see a difference in (loading) speeds from this, because they have functioning modern connections.  HOWEVER, when your connection is as bad as mine, that small increased latency in responses from the slower DNS systems (that DO track your requests) can cause you to miss the answer to your request, forcing your PC to send additional queries to get its response.  This WILL cause a slower response time for page loads when web browsing, (or initial connection times to any hosted service where you are pointing at a FQDN) and on very poor connections a faster DNS service can lead to increased performance on page load times (not overall bandwidth and ISP connection speed, in case that wasn't clear in my first post)

@Calan You are correct that all of those hardware/firmware items need to be checked.   I am not skeptical of the affect old equipment can have on the connections, that was more of a jab at the overseas call centers many ISP's love to use. The usual convo - even when you have a brand new 32 channel docsys 3.1 modem with the latest firmware : "yes I have rebooted it 3 times already , no, 'Bob' from India, unplugging it and pugging it back in with will not change anything. and no I am not going to purchase ANOTHER new modem because that is your only troubleshooting step."

Also I agree with Griffler, it would be great if the FCC would enforce monopoly laws so the majority of us in teh US that have literally only one service provider in our area COULD change.

@Griffler Sorry to have drug the conversation away from your OP.  My answer remains the same ..  Beg for a client update, Go after your ISP for poor service.

Edited by Bremba
spelling

Hope you get it working Griffles, cause that just means you're dragging me outta Wurm to play other games now with you 🤣.  Plus, it's really hard to go after an IPS for poor service when we can log outa Wurm and go play a fast paced, shooty game or other MMOs with zero issue... 🙃

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 9:49 AM, Finnn said:

could be cable

I had this issue a few years back, the disconnects in Wurm were driving me batshit crazy, couple times an hour. One day just for the heck of it I tried replacing the ethernet cable between my computer and the router and BOOM, no more disconnects at all.

If you use wifi, I would highly suggest using or at least testing a wired ethernet cable connection instead as those as usually much more reliable than wifi which can be finicky. You can get super cheap ($3 or so) ethernet cables  lots of places on the internet. 

I live in a very rural area gain now, and my internet can be frustratingly finicky. It can take hours to download anything and I have to keep resuming disconnected attempts. I actually miss Comcast now! So I do whatever I can to improve my situation, because blaming Code Club may release some stress but it probably will never fix your issue. 

The reason "fast paced shooty games" may give fewer headaches is they are usually not moving as much data as when you get a data heavy game like Wurm with zillions of items and calculations taking place every few seconds. Games without terraforming for instance have a HUGE advantage. That's the main reason very few other games even have terraforming.  But if you are not able to resolve your connectivity issues, and are in an area with flaky internet (I am too), you can always go back to those. Just depends how badly you want to play Wurm.

At least try the easy things first to see if they help. Getting the dev team to rewrite two decades of undocumented spaghetti code that was originally written by someone no longer there, is probably not going to happen. They have too many people coming and going on and off the team, projects being started and then dropped,  promises being made and broken, guessing and second-guessing what Rolf did back in 2003 etc, that its unlikely that even if they COULD do something about it, they actually would be even able to. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2