Sign in to follow this  
Rhystan

Mission sleep bonus reward revamp

I feel like missions right now are not working that fairly in terms of rewards for contribution. Right now, we have an epidemic of people who will throw in 1 item out of 500, or 1 kill out of 50, and hope that the rest of the server will carry them to get their reward. And then the way the mission works, is the sleep bonus gets split EVENLY amongst everyone, regardless of how much work they did. This would be akin to people going to dinner and splitting the check evenly, when some people had steaks and drinks, and others had a side salad. You do get karma for doing individual portion, but karma has no value. I have tens of thousands of karma and I've never used any of it. At some point I may summon a corpse if I ever lose one, but karma is simply not useful. What I want, and what everyone wants, is the sleep bonus.

What we need is a system where the mission incentive is flat rate for participation (doing something), but the sleep bonus pool or other benefits are given by participation. So if the bonus pool is 300 minutes and someone does 1% of the work, they should get no more than 1% of 300 minutes of sleep bonus. I am fine with the cap being 30 minutes or whatever is deemed acceptable. But I have been doing a lot of work on carrying missions, and it's not right to have to do 50%+ of a mission, and then get 24 minutes of sleep bonus, when the default is 20, because everyone did one item and then ignored it and waited for someone to do all the work.

The alternative of course is to stop doing carries on missions, but then nobody gets anything. Why not instead incentivize people to do the actual work of the mission, by rewarding the sleep bonus appropriately by contribution?

• Like 7

Yeah it's pretty lame, more sleep bonus for contributing more to the mission would be nice, or something like have a minimum of like 5% contributed to get put into the bonus sleep bonus pool

• Like 3

Yes, I see the same behavior a fair bit and agree something needs to be done to boost actual participation.

Edit: Re-did this section was having a brain fart and looking at it backwards, It's the missions like kill 23 of xxx that would be messed up by a 5% minimum, often with these it's hard enough to find one to kill, and having a minimum percentage contribution even as low as 5% would mean you need to kill two, with the chance that the majority of people who only manage to find one would have contributed but not being valid to receive reward.

Another take on it could be to rework Karma rewards, if there were more commonly useful options for using Karma, that would also encourage people to do a larger part in missions. I have accumulated over 70k of Karma from taking part in missions since Harmony started to get them, and have not yet used a single point of it as nothing in there has been of use - about the only thing that may be of use at some point is if I lose a body at an inconvenient time and need to summon it.

Some possible suggestions might be time cooldown locked abilities like a refresh, summon soul, summon somebody elses corpse, a heal/cure etc. I'm not even talking a daily cooldown, it could be weekly or more, so that it doesn't step on the toes of priest abilities, but on that odd occasion it may be enough to save your butt in an otherwise desperate situation - literally your good karma for past deeds repaying you in a time of need.

Either way, I do think the system could benefit from a fresh look at it.

Edited by Delone
clarification

4 hours ago, Rhystan said:

This would be akin to people going to dinner and splitting the check evenly, when some people had steaks and drinks, and others had a side salad.

Ah, you’re ‘that guy’ who wants to break out the calculator to find out individual totals based on each single item on the bill, rather than just split the bill evenly for the shared experience? 😉

The point is, one way isn’t more ‘right’ than the other; these are differences of opinion, not ‘fact’.

Personally, I’m fine with equal distribution of reward for each participant. People stockpile items as part of the grind and are more than happy to grind even more items just to sac or give to avatar if it means they can get more reward. I’d much prefer not to encourage one person to try and complete a mission that was intended for multiple participants.

Edited by Calan