Sign in to follow this  
Calan

Changes to meditation enlightment

I just tried enlightenment for the first time and was surprised by the failure rate. The student was level 5 with almost 30 meditation (so well over the 20 needed for level 6); the teacher level 8 with almost 50 (so well over the 40 that he needed to reach level 8 ). With the 1 minute cooldown after each failure, the teacher and student were basically in limbo putting off other work waiting for the next go. After about 15 18 (edit: just checked the event log) failed attempts, I went to my special rug and got the question after just a few tries (matching my experience in progressing through the earlier levels).

Progressing a level of meditation already requires many days of cooldown and progressing meditation skill, which itself has tedious restrictions on increasing skill. Further, enlightenment can only be attempted when the teacher and student are exactly three levels apart. These feel like more than enough restrictions for enlightenment and I'm not sure why it needs such a high failure rate or long cooldown after a failure -- or even the chance to fail in the first place.

If enlightenment really needs chance to fail, surely you should be more likely to pass to the question when being 'enlightened' by a teacher than when using the same rug to meditate on your own?

I notice on the wiki that the one minute cooldown was added in 2013, so I'm guessing it was brought in later -- to counter some abuse?

Suggestion:

1) Adjust failure rate so a student has a much better chance of getting the meditation question via enlightenment than if she had meditated on her own with the same rug

2) Remove (or drastically reduce to 5-10s) cooldown on enlightment after a failed enlightenment attempt

3) To balance the first two, add an 18-hour cooldown on the teacher enlightening again after a successful enlightenment

Edited by Calan
  • Like 1

Enlightenment was intended for use at higher levels.  It allows for progression to the next level after just seven days as opposed to teh 18 days required at higher levels.   So at 39 % of the normal wait time, I would expect a much lower success rate of getting the question (39% sounds logical to me).

3 hours ago, Bremba said:

Enlightenment was intended for use at higher levels.  It allows for progression to the next level after just seven days as opposed to teh 18 days required at higher levels.   So at 39 % of the normal wait time, I would expect a much lower success rate of getting the question (39% sounds logical to me).

I meditated my way to 5 meditation. I thought that 7 day window would apply, but it didn’t — I had to wait the full 12.5 days till my mentor could attempt to enlighten me. So I suppose that 7 day window only kicks in after being enlightened in the first place — for the first enlightenment, you need to wait the full cooldown.

If the success were based on how much time you’re saving by being enlightened as you suggest, fair enough. But in my instance I waited the full 12.5 days — I didn’t and couldn’t save any time. And still I couldn’t get a success after 18 goes. I wasn’t saving ‘days’ by doing enlightenment, but I did think it’d succeed easier and I’d save a few goes at meditating on my own and was surprised by the number of failure. I don’t think this is a good mechanic as it is.

edit: I re-read the wiki and definitely it’s not accurate. It says ‘A player can be enlightened 7 days after their last path advancement, regardless of level or regular wait time,’ but that wasn’t my experience — I had to wait the regular wait time before the mentor could make the attempt. I now notice the wiki also mentions the teacher needs to wait 7 days after successfully enlightening someone; wonder if there’s some mixup there in where the 7 days applies....

I don’t mind a forced delay in waiting between levelling up. I’ve played EVE Online and appreciate fixed progress that doesn’t involve grind. What I do mind is waiting those days to progress, only at the end to also have to deal with multiple failures and a minute delay between each attempt. It’s frustrating and a pointless waste of time.

Edited by Calan

Enlighten was made worthless some years ago on a whim by rolf because people were getting level 11 with 60ish meditating, and now it's completely useless, why they didn't just remove it then to save confusion idk. In your example of 30 meditating being enlightened to 6, you would have a 0% chance. 70 meditating being enlightened to 6 would be a 0.7% chance. Don't worry though, they're working on balancing it

7605b285aa291583e8d7e08b14f9d413.png

10 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

In your example of 30 meditating being enlightened to 6, you would have a 0% chance. 70 meditating being enlightened to 6 would be a 0.7% chance.

Really that bad? The wiki says, ‘Rumour suggests that a successful enlightenment requires a meditation skill of approximately 75% progress to the actual required level to path up yourself. E.g. around 27 meditating needed to be enlightened to level 7.’

So with almost 30 meditation, I was expecting enlightening to level 6 wouldn’t be a problem. Ah well. 🙄

Edited by Calan