Sign in to follow this  
Tryfaen

New Server on the Horizon?(a player driven discussion)

In the event of a new server, I think it would be a great idea for the devs to have some feedback ahead of time from the playerbase.

Scenario:

Imagine the wurm devs approaching you. They say "We are making a new server and would like your input on the particulars of that server."

rates/curve/pve/pvp/cluster/map design/any special rules?/etc it's all up to you.

What would you choose for the new server?

My Ideal server:

PvE

new map on separate cluster

accessible by portal only(or new player)

skills transfer between servers with no penalty

Items do not transfer

1x rates

no curve

4k map(same size as independence)

map design would be a circular layout with a large inner sea that is not accessible by the outer sea

• Like 2

+1

Please add x4 starter town's, one in each quadrant, NE, SE, SW and NW

Would offer more choices to start from, considering how crowded it quickly gets around single starter towns.

Also someone does not have to walk for hours to get back their body if they die without a home village.

Indy size is the perfect balance between too large and too small.

Smaller then Indy and a new server will fill up on the 1st day.

Larger then Indy and you get Xanadu sized lag issues.

I like the idea of a inner sea or lakes Not connected to outside perimeter ocean, but I would not go for circular world would.  A square world would have more land for folks to explore and find a place to live.

Food for thought,

Cheers, Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

• Like 2

just one server? dont be silly! we need at least 50 more new servers, they all could be small tho, and each server tailored specifically to the needs of the player who will reside there. Ofc they all linked to each other, as we do not wanna feel too lonely and have the ability to sail over to our neighbouring server time to time. items do transfer too, as whats the point of the visit if you cant bring your neighbour any shining gifts or a barrel of wine. Each server to have only one random colour dragon and hatchling belonging to the owner of said server so he/she could groom the beast slowly gathering hide/scale without the need to kill them. Gain rates should be something like 1kg hide/scale per groom action, but you can only groom once a week. Same for every server/player so literally every player is equal and there is no whining about it. 

That's just the few ideas to kick off, i have the endless list, so if anyone's interested let me know so we can arrange a zoom call to discuss it further.

• Like 5

No more new servers.  Instead, open up the North/South passage!

Wurmians Without Borders!

• Like 20

but why...

aren't new servers killing population from old ones and eventually as you make new friends.. you also lose some new and old ones because of the clusters and breaks/burnouts/irl-reasons/etc..

unless you're a constant and remaining to play around, you'll turn into 1 of the 'problems' above

• Like 7

Did i read .... 

NEW SERVER ???!,§,!?§,,,,,!

Seriously guys ?

Do you want 1 server per player or what ?

Please, no new server!

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

battle royale server

Epic Challenge Royale 

Edited by Synjor
Le gamer moment

battle royale with glocks

new server every 7 days where you have to prem up a new toon each time

• Like 4

The devs could leverage some of the popularity of WU and try a pve server (disconnected from the freedom cluster) that mirrors some of the more popular rulesets, like slightly increased skill and action timers, no priest restrictions, free starter deed for 30 days, bounties for burying or burning corpses, or possibly allowing some of the popular qol mods. 

A new server will only make things worst, IMHO.... but... in case the devs would do that...

Why not try a small server, extremely harsh environment and fauna, no connection with old/new clusters, no possibility of skill transfer, no portal... completely separated from the rest. So you need to create a toon and survive a very difficult challenge in terms of mobs and terrain. Skilling and rest would be same speed 1x like the others. But, just to incentivate players to play there, they could introduce moonmetals veins, or some other kind of tweak. And of course would be PVE or PVP... I don't mind cause I would never play there... but maybe some would like to try it...

Byez

• Like 1

I would like to see a new SF Isles server with NO hostile mobs of any type on it. Everything else on it can function exactly the same as the other SF Isles servers, i.e. skills etc. Open to any current character that wants to sail to it or spawn there as a new character. This has never been done before so it is not the same as any current server in existence. In that respect it offers a new *type* of server.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Just a fun thought exercise:

About xan sized (aggg, I know) map.

-- 4 main islands, each with a starter town.  Each island is about the size of Deli, in other words, big, but not huge.  Generally considered home for newer players and the folks who cater to them, or who want to be in a part of a larger community.  Each has a primary biome - desert, tundra, grass and forest (will change as players change it).

-- lots (like 100's) of little islands scattered all over in-between the 4 big islands.  Some close to each other, so far away.  Most about the size to hold 1-4 deeds comfortably.  

-- One mid sized island in the middle.  PVP island.  No need to cross servers, just land there and PVP enabled.  Has a warning so that if you get within 100 tiles of it, you get notified that you have entered a PVP zome.  Water has a different color (like Bermuda turquoise) No building on it, but terraforming and mining allowed.  Has goals, like the camps on chaos, or a capture the flag, or something.  More individual players than groups as the rewards are solo based, and not completely skills locked (so, if a combat goal, someone with good planning skills and a 70+ combat should be as likely to do it as a player with 99 fighting and all supreme+ scale, etc.)  This island has 4x the unique spawn rate - where the other islands have 0.1 times the rate.  So, unique's are more likely to spawn here, but not guaranteed to do so.  

--Each starter town has a portal area.  1 to SFI.  1 to NFI.  1 to Epic.  1 to Random spot on this server - like might be in the middle of the water.  Nothing will go through any of these portals except beginner items and the character.  

• Like 1

https://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/battles/stats.html   take a look at this .  NF = 262 non-pvp,  SF = 162 non-pvp  . it kills me to see exodus, pristine, release, celebration all under 20 players.  new server really?  how about stop allowing new deeds on the least populated servers, let those players enjoy it there. and the open land become hunting grounds.  only allow new deeds on the more populated servers. 

OR maybe more sales and advertising ....  steam users love sales, if they see premium sales like buy 2 months get 3rd free plus some silver. like the new player sale. just let old players get that deal a few times a year.  have more black friday type of sales.   hell even free premium time for a weekend every 2 months or a week every 2 months may help keep newer players.  like last years double exp and affintiy thingy. i forget the details. but it got me back playing after 6 months out of game.  after steam launch i played 3 months then no one in my local i got bored and left again until april where i just logged in a few min a day for animals. but then found a nice alliance near me and now i play 30-40 hrs aweek. 

we need more incentives to play , deals sales ect. not more land. the square KM worth of deeded land i sware could all fit on indi  if not deli. 

stop killing the population with new places to leave.  if anything. make a new server where no one can deed.  just an exploring server hunting and treasure. 

love to see the old price to premium time.  that cost me 10$ Canadian . but now $17 cnd  

Golden Valley players 0/80
Chaos players 34/800
Independence players 32/800
Deliverance players 20/800
Exodus players 3/800
Celebration players 15/800
Pristine players 7/800
Release players 19/800
Xanadu players 66/800
Harmony players 77/1500
Defiance players 15/1500
Haven players 0/400
Melody players 36/800
Cadence players 149/800
Epic cluster players 8/3200
Total players 481/14680
Edited by validate

last thing we need is another server, player base is tiny enough already, no reason so scatter us even more.  If anything then made it possible to travel between North and South

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Skatyna said:

just one server? dont be silly! we need at least 50 more new servers, they all could be small tho, and each server tailored specifically to the needs of the player who will reside there. Ofc they all linked to each other, as we do not wanna feel too lonely and have the ability to sail over to our neighbouring server time to time. items do transfer too, as whats the point of the visit if you cant bring your neighbour any shining gifts or a barrel of wine. Each server to have only one random colour dragon and hatchling belonging to the owner of said server so he/she could groom the beast slowly gathering hide/scale without the need to kill them. Gain rates should be something like 1kg hide/scale per groom action, but you can only groom once a week. Same for every server/player so literally every player is equal and there is no whining about it. 

That's just the few ideas to kick off, i have the endless list, so if anyone's interested let me know so we can arrange a zoom call to discuss it further.

I had it for almost 2 years, just more uniques.

the only thing i could wish for a new server is to make it a plain hunting/event server, no deed.

Dont see the need for more servers other then that, and its time to connect north and south soon, no point to seperate them anymore.

I want a server that lets me hold hundreds of kilos and not worry about inventory management ever

• Like 1

Why not just improve the servers that already exist?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Katrat said:

Why not just improve the servers that already exist?

Pretty much this. Adding a new server will fragment the population even more and I'll bet my left testicle it will cause the population to drop even more due to the "dead server effect". 

Devs should focus on bringing quality to existing servers. Rather we should go the opposite way. Either re-cycle current servers like Epic which are dead servers and turn them into something else  like :challenge servers, hunting servers, pvp with a twist servers, etc. 

Opening new servers won't do jack. 

• Like 3

Just merge the two freedom clusters already. Announce it as a big event, pointing out that all players will be able to explore/access more servers, etc. Who knows, that might even bring some players back.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

Just merge the two freedom clusters already. Announce it as a big event, pointing out that all players will be able to explore/access more servers, etc. Who knows, that might even bring some players back.

If they’re merged, maybe have 3 months or so of portal only travel. Then players could cross over and do stuff on the other cluster starting from scratch, but still have good skills. 

• Like 1

They only way we should get a new server is to merge/close old servers. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LionIX said:

If they’re merged, maybe have 3 months or so of portal only travel. Then players could cross over and do stuff on the other cluster starting from scratch, but still have good skills. 

Just keep it simple and allow boats so people can travel and interact freely, including for community events like rifts and unique hunts. It's events like those which help bring the community together, with how low the player base is now we could use more of that.

So Why bother with such a restriction? At this point the economies are on par already anyway crafter skill wise as well. There's people selling ql 98 weapons for example and that is the slowest crafting skill to grind up by far.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Archaed said:

I want a server that lets me hold hundreds of kilos and not worry about inventory management ever

That is added to the game already :)

aJay1hZ.png

• Like 1