Sign in to follow this  
Sidereal

100 Natural Substances

"Finally from so little sleeping and so much wurming, her brain dried up and she went completely out of her mind."                        
    - Don Quixote (paraphrased)   

[20:52:17] Natural substances increased by 0.000008 to 100.000000

It is my understanding that this might be a first and as such that I may be eligible for:
  - a complimentary mental health examination
  - to select a title for this skill

Background
When I set the deed boundaries of Meerhaven back in 2012, I discovered that I'd deeded over hundreds of water tiles that were clay and effectively unusable.  A sensible person would have adjusted their deed boundaries a bit and gotten on with life.  Well ol' Auntie Sid's been accused of being many things, but 'sensible' is not one of them.

I'd managed to get NS up to about 97 and discovered that I had some time off of work in December 2020 and said to myself: "Self, you are practically to 100 in this skill.  You've got a few thousand zinc and ten barrels of lemon juice in stock - you should knock that out over the holidays." 

Anyone that has ever attempted the climb to 100 will be quietly laughsobbing at this point.

A roadmap to take your Natural Substances skill to 100:

1. A deed buried in clay tiles
  2. A few dozen zinc veins nearby
  3. Harvesting every single lemon tree on the server for four or five summers in a row
  4. A willful ignorance of the sunk cost fallacy

Special thanks to: Efevee and the Drake Peak gang for letting me gnaw on all those zinc veins; @Goldfinchfor encouraging me to follow my dreams; @notstupidbobbfor the very best South Coast gossip sessions; @kgorski(Prospecting), @thorgot (Carpentry), and @Quostin(Bowery) for providing details of their journeys to 100. Y'all really helped.

I have what I think is a decent title picked out, but am possibly open to suggestions. What would you like to see as the title for 100 NS?

Exclusive interview with Wurmian Monthly:

Spoiler

Wurmian Monthly: "Auntie Sid, that's amazing - I want to get to 100 in a skill too.  What's the best way to do it?"

Auntie Sid: "Don't do it."

Wurmian Monthly: "But..."

Auntie Sid: "I mean it.  Don't do it."

Wurmian Monthly: "But I see several forum posts of people doing exactly this - certainly there must be reasons to get to 100 in a skill?

Auntie Sid: "Fair.  As far as I can tell, there are a few reasons to do it.  One - you've never managed to wear out a mouse in your lifetime and want to know what that's like.  Two - you've never had arthritis or a repetitive stress injury and really want to get started on one or both.  Three..."

Wurmian Monthly: "That doesn't sound like fun."

Auntie Sid: "It's not.  Every calculation you will make about how much further it is to 100 will be wrong.  Every time you think you're halfway there, you'll notice that it's still just as far away as when you started.  You'll learn about that one subtle UI bug in the skill display window that's never been fixed.  You'll spend nights doing the same thing over and over and not see a single skill tick the entire time."

Wurmian Monthly: "So wait - why would anyone ever do it?"

Auntie Sid: "Because it's the Mt. Everest of Wurm Online - and there are only so many of those peaks left to climb."

Wurmian Monthly: "After five months of spending every moment grinding Natural Substances, what will you do now?  You're probably pretty close to 100 in Alchemy and can take a crack at that, yeah?"

Auntie Sid: *laughsobbing*

Edited by Sidereal
minor corrections
  • Like 31

Congrats thats tough one to grind out! Atleast I know who to call when I need transmutation fluids!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sidereal said:

Auntie Sid: "It's not.  Every calculation you will make about how much further it is to 100 will be wrong.  Every time you think you're halfway there, you'll notice that it's still just as far away as when you started.  You'll learn about that one subtle UI bug in the skill display window that's never been fixed.  You'll spend nights doing the same thing over and over and not see a single skill tick the entire time."

Congratz. 

But seriously you should perhaps take a small break from Wurm and enjoy life. Speaking as someone who grinded 1 skill to 100, it's really important for your health :) 

• Like 1

Wow gratz Sid! Having very minimal experience recently with trans liquid I'd have to agree you are due a free mental health check up now :D Hopefully you will get to pick the title at least as a reward.

• Like 2

Congratulations! You crazy lady 🤪 Colour me impressed at 256, 24, 123

• Like 1

Many congratulations!

Outstanding achievement.

• Like 1

Congratulations!!! That's quite the "mountain" to climb. 

• Like 1

Great achievement, congrats.

• Like 1

Sid, you are awe inspiring to me.  Would like to add there is no one who can come up with better names, nor titles than you can.  

I hope to still see you in my chat box now that you have climbed this mountain and that you don't just disappear.. 

btw, this is almost on the same level of crazy as Efevee..... almost, there is still room. 

• Like 1

Congrats! 

You did this with transmutation liquids? Is that because of difficulty and better quality management? Seems like it'd be super heavy on resources

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words - y'all are too nice.  😊

Here you are, @Antony- I've colored you impressed 😉
cDDp426.png

18 hours ago, Archaed said:

You did this with transmutation liquids? Is that because of difficulty and better quality management? Seems like it'd be super heavy on resources

Almost exclusively with Clay->Dirt transmutation liquid - for both of the reasons you mention: as far as I know it's the most difficult thing to make in NS & gave the best skill ticks, plus I can bucket the output by quality to optimize for sub40 results (you should see the spreadsheet).  And yes, it's monumentally resource intensive.  I had a chance to chew on the logs for a little bit and here is the tale of woe:

• 17219 failed attempts
  • 158442 successful attempts (which in modern terms is equivalent to three and a half tanker trucks worth of liquid, and represents 158442 pieces of zinc ore to smelt and 39610 lemons to juice)
    • 43659 successful attempts to get from 1.0 to 97.0
    • 51310 successful attempts to get from 97.0 to 99.995
    • 63463 successful attempts to get from 99.995 to 100.0

A wise wurmian once said that "99.995 is halfway to 100" and it turns out that's not too far off.  Bonuses in effect: sleep bonus, path of knowledge bonus, coc 95+ at all times, Vynora follower bonus, max nutrition bonus, and affinity meal bonus (no natural affinities).  I really only started to optimize zinc ql, lemon juice ql, and amphroa ql from 97 onward - and that's the part that needs it most.

I was able to sell about 30 batches of fluid along the way, but the vast majority went to converting deed tiles - 758 of them to be precise.  On the bright side, this was enough to de-clay every part of the deed that needed it and I honestly don't have all that much left over.  I was determined to de-clay the deed no matter what - making it to 100 was just extra incentive.

On 5/9/2021 at 5:41 AM, elentari said:

But seriously you should perhaps take a small break from Wurm and enjoy life. Speaking as someone who grinded 1 skill to 100, it's really important for your health :) 

This is a wise observation and wisdom I will heed.  The climb to 100 requires nothing short of obsession and I am a bit burned out by it - time for a bit of a breather.  :D

Edited by Sidereal
typos X(
  • Like 7

Big grats. I will never ever go and try to grind any skill to 100 (well Faith on my priests not included).

• Like 1

Have you thought about expanding the deed and continuing the good clay tile slaughter on the server? XD

158442 successful attempts (which in modern terms is equivalent to three and a half tanker trucks worth of liquid, and represents 158442 pieces of zinc ore to smelt and 39610 lemons to juice)

o m . g 😱

Congrats! I'm only missing 6 ticks 🙃

Natural substances increased by 0,000008 to 99,999954

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Finnn said:

Have you thought about expanding the deed and continuing the good clay tile slaughter on the server? XD

Don't tempt me.  🤪

8 hours ago, Tris said:

Congrats! I'm only missing 6 ticks 🙃

😱😱😱

I had no idea anyone else would ever be wild enough to attempt this particular climb, let alone at essentially the same time.  @Tris- I'd love to hear your story that has taken you so far on this journey and ask that the assembled witness and respect this equally herculean effort.

Edited by Sidereal

Oh my, congratulations!  I made it over 90 and called it a day, good on you for pushing through!

• Like 2