Sign in to follow this  
Faerian

Hops trellis does not bear fruit

Planted, but not secured hops trellises grow, give the "bears a couple of immature hops" message, but then, when harvest time comes around, go to "has been picked clean" immediately, effectively making them non harvestable.

Secured seems to work fine. I would classify it as a bug since they grow and give the other fruit related messages when planted, but not secured. Either make them harvestable planted but not secured or change the message to say something like "will only work when secured". Since hops cannot  be found in the wild and securing is kind of useless on single player deeds, this is a major disappointment.

Planting and Securing are functionally the same thing. Saying something is not planted but is secured does not make any sense. Hops (and other harvestable trellises) will only be able to be harvested during their appropriate season if planted or secured, and only up to 4 are able to be secured per tile. 

Clarification: Planting an item from your inventory puts it on the ground and secures it. Securing an item is done when it is already on the ground. Using "place" will pick up the item and unsecure it if it can be picked up, such as with trellises, so even if you Plant > place, it will still need to be secured. 

Perhaps this is the issue:

Hops (and I presume any other trellis) will not bear fruit if the QL of the trellis is less than 10.

It'll give the same message you described as seeing above, Faerian.  Repair any damage on the trellis and check what QL it shows, then be sure to improve above QL 10 for next season. I'm afraid from my experience improving it during the current hops season now still won't produce a harvest for this season as it'll still maintain the 'picked clean' status it's already been given.

I believe this is 'working as intended' but the message itself could ideally be changed by developers to reflect that the issue is the quality of the trellis, not incorrectly that it'd already been picked.

Edited by Tristanc

What Shydow said, sorry for the wording.

However, this does not change the basic fact. Placed, but not secured trellises DO grow, the DO give the immature hops message, then go straight to picked clean.

Nowhere does it give a warning that only secured trellises will give hops.

But only secured do, placed is not enough. So, my point stands: either clarify that in game (not even the wiki knows) or change behaviour. Or set people up for frustration like happened to me. It should be obvious that causing people frustration because of misleading in game behaviour of objects is bad game design.

Tristanc, thanks for the pointer, but the trelises are all way above 10 ql.

Concerning the wiki entry:

the wiki says "It must be planted/secured in order to actually begin growth and reach eventual harvestability."

this is however, not true. Placing is enough for it to grow and reach mature / old / etc. stages. And also to gain "immature hops". It is true that you cannot harvest them. What's more, even securing them will not let you harvest them when in season when they weren't secured before the season started.

Edited by Faerian

This may be connected, but with a recent patch (within the past two weeks) I've noticed all of my hops trellis have become unsecured despite before the patch having been 'planted' which at the time counted the same as secured.  I know it counted as secured before-patch because I'd been able to harvest from them many times before that.

With the patch that changed, and the 'secure' option suddenly became available to do on them.  At the time I didn't realise the signifance of that, it was only a couple weeks ago.  Hops season came and all the seasonal hops on the trellis gave the "has been picked clean" message when I tried to harvest.  At that point I realised it was considering them them unsecured even though I'd originally secured them by 'planting' over a year before.

I've had to 'secure' them now in hopes that the next hops season will bring a crop. No crops were possible from the trellises this season due to the change.

Sounds alot like what you're dealing with, doesn't it?  All of this occurred as of around the time of the last patch of April 2021.

Minimum QL wasn't a factor as they were all over 15 QL (most alot higher).

I hope this adds more relevant facts for consideration by developers.

Edited by Tristanc