Sign in to follow this  
Vorticella

Hauling items up stairs

Is there a reason we can't haul items up stairs with a rope like we can with ladders? This would be a massive quality of life improvement.

I just built some furniture on the second floor, knowing it's best to build in place because bringing them up is always a headache. When I tried to place a bench across the room, it accidentally went over the tile with the stairs and fell down. I tried all kinds of things to get it back upstairs with no success. I've battled this several times now and it seems like I need to use a different tactic for every item. In some cases it works to jam the cart in the stairs and stand in a very specific spot to unload the item, but this doesn't work in some house designs or with some items. Sometimes it works but then the cart gets stuck so the horses need to be unhitched, cart dragged out and horses hitched again. I try many different things each time, fighting through "the wall is in the way" "you can't reach" "you are too far away" "the staircase is in the way" etc. until it randomly works, and then use the exact same strategy for the next item and it doesn't work. In some cases it works to unload the item under the stairs, stand in a very specific spot on the stairs and place the item in a very specific spot on the tile next to it but again that doesn't always work. I managed to bring a wardrobe up by standing on the very edge of the stair tile facing away from the stairs, and unloading it on the next tile. I tried to do the same thing with the bench, but no luck.

After many attempts I somehow accidentally glitched my cart up to the second floor and that's how I managed to put the bench back. It would have been easier to tear up a floor and build a ladder, then tear up the ladder and rebuild the floor. I've asked people how they do this and usually the answer is some variation of unloading from a cart while standing in a specific place. If there is a different way this is meant to work, someone please fill me in cause I can't figure it out :)

Please let us use a rope to haul large items up stairs.

• Like 10

Great suggestion. I think it's a bit silly to have to build a ladder first to get your stuff in place and then destroy it after. 

• Like 2

+1. I think this was the reason I've built my house with ladders, knowing I would get the same headache as you if i'd build staircases instead.

• Like 1

people have been able haul up from staircase but its alot harder 

had been great if we got such change 

17 hours ago, Berms said:

+1. I think this was the reason I've built my house with ladders, knowing I would get the same headache as you if i'd build staircases instead.

Same here.

• Like 1

+1 

There's no logical reason I can think of to not be able to haul up stairs (ok, spiral stairs could be awkward, I suppose).

Having to build a house around both staircase and ladders is annoying and cluttered looking, to me.

• Like 1

This is literally my pet peeve with how housing is now. I know it's technically challenging to solve (I have asked about this) but I hope a solution can found eventually!

• Like 2

Yeah what i do is park a wagon under a floor with items i want to unload (crates, tables, etc). Then I go up to the 2nd floor, right on the same wagon tile. I open the wagon then unload the items directly on the 2nd floor. 

Bit of a convoluted system just to get items one floor up. I shudder to think about people that have multiple floors. 

2 hours ago, elentari said:

Yeah what i do is park a wagon under a floor with items i want to unload (crates, tables, etc). Then I go up to the 2nd floor, right on the same wagon tile. I open the wagon then unload the items directly on the 2nd floor. 

Bit of a convoluted system just to get items one floor up. I shudder to think about people that have multiple floors. 

Interesting. When I try to unload, it says "You are too far away to do that".

• Like 1

Yes please.  It is possible - with a LOT of fiddling, and luck, but mostly patience and a willingness to just keep on trying the same thing over and over until you get a different result - to "place" an object from a lower floor to a higher floor, but afterwards you will need a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down.  We have rope, let us use it.

There is also the issue with stairs where stuff just drops through to the floor below when you place it (or gently push it that ONE time too many).

I have had to keep a ladder just to get bulky items upstairs, but I daren't put anything on the same tile as my stairs because if it doesn't just drop through immediately it probably will next time I log.  What was the point of half-tile wide stairs when the other half of the tile is only kind-of useable?

14 hours ago, Malena said:

Interesting. When I try to unload, it says "You are too far away to do that".

You have to hit the right tile till you can open the wagon. Personally I use the "select bar" so it shows when the "open" icon appears on the wagon on the bottom floor. Try that. 

29 minutes ago, elentari said:

You have to hit the right tile till you can open the wagon. Personally I use the "select bar" so it shows when the "open" icon appears on the wagon on the bottom floor. Try that. 

Oh well opening the wagon is not a problem. So I can easily grab stuff from the wagon and put it back as long as it's not a "loadable" item. So I can take stuff from crates etc. I just can't unload furniture, forges etc. When I try to use the unload option, that's when it gives that error message.  

EDIT: Oh and by the way, the way I usually do it is I open the wagon already when I'm on the ground level, and only after that go up to the upper levels. This way you never have to struggle with getting it open in the first place.

• Like 1