Sign in to follow this  
Drayka

Simple mechanic to despawn unwanted vehicles pls

Mechanic suggestions welcomed. I can't think of one that is fit for purpose.

9 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

putting a vehicle over a lava tile doesn't work anymore? :D

Of course it works. But I don't have Erupt/Freeze meditation ability, and nor do most newbies who create their first carts/boats and then quit the game.

6 minutes ago, Drayka said:

Of course it works. But I don't have Erupt/Freeze meditation ability, and nor do most newbies who create their first carts/boats and then quit the game.

well, i highly doubt that people who quit would care about destroying their own vehicle. And destroying someone else's vehicle on pve is a no-no. So may be decay should be hastened under some circumstances instead?

Yes, this is my thinking. If an account has been non-premium for enough time for a never-premiumed account to despawn, maybe vehicles owned by them should take higher decay?

Obviously quality of the vehicle would have a big impact on how much damage would be sustained.

5 minutes ago, Drayka said:

Yes, this is my thinking. If an account has been non-premium for enough time for a never-premiumed account to despawn, maybe vehicles owned by them should take higher decay?

well I know that my ex xanadu neighbour is using my runed wagon, which I never transferred to him but gave him all the perms instead. And toon which owns it is non-prem for a year already. So that solution doesn't sound all that good for this case at least.

This is why I asked for suggestions for a mechanic that would work well enough to be introduced to the game.

Only scenario I can think of is when the creator's account is deleted for inactivity, the cart loses its maker's signature and then decay speed is drastically accelerated. While it's in this state, If a player with command and inventory permissions examines the cart, ownership of the cart is then transferred to them.

I agree, all the junk carts players leave littered around is crazy, but the few that return may be upset if they log on after 6 weeks and find their cart has disappeared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Antony said:

Only scenario I can think of is when the creator's account is deleted for inactivity, the cart loses its maker's signature and then decay speed is drastically accelerated. While it's in this state, If a player with command and inventory permissions examines the cart, ownership of the cart is then transferred to them.

I agree, all the junk carts players leave littered around is crazy, but the few that return may be upset if they log on after 6 weeks and find their cart has disappeared.

Lol, the few that try to login again after a few weeks to find their never-premiumed free-to-play account has been deleted are confused and upset too. That hasn't stopped free-to-play accounts from being deleted for inactivity.

If being premium once is enough to make all your creations immune from deletion, then maybe these items could be 'logged off' with you in some way, after a certain amount of time? It wouldn't declutter the database, but it would declutter the server.

• Like 1

Looking through List of Buildings, I have the option to Demolish a building I built. It is purely wogical that I can delete a building I own, without even needing to see it, with 1 click.

I don't have that same option on my cart. Why not?

Because destroying a vehicle can try to drop too many items on one tile? Or because vehicles can be stolen by enemies?

6 minutes ago, Drayka said:

If being premium once is enough to make all your creations immune from deletion, then maybe these items could be 'logged off' with you in some way, after a certain amount of time? It wouldn't declutter the database, but it would declutter the server.

That's not a bad idea.

Has been suggested in the past.

It's been suggested in the past to clear up the clutter on the map. I'm too lazy to scroll through the threads but the basic gist was :

1. Increased Decay for offline players past a certain timespan.

2. Poof items similar to houses.

3. The ability to "break down" or "salvage'' items based on skill. Aka get some planks / nails from a cart.

Lot of garbage in wurm and too much protectionism of items that last for years. We should have something called "  vacation mode" = 6 months of item protection if you don't log in during that time. Your carts / ships take dmg but can't be accessed. If 6 months pass by the locks fall of them and they can be accessed and / or destroyed.

P.S : Unpopular opinion (No offence) but  the idea to put items on a lava tile seems like a convoluted chore to do something that should be simple. It takes more effort to destroy an item than to create it. It's ridiculou.s

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1