Sign in to follow this  
Zuelatak

Community Project Proposal: Sound Rework

Sound Rework

Thought up an idea the other night that I thought I'd share with everyone and maybe get some discussion going.

Idea: With the power of Wurm Assistant and chat logs we could use Wurm Assistant triggers to basically reimagine all of the sounds in Wurm and add in missing ones. 

I'm picturing a place for people to upload sounds to and then a place for people to upload their soundpacks that they've created whether it be hyper realistic or really memey. 

Example: "You sit on the [name]" Is outputted in the Event Log when you sit on something. We could have a trigger for that message and then play a sound byte for that activity. 

Pros:

• This would provide us the ability to add sounds to areas that are usually silent and also the ability to replace old sounds with new ones.

Concerns:

• Since Wurm Assistant triggers are based off a start message and not an end message I don't know how to create looping sound bytes that end when the activity is done. So, we could do a sound byte for hitting something because it's an instantaneous action, but something like mining has a varied amount of time needed.
  • I'm unsure where the sounds and soundpacks would be hosted. I thought Google Drive might be a good idea, but I wanted to hear what you all thought. IDK if I'd want to host this on my drive and I imagine it would need more than the free space provided. 

Things I think are needed to make this work: 

• Artistic people who are interested in making/finding sounds and creating soundpacks
  • Discussion about the concerns especially the one about how to host the files needed for this to work
Edited by Zuelatak
  • Like 2
  • Cat 2

Dwarf Fortress found itself with this exact solution; SoundSense.
It's an identical idea too; it reads various logs to see what's happening and plays relevant audio files.
The way it handles the actual audiofiles is that there's an "update soundpack" button that pulls from various free websources and any personally hosted custom content.
Here's an example of slaughtering a creature, plus audio source.
The source code is of course freely available so you can see where various sound files are actually pulled from, or you can probably just rework the whole thing to work with Wurm(I'm not sure what sort of license it's under).

So, this is like a super viable and interesting idea. Assuming this got any kind of traction you could probably even convince the Wurm devs to let more happenings be loggable for something like this to better respond to.

• Like 1

Cool idea. It'd be weird with no proximity / distance based volume though. A cow grazing 30 tiles away will sound as loud as a cow grazing right next to the player.

I could replace all system sounds with Diablo 2 sounds, like equipping gear, dropping items. Maybe have enemies 'moo' when they take damage so I've an audio response to how hard they were hit.

Or when someone smacks my ass I'll have Will Smith tell me it's hot.

Though I guess I can do most of this stuff without soundpacks.

On 4/28/2021 at 1:59 AM, Antony said:

Though I guess I can do most of this stuff without soundpacks.

How so? You aren't allowed to modify the game files if that was your plan. Which is why I thought this idea was a good one. 

On 4/28/2021 at 1:59 AM, Antony said:

It'd be weird with no proximity / distance based volume though.

This is another con, but I think doesn't cover all sounds.

For example, you can check for only when YOU put on armor and have your own armor sound attached to it.