Sign in to follow this  
Kadmint

The damn tackle boxes on most creation missions... drives me mad!

Hello!

So, I like doing epic missions a lot. However, I've started to realize that many item creation missions on Release consider tackle boxes! It's so boring to make hundreds of tackle boxes pretty much every week (and it can be multiple gods asking the tackle boxes in a row), since you cannot get any reasonable outcome from them (they give nothing when saccing for example). So PLEASE, I'm asking, make some variety on the items possible to create before my brain starts to melt. 🤪

• Like 2

+1 - also sick of tackle boxes. Making them, seeing them, sacrificing them. Make it stop

• Like 1

create 525 chain <random armor piece> ql30.. and sacrifice them

create 525 chains (as in js chains...) ql30.. and sacrifice them..

create 260 leather knives ql30.. and sacrifice them..

these are recent missions

tackleboxes are actually not bad for favor, and can be created quite high in ql by using hq-ish <metal lump>, shingles and leather strip, which does not make them fun to make when it happens to be a mission for the creation of 120-160 and each takes 9 actions(assuming the player have the skills and raw materials already laying around)

ccab worked to change content to make it easier for priests to be 'main' characters, yet we still have missions like <make 300-600 items> and improve them to ql30, than sacrifice them; neither new players nor priests can create or improve to ql30 for 1 or another reason;

Some of the missions still say create x amount of benches, altars, .. cant recall other items right now.. but these missions do not mention which type.. wooden/stone/golden(for altars);

Some missions for rituals require shard or sheet, these also do not mention metal/stone shard.. and type or the sheet - cloth or any of the metal types..

There's some inconsistency in the difficulty and partially given information forcing players to go to the place with 1 of every possible sheet/shard or create extra random altars all over the place

There are missions for creation of epic portals etc.. these things later just clutter the server unnecessary, can we have some kind of less random missions.. and for things easier to handle, wooden items usually can be picked up and burned easily if not needed

Few days ago there was a joke 'why there aren't any missions about making x amount of (large)crates', well.. good question.. useful and easy to 'hide' in a crate rack..

• Like 3

Maybe 30 ql requirement should be taken off.

Too much improving and mats and priests are not able to compete.

• Like 2

One should concentrate on really questionable missions. Many of them are gone. I recall a "create 120 spinnaker rigs" one which was certain to fail. Also practical jokes like "create a tapestry" (there are 10-20 of them) are certainly inappropriate, and "create an altar" at least questionable. The tackle box to sac indeed is not that hard, and it is always possible to make and imp the stuff for priests among villagers, priests, and allies, even players asking for in Freedom chat. Missions are a field for cooperation too. And the 30ql limit is, except for priests, only a hindrance for really new players who prolly are not that interested in SB and karma (it took me nearly a year and an invitation by neighbours to a give to and a rite mission to understand the concept altogether, maybe nowadays noobs are faster learners but though ..). 

In fact, devs and GM should analyze which missions frequently or always fail, and consider to change or abandon them. Else, I do not see that missions  are that bad.

Edited by Ekcin
typo
  • Like 1

Also another questionable design choice is that only about 10% or so of players actually have interest in missions or do them regularly. Note this is nothing more than my own personal experience with missions after many years of playtime. Not many people have been interested in them in freedom, except some boys wanting to pvp and having karma to fling or the occasional journal goal quester.

However the missions are scaled based on the flawed assumption that most of the wurm population would do said missions. Used to be worse in the past when we had those horrible "sacrifice 2000 blue flowers missions" but I don't see that much of an improvement these days when we have the "build a temple at X location..." or " sacrifice 200 decent two handed swords. I mean man takes about 3 kg of iron just for 1 sword. 600 kg to create + more to imp, it's just silly. It's an upgrade from "sacrifice 500 two handed swords" but the system needs some rethinking.

I agree we need some statistics on what types of missions are often left to "fail" or be incomplete.

My personal assessment would revolve around those "X god wants 15 of you (haha ...what a joke ....) to give a carrot to Avatar of bla bla near Dat Deed". I can't recall the last time I saw one of those missions actually complete.

Missions should be scaled to be honest about to 1/10 of a servers population in difficulty requirements. Not everyone wants karma / sb. Not everyone is interested in them. Most people do a part of them just for the journal goals and that's it. It's better to have 50 easy- mid difficulty missions a week rather than 10 difficult missions a week, out of which maybe 3 get completed.

Some missions have absurdly high time - cost requirements vs others. Not to mention certain missions are almost impossible to solo realistically.

See create 25 chairs vs create 10 bird cages (which have insanely high costs metallurgy wise).

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 10:44 AM, elentari said:

Also another questionable design choice is that only about 10% or so of players actually have interest in missions or do them regularly. Note this is nothing more than my own personal experience with missions after many years of playtime. Not many people have been interested in them in freedom, except some boys wanting to pvp and having karma to fling or the occasional journal goal quester.

However the missions are scaled based on the flawed assumption that most of the wurm population would do said missions. Used to be worse in the past when we had those horrible "sacrifice 2000 blue flowers missions" but I don't see that much of an improvement these days when we have the "build a temple at X location..." or " sacrifice 200 decent two handed swords. I mean man takes about 3 kg of iron just for 1 sword. 600 kg to create + more to imp, it's just silly. It's an upgrade from "sacrifice 500 two handed swords" but the system needs some rethinking.

I agree we need some statistics on what types of missions are often left to "fail" or be incomplete.

My personal assessment would revolve around those "X god wants 15 of you (haha ...what a joke ....) to give a carrot to Avatar of bla bla near Dat Deed". I can't recall the last time I saw one of those missions actually complete.

Missions should be scaled to be honest about to 1/10 of a servers population in difficulty requirements. Not everyone wants karma / sb. Not everyone is interested in them. Most people do a part of them just for the journal goals and that's it. It's better to have 50 easy- mid difficulty missions a week rather than 10 difficult missions a week, out of which maybe 3 get completed.

Some missions have absurdly high time - cost requirements vs others. Not to mention certain missions are almost impossible to solo realistically.

See create 25 chairs vs create 10 bird cages (which have insanely high costs metallurgy wise).

Don't wanna be a party-pooper but do people actually enjoy any "mission" ?

They're boring as hell, no matter what you're required to make, they're totally random and have nothing to do with your location / local surroundings / highest or lowest skill.

Wurm already feels like doing chores most of the times, why would I want do any mission after i've done my farms, animals, creating/imping, meditations and other time-consuming (daily) chores? The rewards aren't motivating for me to do the boring tasks.

aren't missions like a weird and boring alternative for Quests?

Why can't we have "missions" (cough-cough, Quests) like forage x amount of Fresh [random-herb] encouraging people to go out and forage tiles, Deliver x amount of dirt to the starting town of server x with a ship to encourage people visiting another servers / and using their ships? or anything other than make x amount of stuff? 

On Defiance they are used to boost the god of your kingdom, for playing the Valrei metagame. You also can only do missions of your kingdoms god. People in a kingdom cooperate to boost their kingdoms god, enemy kingdoms may want to interfere with your attempts to solve missions for strategic reasons.

Thats how its supposed to work if there were any reasonable amount of people left playing Defiance.

Anyways, any change in mission semantics needs to take the balancing of Valrei-enabled servers into account.

Edited by Gavaldor

On 5/5/2021 at 2:06 PM, Berms said:

Don't wanna be a party-pooper but do people actually enjoy any "mission" ?

They're boring as hell, no matter what you're required to make, they're totally random and have nothing to do with your location / local surroundings / highest or lowest skill.

Wurm already feels like doing chores most of the times, why would I want do any mission after i've done my farms, animals, creating/imping, meditations and other time-consuming (daily) chores? The rewards aren't motivating for me to do the boring tasks.

Why can't we have "missions" (cough-cough, Quests) like forage x amount of Fresh [random-herb] encouraging people to go out and forage tiles, Deliver x amount of dirt to the starting town of server x with a ship to encourage people visiting another servers / and using their ships? or anything other than make x amount of stuff? 

People do not like leaving deeds? Traveling is ugh.. once you get from A to B... you have to return to A... no teleports.. you can either grind for month/s to get a summon home at the cost of grind time alone or extra premium for a priest and running 2nd client just to get home fast.. than start ditching 5 speed horses and boats all over the server/s or spend 2x the time it takes to get to places ..or.. not travel because of the time it takes, how much time do you think a person have after work to roam around the maps to look for something?