Sign in to follow this  
Vorticella

Feeding guests

We need different permission settings for food. It's so difficult to feed people at public gatherings.

I suggest at the very least to add a permission setting on larders and other containers which will allow anyone to eat (but not take) from them, overriding building and deed permissions.

If this setting could also be added to tables, and even plates bowls etc it would drastically improve our experience with hosting public gatherings in a practical sense as well as for immersion and roleplay. We could be having so much more fun with community events if we could make use of the many beautiful food models we have available.

I had a lot of fun preparing this snack table for the Easter impalong, only to find that people couldn't actually eat anything due to restrictions which were sadly necessary to prevent theft. Food shouldn't need to follow the same rules as other items. It's a central part of most gatherings and is key to making any social space feel cozy and inviting, but it's not very motivating to do something like this if everything is just going to sit and rot, and guests are made to feel like thieves for trying to take a bite :( 

I wish I could have just right clicked those tables and changed a setting to allow anyone to eat from them :)

DRF_snack_table.jpg

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 9

Yeah, there was so much food that was no longer available when we unfortunately had to change deed permissions because some people could not play nice, and went around and intentionally stole other peoples stuff from the containers. Even adding a permission setting to a building to say "All food in this building is ok for anyone to eat", would help for now, and then maybe this whole thing could be solved in a better manner in permissions 2.0 (I want to make a draft of ideas for that one, but have not gotten to it yet) :)

• Like 1

Agreed, it was so lovely to see the table - I even got to have a little bit of it due to staff permissions...at least it looked super lovely.

This would also help for when we're feeding alt accounts that we don't want to have the same level of permissions on, whether it be because they're in allied deeds or not.

• Like 1

Dining al fresco is the way to get around that. Outdoor eating areas are all the rage now :)

I've found on my deed that larders do work for eating from if you add a lock and give the "everyone" permissios, but a better solution for all food would be nice to have

• Like 1

+100 I agree. Food set out on a table should be accessible to all guests. Allow buffet table settings or something of the like. Or make a specific craftable buffet table that allows anything placed on it to be accessible to all.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jospicy said:

I've found on my deed that larders do work for eating from if you add a lock and give the "everyone" permissios, but a better solution for all food would be nice to have

That didn't seem to work when I tried it but maybe the proximity thing was causing trouble in that case (that also shouldn't apply to food). It also gives people permission to take the food, which isn't ideal if it's something that's meant to be shared and/or last a while. "Eat" should be a separate setting, so people can be allowed to eat without having pick up permissions.

Edit: I just tested this again and I can't make it work. I attached a lock and set it to everyone ("may open" is the only option I can see), moved away and waited a few mins and still not allowed to eat from it with my alt. It seems like building/deed permissions override it, or am I missing something? Our solution right now is to have the unlocked larder loaded into a cart where people have access to the hold. It's silly and impractical for multiple reasons. People can eat from there, but they can also take the food. It doesn't let me add items while the larder is in the cart, so if we want to refill it or return something that was picked up by mistake, the larder has to be unloaded and loaded again, and if nobody is around who can do that at the time then it's just too bad.

Edited by Vorticella

14 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

Dining al fresco is the way to get around that. Outdoor eating areas are all the rage now :)

Wouldn't people need permission to pick up items on deed for that to work?

+1, This would be sooooo good for all kinds of co-op gameplay!

I'd be so happy if they started with simply expanding larder permissions to allow this. That in itself would give us the functionality.

Adding special perms to tables and stuff like that could come later and would also be cool to have in general.

Want to host big events like impalongs or smaller events like a unique slaying? Add a feeding larder!

Want to hire workers for menial tasks for a big project and supply them with food? Add a feeding larder!

Want to feed your alliance some affinity food but not have to worry about if the pizzas will get accidentally/purposefully taken? Add a feeding larder!

So much possibilities!

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 2

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but 

Eating out

In order to make it easier for providing food at events and such, players will be able to eat foods from locked containers as long as they have the may open permission, and the may enter building permission.

Maybe this helps? I never tested this but if i understand this correctly, it allows eating but disallows taking out the food due to denied pick-up permission?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Locath said:

Maybe this helps? I never tested this but if i understand this correctly, it allows eating but disallows taking out the food due to denied pick-up permission?

Oh man, I didn't realize this was already possible! Sweet!

• Like 1

+1

Personally I like the idea of adding container type permissions to tables that override deed settings, but the larder idea is good to.

Heck any way of implementing this is an improvement over current.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Locath said:

Thanks for pointing this out! Will have to check how the permissions are set currently. It could be that they haven't enabled "may enter" because it's a very open building and that permission seems irrelevant. It certainly doesn't feel connected to interacting with food or other items. If "may enter" allows people to eat food, then I wonder if it also grants some other access that we don't necessarily want to open up. It seems impossible to be sure which settings have which effects.

Even if this method works, this was way too complicated and I stand by the suggestion. Especially for tables! Imagine having guests over in real life and making them eat dinner directly out of the fridge 😆 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

Even if this method works, this was way too complicated and I stand by the suggestion. Especially for tables! Imagine having guests over in real life and making them eat dinner directly out of the fridge 😆 

I'm always for more granular permissions on everything but this might work as a viable workaround in the interim.

Again, i never tested if it works but maybe it applies to decorations on tables as well? They are considered a container now i think. Worth a shot.

Looking at my empty feasting tables has prompted me to bump this. Didn't see anything in the updates for it. Please let me properly feed my visiting guests from a table as intended.

• Like 2

Agreed that this is an issue in need of a clear solution.

For me, the most obvious answer is to add "May Eat" to permissions for buildings.